Introduction: Joe

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Re: Introduction: Joe

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger, Ranger Jim will do!
68W OPT 40 
SHIP DATE: 20150414

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

The final assignment in my history course was a primary source review that I chose Frank Johnson's "Diary of an Airborne Ranger" as my source for review. Good opportunity to shed some light on the Vietnam experience and the role of the Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol. Great read, gained much more than I had expected; the book provides a first hand example of the experience in a year of deployment in combat zones. I tried to honor the work and service of Frank Johnson - and his lineage as a Ranger - with equal representation in my own paper, which resulted in a perfect score. I feel like I did his work justice.
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

My PFT:
Push ups: 48
Sit ups:55
Pull ups: 9
2 mile run: 17:26

Current weight: 178

Overall, disappointed. I expected scores to have dropped due to the break I took. My firsts tests were a bit padded since they were done with the direction of a friend in the Navy. I thought I had proper form then. I have since got with a buddy who is a soldier, he gave me a lot of feedback on my form. I'm doing deeper push-ups now and sit ups with arms behind head, instead of across chest, and going further on the down movement. Due to busy schedule I haven't been able to ruck or run as much as I would like and have instead been ruck-running in my fire turn out-gear while breathing through SCBA (30-40 pounds). I'm sure the cardiovascular exercise in such harsh conditions is what provided the drop in run time; I want to continue to incorporate this. My first mile was just about 7 min, a great improvement for me, but I hit a wall and lagged. A bit of long distance training should help keep that pace longer. I plan sub 14 min for 2 mile in about 2 months. I've been back at it for two weeks, and plan to increase intensity a bit starting this week. I plan to share improvements in 3 weeks. Semester ends the 16th of this month; about a month and a half of no school will make for some good workouts.
68W OPT 40 

gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Man, you seem like a good guy and your head is in the right place but you really need some guidance on PT. Those scores are absolutely abysmal and there has been little to no improvement in your APFT score since you joined the site. There is no time to be fucking around dude, you have to want it. NO EXCUSES. It takes like 30 minutes of your day to go for a good run. Thats it. THATS FUCKING IT. If my memory is correct it was about a month from me visiting the recruiter for the first time to straight up leaving for basic training with a Ranger Medic contract. If you were leaving in one month, you wouldnt even pass basic training.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger, Ranger gRavepc! I do want this. I appreciate your constructive criticism. I hate my pt scores. Going further, my pt will reflect my intentions.
68W OPT 40 

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

G.I.434 wrote:My PFT:
Push ups: 48
Sit ups:55
Pull ups: 9
2 mile run: 17:26

Current weight: 178

Overall, disappointed. I expected scores to have dropped due to the break I took. My firsts tests were a bit padded since they were done with the direction of a friend in the Navy. I thought I had proper form then. I have since got with a buddy who is a soldier, he gave me a lot of feedback on my form. I'm doing deeper push-ups now and sit ups with arms behind head, instead of across chest, and going further on the down movement. Due to busy schedule I haven't been able to ruck or run as much as I would like and have instead been ruck-running in my fire turn out-gear while breathing through SCBA (30-40 pounds). I'm sure the cardiovascular exercise in such harsh conditions is what provided the drop in run time; I want to continue to incorporate this. My first mile was just about 7 min, a great improvement for me, but I hit a wall and lagged. A bit of long distance training should help keep that pace longer. I plan sub 14 min for 2 mile in about 2 months. I've been back at it for two weeks, and plan to increase intensity a bit starting this week. I plan to share improvements in 3 weeks. Semester ends the 16th of this month; about a month and a half of no school will make for some good workouts.
You need to drop all the extra BS PT (ie SCBA PT) and focus like a laser beam on push ups, sit ups, pull ups and 2 mile run, the only way to increase in these areas is by doing these exercises. Don't over think the process, think KISS (keep it simple stupid). Once you have your 2 mile run time down to around 15 to 16 minutes then start to work on your 5 mile run, while still trying to improve your 2 mile run. Remember, don't over train, but don't back off on training either. Find a workout on here that works for you and do it. If you really want IT(RANGER), then you have to put the time in to get IT (RANGER). Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger, Ranger rangerjd! I will focus on the problem at hand and always give everything I got! At this point, I am all that prevents me from reaching my goals. My pt will improve. Thank you for your direction.
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Today was my Ranger in the sky's birthday. Busted ass hard. Ran 2 miles in 14:48. Taking a few minutes celebration and I'll get back to the leaning rest. Will post a real pft soon.
68W OPT 40 

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

The last PT test I see for you was posted on Dec 9th, 2014. That's the wrong answer. How is your progress going. Post an updated PT test.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger Ranger rangerjd, will post new pft score on this coming Monday. I feel I am progressing well physically but have the greatest improvement in running. I have focused on calisthenics and doing slow deep reps. I am going to start implementing longer distance runs for my 5 mile time.
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

My PFT:
Push ups: 52
Sit ups:61
Pull ups: 12
2 mile run: 16:10

Current weight: 174
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

For a couple weeks I was doing a 6 day a week 2-a-day schedule that I couldn't keep up with. I have gone back to a once a day, 6 days a week workout that is giving more quality workouts. I am focusing on form over quantity.

About 4 days before my last pft I ran a 14:40 two mile, but my pft shows a 16:10 two mile. On my pft run I started out faster than the previous run, and felt strong. At about 1.57 miles I felt this a really strong cramp in my stomach that spread to my legs and made them slow and heavy, forced me to slow down. I wasn't tired, very frustrating to slow down. I don't care about throwing up. I will throw up and keep going for a better time, but I couldn't fight through this "heavy" feeling. I slowed down a bit, and tried going faster once it went away. Every time I would step up the pace so would the "heavy". Off hand I feel this might be a deal with dehydration or eating. Once I know how to get around this issue my run time will show an even better time.

The movie "Four Minute Mile" really opened my eyes to how mental running is and how it sucks for everyone. Honestly, I was being a puss and not pushing hard enough. "Your body is capable of more than you think"

My next pft will be in two weeks and I hope to show at least the same improvement that I saw between my last two.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

check your PMs. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger Ranger Jim!
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Rangers,
Pushing pft to next Monday. Starting to get the symptoms of the flu that is going around here. Didn't want to make it worse for a poor score while I'm sick. Still doing regular workout.
68W OPT 40 

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”