Introduction: Joe

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Re: Introduction: Joe

Post by G.I.434 »

Thank you Ranger IntelToad!
68W OPT 40 
SHIP DATE: 20150414

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Rangers, I have read on this forum that time in-DEP can be granted out as far as the end of a college semester. I plan to finish the entire school year (take courses next semester as well). My recruiter is aware of my plans, and he is also pushing for me to get to MEPS. I have also read that longer time in-DEP is actually benificial, and have no problem with getting the trip over with, and signing papers, as long as I can finish the school year. MEPS visit is schedueled for next Monday-Tuesday, October 6-7.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Great meeting you, Joe. Hopefully, breakfast with a bunch of old Rangers did not convince you not to enlist as a Ranger Medic. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Ranger Jim, it was great meeting you! What an opportunity. After meeting those Rangers, I don't think anything could convince me not to enlist as a Ranger Medic!

Rangers, I have had an eventful week.

After Action Review- Ranger Breakfast 20141004

Ranger Jim extended an invitation to a "Ranger Breakfast." You can only imagine what I thought this would be! I expected I would be the main course, served with heaping sides of push ups, running, and an assault for what knowledge of Rangers and Ranger history I might have. I thought I was going to be eaten alive! Now much can be gained from a grueling session of pt, but what I was actually able to attend was much more rewarding,

I couldn't let such an opportunity pass me by. I was going. Woke up early, arrived early. Just in case, I made sure I knew the Ranger Creed top to bottom. I must have recited it 1000 times between the drive up and day before.

I walked in and introduced myself to a few who had arrived before me. After some suggestions on the menu selection, I immediately began absorbing some first hand knowledge. I shook hands with others as seats began to fill up. Next thing I knew, I was the only cherry in a room full of 20 or 30 Rangers! Great way to start a Saturday I thought. My only regret is not having two sets of ears to listen to both sides of the table! I met Rangers from all walks of life: recently returned from deployment, Officers, a Westpointer, Enlisted men, Enlisted to Officer, Ranger to Special Forces, Vietnam era, and even a few Korean era individuals from the 2d Infantry Company (Airborne)- I purchased "The US Army's First, Last, and Only All-Black Rangers" from them. After breakfast I was taken and introduced to the Rangers I had not met yet.

I learned much about the life of a Ranger and Ranger history. The camaraderie and brotherhood I witnessed was second to none. Some of these guys had never met before, and spoke like they knew each other for years. Trumps the brotherhood I have seen from friends in the "big" military, and experiences with the fire service, easily. They wanted to share their experiences, They wanted to answer questions. It is easy to see where they hold their selves in relation to the team. They wanted to make me more aware, more knowledgeable; so that when I earn their title, I might be a better Ranger. Make Rangers, as a whole, better.

I made a point to be last out. A few stayed late to speak with me. I was at home. I feel like I won the lottery, hit the jackpot. I was invited to attend future Ranger Breakfasts and to a larger Ranger Rally later this month. It was a glimpse into the brotherhood I hope to join, history lesson, and answer to many questions. I thought I was motivated before; I owe it to the men who took their time to shed some light on me to drive on harder than ever. Rangers definitely lead the way!!!

I will share an AAR on my trip to MEPS within the next 24. I have a pretty date to a friend's wedding tonight, so hopefully later rather than sooner!
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

After Action Review- MEPS 20141006-07

My trip to MEPS went very well. Wish I had brought ear plugs for the ASVAB but was fortunate enough to score a 91. Finished pretty quick and waited till almost 9 for the bus ride home. Originally it was intended to have a shuttle running between hotel and MEPS, but a lack of buses meant one trip for everyone. I had a paper to write, so this meant staying up till 1 to write it. Woke up at 430. Breakfast and then bus back. Thankfully I received direction from Ranger Grim666 to make sure I was going to receive an airborne physical and was able to get that squared away first thing. Passed all the physical and exam stations with no troubles.

When it came time for job counseling things hit a brick wall. I was informed the acquired skills program doesn't work with option 40. No biggie, option 40 all the way. ROC call for available 68w option 40s, one with a shipping date April/May. Perfect works with school. But then a stop. They tell me I can never work in health care because of an alcohol citation I received at 18. I say "ma'am it says no history of alcoholism, I don't have alcoholism". Her response, "it says alcohol, that's all that matters. No history of drugs or alcohol." Because of my score she sends a request for exemption up. We wait almost 3 hours for a response. At 350 they tell me I'll have to come back with a second choice next time in case it gets turned down. Processing is shut down at 4 p.m so if you're not signing by 350, it's a no go. At 410 my counselor grabs me to show the request was granted! Awesome, quick trip next Friday. The next day my recruiter tells me it was a waste of time, I should have signed because alcoholism is not the same as an alcohol citation. Whatever, I am thankful to be moving forward; it could be way worse than waiting a few days to sign.

I feel very fortunate to be moving forward. I owe it to all the men who are smarter and stronger than me, who can't receive the opportunity for some minute medical "issue", to dominate the obstacles ahead of me. I feel, more so than ever, this is what I am called for.

MEPS is what you make of it. I was respectful to everyone. Took the process seriously, was attentive and did everything I could to make the gears turn smooth. My reward, I was put to the front of lines. I had no issues at any event. The people helped me. I got a second sandwich at lunch. You will want a second sandwich. My job counselor wanted me to get the job I wanted. Others goofed around like idiots. They're reward, to quote, "you're gonna be standing there for a long time. Get your head out of your ass!" It's surprising how many people there fall under the latter.

I will be returning this coming Friday.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joe, Well done AARs. You have come a long way in a short time. It has been a pleasure watching you progress. We are not breakfasting the first Saturday in November, but I will keep you informed as things develop. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Ranger Jim, thank you very much. I look forward to it.
68W OPT 40 

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Enjoyed reading both AARs, keep driving on. A Ranger Medic is a very special individual, he is looked up to by all who know him. One of the greatest titles that a person can earn is the title of "DOC". Don't take it lightly. Keep your eye on the prize and never, ever quit.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger Ranger Rangerjd! Thank you very much. I will continue working as hard as I can.

Just finished my workout. Grabbing some much needed sleep before meeting recruiter at 0345 tomorrow for the trip to MEPS. I hope it will be quick. Check in tomorrow with an update. Nothing less than option 40!!
68W OPT 40 

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Rangers, my trip to MEPS was an absolute bust.

After Action Review- MEPS 20141017

Couldn't sleep the night before, stayed up till 0100 reading "Lest We Forget" (great read, hilarious). Met my recruiter at 0345. Arrived at 0530.

Check-in goes smooth, wait about 25 minutes and I am the first to be called back. A week prior my recruiter pulled a job for me with a shipping date that was much too early, didn't fit my college schedueling. He assured me that the proof of enrollment papers would allow them to push the shipping date back and everything would go fine. Of course, unkown to me at the time, a shipping date cannot just be moved, there has to be available slots for proper training at a later date. There were no later dates available at this time.

They tried to get me to sign a contract for 68w with no option, assuring me that a 40 could be picked up between now and then easy. They tried very hard, I talked to 3 or 4 guys in the office, sat on the phone with someone who assured me his intentions where sound. Very convincing, believable. I just kept thinking back to the words "option 40 or nothing", that I should not sign unless it is everything I want.

Then they started to lie to me. The man I spoke to on the phone asked why I wanted the option so badly. To sum up my answer: I wanna surround myself with the best men in the Army, I want to take advantage of the best medical training in the world, I want to be an Army Ranger. His response: Rangers are not the best, there are great men in all of the Army, and Special Forces are really the best, you aren't garunteed a slot in the SOCM course as a Ranger Medic, and you can go to Ranger school and get your tab at any time in the big Army. I wanted to hang up on him, get up and say I was tired of playing their bullshit games. Of course I took a much more respectful approach, thanked him for taking the time to talk to me, that I just didn't feel comfortable gambling with the chance of adding the option and my carrer/life.

Nothing to do here now, I headed out with my family. We all believed I was signing. Very dissapointing.

Recieved a call from my recruiters boss later that day. My recruiter told him this was all my fault, that I withheld information from him, etc. So he told me I need to be more responsible and understand that I am wasting everyones time and money. He eventually started to say that my actions might limit my oppurtunities to sign with the Army. I am only doing what I am told. On the ride up my recruiter told me he really didn't care about his job and that an ass chewing is only 10 minutes of time. I am concerned moving forward, now that I need to regularly check for openings. I think it might be best for me to switch recruiters but I don't know what that would entail.

I am frustrated but far from giving up. Wish I had better news to share. Appreciate all I have gained from this forum to get this far, and not be stuck with some big Army contract.
68W OPT 40 

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Hopefully and I am sure by now you have taken the time to read through many of the threads on here to see someone in a similar situation. First keep your head up. You did all what you were told. You stuck by your guns. I would stick with the recruiter for the moment until he becomes a problem. Then start looking. Right now you were simply turned away. Wait a few days and call him again and feel the situation out. Then go from there. Others might have advice to add but for now stick with what you have and roll with it.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Grim666 wrote:Hopefully and I am sure by now you have taken the time to read through many of the threads on here to see someone in a similar situation. First keep your head up. You did all what you were told. You stuck by your guns. I would stick with the recruiter for the moment until he becomes a problem. Then start looking. Right now you were simply turned away. Wait a few days and call him again and feel the situation out. Then go from there. Others might have advice to add but for now stick with what you have and roll with it.
I agree with Ranger Grim666, you've got a goal, focus like a laser beam on that goal. Make sure you reiterate that goal to your recruiter, so that he understands. Some times the goal of the recruiter/MEPS is different than the goal of the recruit, they have quotas they need to fill. IF YOU WANT RANGER, EXCEPT NOTHING LESS. As long as you meet the requirements, in all areas, there is no reason for you not to come out of this with an option 40 contract. Never, ever, quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joe, Stick with it and don't give up, nor accept anything other than 68W, option 40. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger, Ranger Grim666, Ranger rangerjd, and Ranger Jim. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. My head is up and I am driving forward. I really want this and I realize recruiting issues are probably some of the lesser obstacles I will be faced with, but I won't lie, being totally confident in what my future was going to be one minute and then the next having it almost flipped upside down was a pretty stressful event. I put too much trust into the recruiting staff and it got the best of me. I apologize for my recent hiatus but, after the time MEPS had used up, I had to step away for a bit to focus on coursework. I also realize that I will surely have the same experience in the future since the Army Rangers are a Rapid Deployment Force; I have learned the importance of flexibility ("no pasa nada"). During this time I also took about a two week break from a strict workout. I did manage to stay somewhat active with few runs and a climb of Old Rag Mountain in Virginia (which was truly awe-inspiring, a real confidence builder). I finished "Lest We Forget" (hilarious, informative, motivating) and have since started "Sua Sponte". Tomorrow, I will be returning to a strict workout schedule. The Ranger Creed is a constant thought, I am doing my best to live it. In two weeks I will administer myself the PFT to see where I stand.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joe, it is good to hear (read) that you are staying focused. Stay on your recruiter; there are 68W Option 40s available. Please stay in touch with us, and keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”