Introduction: Tyler

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Introduction: Tyler

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Rangers,

My name is Tyler, 20, and I am currently awaiting a response from MEPS regarding an ADHD diagnoses in 2002. I have been off medication for 4 years, graduated high school with a 3.25 GPA, and scored a 97 on the ASVAB. My hope is to sign an 11x option 40 contract when(if) my medical paperwork becomes approved.

I have been interested in joining the military since I was a child; specifically a special operations unit since 2012. My father served as an officer in the Air Force for 25 years, and it is mostly through his influence that I was inspired to serve. I have spent the last 2 years training to join the NSW SEAL program, but the Navy did not seem keen on approving my paperwork in a timely manner. Upon switching to the Army, I am seemingly eligible for both 11x Option 40 and 18x contracts. My PUHLES is 111121: the vision in my left eye is 20/20, right eye is 20/40 (uncorrectable). I will most likely not find out how much of a hindrance this will be until after I finish my MEPS evaluation. Rangers seem a wiser course of action over Special Forces as it is my understanding that the average SF graduate is older and more mature, with prior military experience. I am a highly competitive, intuitive individual, and special operations provides the challenge, brotherhood, and training to push me even further. Why Rangers specifically? Honestly, it's because I meet the vision requirements; anything that puts me near the front serving my country sounds good to me.

Other "introduction-ees" have been asked to post their PT scores. Here is where I'm at:

500m swim w/ combat side stroke: 8min, 45sec
Push-ups: 82
Curl-ups: 127
Pull-ups: 18
1.5 mi run: 9min, 30sec

and I ruck with upwards of 50lbs for 8 miles twice a week.

Any knowledge about procedure regarding ADHD/my vision situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tyler

Gains
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Tyler

Post by Gains »

I know what it's like being limited in your choices because of things outside of your control. My eyesight is considerably worse than yours and I was right on the cusp of not being eligible for an Option 40 because of it (yes it's that bad). You seem to be taking your PT seriously which is the best thing you can do for yourself at this point. It's one of the few things you -can- control. Some advice: move away from the Navy PFT and start doing full sit-ups with your fingers interlocked behind your head, moving the base of your neck past the base of your spine. YouTube a proper Army sit-up. Also, start running longer distances to find your pace if you haven't already. I'm sure someone with more intimate knowledge of recruiting procedures and medical issues is on this site ready to help. Check out the DEP forum and read away. Good luck.
C co 2/75: 2011-2014
Currently HHC 2/75
RS Class: 04-13
RLTW!

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Ranger Gains,

Thank you for the encouragement - its good to hear that someone succeeded with a worse condition than me. Roger that on the sit-ups. My 5 mile run time is averaging 38 minutes (goal is <35) and I can maintain a 8-9 minute/mile pace for 8-12 miles. My main concern right now is improving my ruck pace. I'm training around Las Vegas, NV, so I'm dealing with lots of mountains and hills. Not great stuff for getting a good pace reading, but plenty good for killing my legs.

Thanks again.

Tyler

Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Tyler!

PM inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Any new developments? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Where there is a will, there is a way. Not suggesting by any means that you do something unscrupulous, but I know someone who's vision was so bad he was totally DQ'd from airborne duty, and he found a way to make it. He was smart enough to figure out that the Pentagon has been using the same eye chart since, like, 1941. He just went and committed it to memory.I didn't find out till we ordered glasses for him and it took like 9 months because they had to be made at the Newport News Navy hospital. Our gain, because he was (and still is..) one of the finest Soldiers that I ever knew. He is still serving as an officer in EOD.

Good luck, and welcome.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Ranger Jim,

The MEPS station in Salt Lake City is apparently experiencing some issues in the staffing department, and not many people are getting medically processed out of Las Vegas. I spoke with my recruiters boss last week, and he said they try to maintain a strict 72-hour turn around time on paperwork once they get to it, but he has no idea when they'll get to my particular package.

He SAID that he is calling his superiors every day to try and get some pressure on MEPS to speed up. He also said that the MEPS doctors are civilians and don't give a rat's ass about military pressure. So far, my recruiting station has been very helpful, and he could be telling the truth, or he could be telling me what I want to hear.

Best estimates from them were a ship date sometime in October or November. I will let you know as soon as I am cleared medically to proceed to my MEPS physical.

Ranger Sleepy Doc,

I would never do anything unscrupulous... but I may just get me one of those eye charts, for decorative purposes. Got a blank spot on my wall that could use a new poster. Thank you for not suggesting that to me.

Honestly, my main concern is not disqualification (I am pretty sure my vision falls within qualified parameters) but I am concerned about shooting. I took my ar-15 to the range last week, and my right eye grouping may have included targets in the lane next to me... Do they require soldiers to be able to shoot with both eyes? I believe the official diagnoses is amblyopia. My right eye will not be improved with glasses, but it is well within the 20/20; 20/100 regulation. Am I "good", or should I make use of my new interior decor?

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Just got a call from my Recruiter - no progress as of yet. They believe that the Navy transferred my entire medical record (which is longer than the bible) to Army MEPS, and so it may take them awhile to go through that...

I took an APFT today to replace the Navy one I posted previously. My results are:

Push-ups: 85
Sit-ups: 80
2-mile run: 13:20

Pull-ups: 17

5-mile run: 37:15

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

a) It appears that you have a solid PT baseline to work on.
b) You might find this link helpful as you decide what MOS to choose. Never, never quit!

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Roger Ranger Jim.

Got the call this morning - paperwork has been cleared and they're gonna try and get me to MEPS next Thursday.

I've looked through the available MOS's, although I have had my heart set on Infantry for a while. If, however, 11x is not available, what should I expect from a "supporting role" MOS in the regiment?

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Update: They're bussing me to the Salt Lake City MEPS on Tuesday-Wednesday.

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Rangers: I was told that I may be submitting for a waiver for ADHD, but that this would not hinder my Option 40 contract. Is this true?

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

tjaydonsmith wrote:Rangers: I was told that I may be submitting for a waiver for ADHD, but that this would not hinder my Option 40 contract. Is this true?
This is a decision of the Surgeon General. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

Roger Ranger Jim.

tjaydonsmith
Embryo

Post by tjaydonsmith »

MEPS went as expected: I require a waiver to clear my ADHD diagnoses, but before they can submit for that, they require further documentation on my vision problem. Passed everything else on the physical. It will probably take a couple weeks before I have any new information.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”