Introduction - Patrick

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

cobrast1ng
Embryo

Introduction - Patrick

Post by cobrast1ng »

Hello,

My name is Patrick, and I have been reading through this site anonymously for quite some time. Now that I am fully on track, I feel it would be of greater benefit to actively participate and periodically seek further counsel as I progress my first year and ultimately achieve my goal.

To give you some context, I did the college thing and majored in in political science/history. I had attended the ROTC Leader’s Training Course prior to my junior year, and fulfilled the entire MS3 year as a cadet,
performing very well; unfortunately, by the time my medical waiver came through and was academically eligible to contract, it was too late and could not secure one to coincide with my graduation year, or even the next one..

So, I have spent the last year working in a real estate firm as an assistant while further maturing myself mentally and physically. Although being an Officer was my initial goal, and still is for career progression down the road, I’ve realized that enlisting with an MOS of my choice and gaining enlisted experience would be better suited for me than potentially being assigned to an Officer MOS based on the needs of the Army, especially in this downsizing climate.

In the last few years, I’ve learned that there will always be talkers, don’t’ers, and progress-resistant individuals looking to plague those who desire success. With that, I have disassociated myself with said individuals, stopped the life of chasing girls (not that I was successful ha), said no to drinking beyond one or two, and have maintained a positive and healthy lifestyle-dropping 25lbs in the last year. With regard to enlisting, I aspire to join the ranks of other high speed and motivated individuals, hence my desire to join the 75th.

I did well on the ASVAB to get what I sought and my current APFT is as follows:

Push-ups 2min: 90
Sit-ups 2min: 85
Pull-ups: 14
Run 2mile: 14:35

I may have been a pain to deal with at my local Recruiting Station; however, I finally received a reservation (2nd time around) for the one job I longed-this time securing an Option 40 and shipping late October. MEPS and signing will be on Wednesday. In any event, I appreciate this forums purpose and all the counsel toward aspiring individuals seeking to join your ranks. Rangers, thank you for your time and service.

Patrick
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Patrick

Post by Jim »

Welcome Patrick, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing OK. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores leave some room for improvement. Please come back and let us know when you have taken your oath. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Patrick . . .if becoming a Ranger is what really want to do, this is the right place to be. As Ranger Jim said, you need to work on your PT before you enter the service. This work will pay off later down the road.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Good luck.

Don't worry, if you make it to Regiment you'll be right back to chasing girls and drinking. It'll be well earned too.

(...sure talks like an Officer don't he.)
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Welcome. Bring your run time down 1.5-2 minutes
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike11C11B wrote:Welcome. Bring your run time down 1.5-2 minutes
IS this a typo/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Jim wrote:
IS this a typo/
I think what he's trying to say is that the Poly-Sci major needs to reduce his run times by 1.5-2 minutes....either that or someone needs to let Patrick know that this event should be done at a RUN, not a fast walk.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Slowpoke wrote:
Jim wrote:
IS this a typo/
I think what he's trying to say is that the Poly-Sci major needs to reduce his run times by 1.5-2 minutes....either that or someone needs to let Patrick know that this event should be done at a RUN, not a fast walk.
Just meant from 14:30s down to 13:00 and faster. Otherwise his initial scores aren't bad.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome cobrast1ng.

PM inbound.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Did you take your oath today?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, young man. Thanks for your willingness to become an Army Ranger. If you will look, listen and pay attention to details, you can learn a great deal here that will help you on your journey. Please read and heed the ROE PM I just sent you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Thank you Ranger Jim, Ranger CharlieRanger 1FFV, Ranger cams, Ranger Mike11C11B, Ranger Affirm, Ranger Ron, and Bronco for your welcome.

Ranger Jim, it saddens me as I was really looking forward to confirming the good news, but no. The MEPS Doctor got me on eyesight and requested a consult to make sure I don't have some other disqualifying eye condition that they're unable to know from their simple eye exam (which I don't). From what I read regarding the requirements, myopia cannot exceed -8.0/+8.0. With my astigmatism, (prescription) in one eye is a little over -3; their policy forwards me to see an Eye Consult to be clear.

Ranger Affirm, I will most definitely work to increase my run time and push myself harder. Lately I have been training doing sprints and interval running. You are right about needing to push myself out of my comfort zone as I haven't really tried pushing it to the point where my lungs start to feel like acid. As for my recent timed miles I run on a marked trail that has periodic upward grades; however, I will run on a track this weekend to see where I am at again for the 2-mile as well the 5-mile.

In the mean time, I will stay focused and continue to train physically and mentally. Currently reading Sua Sponte by Dick Couch, and learning The Ranger Creed.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cobrast1ng wrote: Ranger Jim, it saddens me as I was really looking forward to confirming the good news, but no. The MEPS Doctor got me on eyesight and requested a consult to make sure I don't have some other disqualifying eye condition that they're unable to know from their simple eye exam (which I don't). From what I read regarding the requirements, myopia cannot exceed -8.0/+8.0. With my astigmatism, (prescription) in one eye is a little over -3; their policy forwards me to see an Eye Consult to be clear.
That's bullshit. I have worn coke bottles since I was six years old. 20/400--damn near legally blind. Find a supportive Ophthalmologist and get him to request a waiver.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Jim wrote:That's bullshit. I have worn coke bottles since I was six years old. 20/400--damn near legally blind. Find a supportive Ophthalmologist and get him to request a waiver.
Hi Ranger Jim, thank you for that info - it is reassuring that my eyes shouldn't impede me from achieving this goal. I am 20/80 in one eye, and 20/200 in the other (both corrected to 20/20), but what got me was the high astigmatism in the right. I finally had my Ophthalmologist appointment last Wednesday that gave me the OK, and the Doctor at MEPS put in for a waiver which was thankfully granted last Friday. I will be going to MEPS again tomorrow morning.

Based on my observations, one concern is that my recruiters and the counselor at MEPS only seek to have people sign regardless of for what. Meeting many people during my time at MEPS make it clear why - most young individuals lack that purpose and direction and simply don't care what they get. But while I hate to be a pain in the ass, before I do I plan on going in knowing all the right information, and be firm if needed. And so, I have scoured the internet to see whether a waiver is a DQ for the 75th or an Option 40, and have heard both ways. Did you require a waiver for your eyes upon joining Ranger Jim?
I can't seem to find a clear and up-to-date answer on the web as to whether or not a waiver deems one ineligible to have an Option 40 in my initial contract. Based on just the Army website, there is no mention of such. However, in my findings I did find one post saying that having a medical waiver of any kind is a NO-GO for Airborne, thus canceling out the Option 40. If I am indeed a NO-GO then at least I can be at peace knowing I've exhausted my efforts and by having the right information; and will simply continue to drive for it once I'm already in.

PT UPDATE AS OF 8/10/14
Push-Ups 2min: 94
Sit-Ups 2min: 86
Pull-Ups: 16
5-Mile Run: 38:26

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”