Intro - 68wHopeful

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Hank1993
Embryo

Intro - 68wHopeful

Post by Hank1993 »

Good afternoon Rangers,

My name is Hank, and I'm 21 years old. I currently work on commercials in Los Angeles. I have been waiting on a 68W option 40 contract for months, to no avail. I have signed a plain jane 68W contract and ship to Fort Jackson this October. I hope to have the opportunity to earn a place at RASP while IET. My PT needs a great deal of improvement. I have no excuses as I have seen many DEPs on this board do more with less. I am PTing every day and am looking to improve significantly by the time I ship. I do not know if I qualify for mentorship at this point, but would be thankful for any advice you would be willing to give.

PU: 65

SU: 80

RUN: 14:10

PULL-UPS: 8

Thank you for your service to our nation.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - 68wHopeful

Post by Jim »

Welcome Hank, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing OK. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores leave room for improvement. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. There are a number of 68Ws on the site. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

First I would start to think of other names. I believe that once Ranger Steadfast comes along you will need to change your name. 68W cannot be in it as you have not yet attained that title. I can only say that from my past experience...... Second there are a lot of great improvement programs right here on the site use them. Now for the big part, I went to Ft. Jackson and most people there had no idea how to get you a RASP contract, Airborne maybe however your PT score better be above 300. Now I would continue to call your recruiter two to three times a week as I did to get your Opt 40 added to your contract before you ship. Make sure you are staggering your calls some first thing in the morning and some late afternoon. This way you are set. You can try at AIT, they at least seemed to have a clue again at least get Airborne added if possible. Here too you need a 300+ on PT to get that. So this should tell you something, get to a 300+ on your PT and keep bugging your recruiter. I am very lucky my recruiter kept fighting for a contract for me. I had a great recruiter. Hopefully you are as lucky and they will do the same for you.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

Thank you for the welcome, Ranger Jim.

In regards to more about myself and my motivations, I have considered serving for several years, but was raised and expected to assist in the growing the family business as my parents' oldest son. Theirs is a very traditionalist household. In the past three years, I have striven to give my best in all my endeavors, and in the process of maturing have realized the difference between what I owe my family, what I owe my nation, and what I owe myself as my own man. I do not want to one day have grandchildren on my knee and still be wondering if I had what it takes.

The 75th has appealed to me since the day that I met a former Ranger while in highschool. His bearing and courtesy, and his stories, left a lasting impression on myself and my classmates.
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

Thank you for your excellent advice, Ranger Grim666. I was not aware that a contract could be changed after signing, and intend to follow up with my recruiter. I will change my name ASAP, I should have realized the error of including an MOS I have not earned.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

68wHopeful wrote:Thank you for your excellent advice, Ranger Grim666. I was not aware that a contract could be changed after signing, and intend to follow up with my recruiter. I will change my name ASAP, I should have realized the error of including an MOS I have not earned.
Contact steadfast. He will give you a new name. In the meantime tell us more about you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

Roger Ranger Jim, I have PMed Ranger Steadfast and requested that he change my handle.

As for more of my background, I am 21 years old with some college under my belt. In regards to employment, I have spent most of my time helping to grow the family business as my parents' oldest son. They did not completely understand my decision to enlist, so I decided to give them some space and take up in Los Angeles with my sister, where I now work on television commercial sets. This industry pays well, but attracts some unsavory and undisciplined characters and I don't think I'll miss it.
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Hopeful, don't let your recruiter or anyone tell you they can't update your reservation. If the option 40 is there updating a reservation takes less than a minute. It doesn't require a reno or anything special. I do it all the time in fact we updated 4-5 people just last week on their ship day to get an option 40. 68W is tougher to get but not impossible. You can also ask your recruiter to email MSG Kowan (the NCOIC) at the ROC and ask him to update your reservation. MSG Kowan is usually very helpful.

Did you get Airborne qualified when you took your physical?

Good Luck,
Perryb
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

PerryB,

I cannot tell you how much your advice is appreciated. I know it comes from a great deal of experience and I do not take it for granted. I was not given an airborne physical at MEPS (my recruiter did not inform me that such a thing existed). I have left a message for my recruiter and am requesting to return to MEPS for an airborne physical, after which I hope to have my contract upgraded.

I will keep you and the Rangers on this board apprised of my progress.

Thank you again.
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome Hank.

PM inbound.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

Rangers and PerryB,

Apologies for the delay in this update, I was called out of town for work and did not have an opportunity to speak to my recruiter until yesterday. When I asked to return to MEPS for a physical, my recruiter told me that he had never heard of "updating" a contract. I insisted that I had made contact with a MEPS career counselor who was familiar with the process, and he gave me my career counselor's phone number and told me to have PerryB call him.

I took the liberty of calling my career counselor myself, and he confirmed everything that PerryB had said. Now that I have support from the LA MEPS, I will be speaking to my recruiter about returning for an airborne physical. I will continue to post updates on my progress.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Young man, it sounds like you are trying to take charge of your future. Leave no stone unturned and leave nothing to chance. That's what losers do. Never quit until you get the contract you want, then never quit until you achieve your goal. Go get it done!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Glad to see that your meps has a clue. Keep seeking what you want and let me know if you run into any snags.

Perryb
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hank, any developments?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Hank1993
Embryo

Post by Hank1993 »

Rangers and PerryB,

I just got home from my airborne physical at MEPS. I passed my physical with flying colors, but there were no option 4s or 40s available for 68W. My career counselor has told me that my only shot at this point will be to request a RENO from my recruiter.

I would like to respectfully ask PerryB if I will lose my MOS if given the opportunity to RENO. As my recruiter explained the process, when my RENO is accepted and I return to MEPS, if there are no 68W option 4 or 40s, I may also lose the 68W slot that I already have. Is he telling me the truth?

I was hoping to have better news to bring to the board today, but I put myself in this situation by signing too early and it's up to me to dig myself out of it. I sincerely appreciate the advice of everyone who has commented in this thread. I know that you are all the best at what you do. I apologize for my infrequent updates and any typos in this post. I got to MEPS at 0515 right after coming off a night shift and wanted to be sure and post an update ASAP.

-Hank

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”