Introduction- Josh

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Introduction- Josh

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Futbol wrote:
MadBSTRD wrote:Ranger Cayo is spot on, you could jump from pvt to Ranger Spec4 but you would be missing a hell of a lot of information.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Roger that Ranger MadBSTRD. I will be entering as an E4, does that make a difference at all?
I'll answer this one..

Only for pay does it matter. You are the FNG, and will be treated, and expected to act accordingly. Do not be surprised if there are guys there same rank as you or lower that have deployment under their belt. The probably wont be lower rank than you for very long, but think about it: you show up and there is a PFC that has been in Batt. for six months. That is six months of real world experience (and closer to a year in regular unit..) and he already knows how things are supposed to be done. If he tells ya to do something, ya' do it. (or face the wrath..)

The best thing about being the FNG (whether a PFC, or SPC) is for about 3 to 6 months you can get away with a lot of shit and use the "I didn't know" defense. You'll probably still do push-ups, but they become exponentially greater the longer you have been there.

Incidentally, an old friend just made the list for MSG/E-8 and I remember when we were kickin' around as the FNG/SPC's. The rest of the men are right. The time flies, so enjoy it for what its worth.

Doc out
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

What the Sleepy Doc says is spot on. How is your task list coming? You have around 30 - 45 days left. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Also, for what it's worth, the fastest I'd ever seen or heard of anyone going to Ranger school was three months in Battalion. A friend who I went through Airborne and RIP with went straight through so he had his tab as a PFC (now that RASP is 8 weeks, I don't think that its possible any more..) He was in great shape, and was the only one at the time who could pass the pre-ranger PT test. We had a crusty-ass, tough as nails, Greneda era 2nd Batt guy as a platoon sergeant. He basically said "Fuck it! He is the only one ready to go? Fucking send him." He partially wanted to "teach a lesson" to the guys who had been there a while and were dragging ass about going.

Either way, Cayo speaks the truth. A year to year and 1/2 before school would be more reasonable expectation. With your college, and level of maturity, no reason why you can't be a Tabbed E-5 before you know it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

Sleepy Doc wrote:
Futbol wrote:
MadBSTRD wrote:Ranger Cayo is spot on, you could jump from pvt to Ranger Spec4 but you would be missing a hell of a lot of information.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Roger that Ranger MadBSTRD. I will be entering as an E4, does that make a difference at all?
I'll answer this one..

Only for pay does it matter. You are the FNG, and will be treated, and expected to act accordingly. Do not be surprised if there are guys there same rank as you or lower that have deployment under their belt. The probably wont be lower rank than you for very long, but think about it: you show up and there is a PFC that has been in Batt. for six months. That is six months of real world experience (and closer to a year in regular unit..) and he already knows how things are supposed to be done. If he tells ya to do something, ya' do it. (or face the wrath..)

The best thing about being the FNG (whether a PFC, or SPC) is for about 3 to 6 months you can get away with a lot of shit and use the "I didn't know" defense. You'll probably still do push-ups, but they become exponentially greater the longer you have been there.

Incidentally, an old friend just made the list for MSG/E-8 and I remember when we were kickin' around as the FNG/SPC's. The rest of the men are right. The time flies, so enjoy it for what its worth.

Doc out
Roger Ranger Sleepy Doc,

That all makes perfect sense. I am looking forward to the whole process and earning my spot.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140325

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

Jim wrote:What the Sleepy Doc says is spot on. How is your task list coming? You have around 30 - 45 days left. Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim, my task list is now posted.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140325

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”