Introduction- Josh

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction- Josh

Post by Futbol »

Hello Rangers,

First off, sorry for the username selection. I realize I need to get it changed. I first joined this site to get basic info on Rangers and after recently enlisting with an 11x Option 40 contract I began looking in detail at this website and quickly found that I had made an error in my selection. My brother is a Captain in the Army and he highly recommended that I take the Option 40 if I could get it. Originally I had planned to go OCS but quickly realized that the training and experience I could receive in the 75th Ranger Regiment would be unmatched.

I just turned 28, have a wife, and 3 year old daughter. My whole life I have played soccer. I was signed to Virginia Military Institute on a full athletic scholarship out of high school. I attended school there for two years. I had stand out Freshman and Sophomore seasons and was told I would be a top pro prospect and should consider a more athletic oriented school to finish out my college career. I transferred to Union University in TN where I graduated. I got offered a college coaching job straight out of college which I accepted. After coaching several years I felt like I was wasting my gift as an athlete, so I quite my job trained for 4 months went to a pro combine for Major Indoor Soccer League and got offered a contract. While I fully enjoyed playing I felt unfulfilled. I have always felt a strong duty to my country and I quickly realized my duty was not to simply entertain.

I have no question that I was made to be in the military. I have always had a desire to be a part of something elite and pushing my self physically and mentally has always been my gift. I hope to use my skills gained as a captain and coach in the athletic arena to transition into military training.

My physical attributes are strength and speed while my weakness is endurance. I can run a 4.28 sec 40 yard dash which is faster then most pro football players in the NFL but struggle maintaining sub 7min miles for extended distances. While this is an obvious issue I need to work on, it simply has not been an area I have ever trained for, as my role as a goal scorer relied on bursts of speed to be successful. I will immediately begin training for distance running so that I can be prepared for what is to come.

I took a PT test yesterday scoring 98 pushups, 98 situps, 13:42 2 miles, and 18 pullups. I know my run sucks. I will be able to get it down closer to 12min in about 4 weeks. I leave for OSUT March 25.

I am looking forward to being a member of this site and learning more about Rangers.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140325

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction- Josh

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome.

I'll try to just drop the Ranger at the end of your name - see if that works.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, Futbol.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Futbol.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Josh, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores are impressive. An excellent start point. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

I heard that some RASP graduates get a chance to go straight to Ranger School before heading to the 75th Regiment. If this is true, is there a certain percentage of graduates that get the chance, or is it just a case by case scenario?

Thanks,
Josh
11X OPT 40

Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

Rangers,

Just a quick update on my PT. My recruiter called me and informed me that I had to take an official PT test before I shipped since I was an option 40. Although it was only 6 degrees outside (very odd for TN) I was happy to get the opportunity to have my pushup form tested and a chance to see some improvement on my last recorded run. I scored 85 pushups, 89 situps, and 12:33 on my two miles. I was happy with the run as I have knocked over a minute off my time in 2 weeks. My goal was to get below 12 min before I ship, so with 8 weeks to go I am feeling good!

I have been reading up on all the threads and am so thankful for all the info that is available to us!
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Noted you got an Option 40, please add pull-ups to your work-out. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

Roger Ranger Jim
11X OPT 40

Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Boy it has been a hot minute since I have been on this site.

With regards to your question on going straight to RS after RASP, no. You will not have that option.

Even if you did, you will not want that option. Once you have your tab, you are expected to be a leader within the regiment. You wouldn't be able to contribute a damn thing to MLAT or a live fire or other actions in preparing for deployment because you don't have a lick of experience. If you are worried about being older and having to play private, just remember that everyone else had to do their private time too. I went to RASP with a 38 year old. He did his private time like everyone else, but, with the added maturity and life experience he brought to the table, after deployment he quickly went to school, quickly picked up a gun, team, his 5, etc, and is now about to pick up his 6. Do your time as a private, it will probably be the most fun you have in regiment.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

Roger Ranger Cayo
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Futbol wrote:Roger Ranger Cayo
Josh, a little background. Ranger Cayo enlisted and earned a shot at RASP during OSUT. His unit sent him to Ranger School and he deployed with his unit. He recently left the service and is enrolled in Columbia University. A prime example of what can be accomplished. Never, never quit!.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Futbol
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Futbol »

MadBSTRD wrote:Ranger Cayo is spot on, you could jump from pvt to Ranger Spec4 but you would be missing a hell of a lot of information.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Roger that Ranger MadBSTRD. I will be entering as an E4, does that make a difference at all?
11X OPT 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”