HELP APPRECIATED!

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Littletrainwreck
Egg

HELP APPRECIATED!

Post by Littletrainwreck »

So I've narrowed my two choices down for when I go to MEPS. I will tell them I will not sign without either 89d (EOD) or 11x with an Opt 40 Contract. Whatever one they give me first I will take. EOD offers great pay and good work outside the military. Plus they offer all the Spec Ops schools (Airborne, Rangers, Special Forces, etc). My ultimate goal would be to become a SF Soldier, but I wouldn't have enough experience not having ever been in. Plus I'm only 17 right now. So I suppose that going EOD or 75th RR wouldn't really matter if I am gonna be SF in the next few years. But my question is, what do you think would be easier for me to get when I go to MEPS this Friday?(I know I'll probably have to wait). I would rather go Rangers right off, but if EOD came prior, I would definitely jump on it.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: HELP APPRECIATED!

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome here

That was the good news.
Bad news is that you can not keep that name.
So send me a PM (private message) with a list of 4 names (in preferential order) & I will see what is available. This is not debatable.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
FSHerbert
Ranger

Post by FSHerbert »

Welcome.

I don't post here often, but there's something about your post that really irritated me. I think it's the way you're making a whole lot of assumptions and things inadvertently implied in your post.

1. There's nothing "spec ops" about any of those schools. There are plenty of shitbag paratroopers walking around with jump wings. Same thing for Ranger School having a Tab earns mountains of respect, but does not qualify someone as "spec ops." Finally Special forces isn't a school, it's a pipeline to a career that has many schools involved.

2. If you're willing to take whatever they give you, perhaps you should sit down and think a little harder before you take an Opt. 40 or an 18X slot from someone who knows they really want it and will work their ass off for it.

3. Finally, if you come to a site full of professionals like this and you think a user name of HateTrain was acceptable you have no place in the special operations community regardless of your choice.

There's your help. Think about it.

I apologize to the senior members of this site for stepping out of my lane and being inappropriate.
RASP Class 1 - 13
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

FSHerbert wrote:Welcome.

I don't post here often, but there's something about your post that really irritated me. I think it's the way you're making a whole lot of assumptions and things inadvertently implied in your post.

1. There's nothing "spec ops" about any of those schools. There are plenty of shitbag paratroopers walking around with jump wings. Same thing for Ranger School having a Tab earns mountains of respect, but does not qualify someone as "spec ops." Finally Special forces isn't a school, it's a pipeline to a career that has many schools involved.

2. If you're willing to take whatever they give you, perhaps you should sit down and think a little harder before you take an Opt. 40 or an 18X slot from someone who knows they really want it and will work their ass off for it.

3. Finally, if you come to a site full of professionals like this and you think a user name of HateTrain was acceptable you have no place in the special operations community regardless of your choice.

There's your help. Think about it.

I apologize to the senior members of this site for stepping out of my lane and being inappropriate.
No need to apologize. You just said it before I had a chance to. BTW, the real HateTrain is alive and you do not want him to ever find you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Your choices are not similar other than they are in the military. Being in the 75th Ranger Regiment is A WAY OF LIFE. I can't speak to your other choices, I wasn't SF or EOD. But you should pause before going to MEPS when you don't have a clear plan in mind. President, firefighter, or a fast food grill man, because all 3 are in the hot seat? That is how bad you sound. Choose for you, but your choices are spread out. Who are your recruiters? Sounds like they're happy to get a quota filled with choices like that. And I hope you are not enlisting to be like Hurt Locker and a little Black Hawk Down combined. You only get once chance, and MEPS IS IT.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Littletrainwreck
Egg

First off, I'd like to apologize for my name choice, as I didn't mean to cause so much uproar. You are all right though, I've made my decision. Ranger all the way! Don't think that because I had another idea in mind that I wouldn't give RASP my all. I'm a very determined individual, and will do what's necessary to get a task done. Does anyone know if there are any Opt 40s available at the moment for 11x? I go up to MEPS but won't sign without an Opt 40. Trust me, I won't waste this opportunity, because I know there are plenty of others who would take it in a heartbeat. I will become a Ranger.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Young man, we are not Facebook, when you are told to choose four names. You get four names. Unless you earned it Ranger is not a choice. Obviously you have not done your homework. Read all the FAQs, and the stickies, as well as selected threads. Most questions you may have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. I reserve my decision. Please self-administer a PT test and post it on this thread within 72 hours. BTW, HateTrain spent more than a decade in the 75th Ranger Regiment, and was a First Sergeant in the Old Guard in Washington, DC (Fort Meyer) where he was a guard on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. What have you done?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

The ROC is willing to help out high school graduates. If you qualify at the meps ask your counselor to call the ROC for 11X Option 40. Infantry may not be open but other MOSs maybe open with option 40.

Perryb
Littletrainwreck
Egg

I came to this site for some advice from some real Rangers. It seems as though I've only found some guys behind computers trying to be all hooah hooah. Anyways, I can become a Ranger like you. Anyone can. It just matters how much you want it. And trust me, I want it. I respect that you guys are Rangers, but you don't gotta live your whole live milking that one great accomplishment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

HateTrain wrote:I came to this site for some advice from some real Rangers. It seems as though I've only found some guys behind computers trying to be all hooah hooah. Anyways, I can become a Ranger like you. Anyone can. It just matters how much you want it. And trust me, I want it. I respect that you guys are Rangers, but you don't gotta live your whole live milking that one great accomplishment.
Well, you did not follow my instruction and you did not follow Ranger Steadfast's instructions All the Rangers on this site are verified as being scrolled or tabbed Rangers. And you are? Good by!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Littletrainwreck
Egg

Here you are Ranger Jim. I will do as I'm told next time.

Self evaluated PT:
75 push-ups
89 sit-ups
13:47 2 mi

You are right Ranger xray. And to all the other Rangers, I apologize for my outburst. I was only looking for a simple answer to my question, and seemed to walk into a wolf den. I am not trying to disrespect anyone, and I strive to be given even the opportunity to become what you great warriors are. Ranger Steadfast, I will send you a PM now with my 4 names.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Tread carefully HateTrain. There are men on this site that will have a DIRECT influence on whether you don a tan beret or not. Think about it.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

HateTrain wrote:I came to this site for some advice from some real Rangers. It seems as though I've only found some guys behind computers trying to be all hooah hooah. Anyways, I can become a Ranger like you. Anyone can. It just matters how much you want it. And trust me, I want it. I respect that you guys are Rangers, but you don't gotta live your whole live milking that one great accomplishment.
I can assure you that everyone on this site is a Real Ranger. Most have done things, and continue to do things that you read about in books and they make movies about. Your snarky comments are pathetic, at best. Just because you get an Opt 40, does not guarantee you will get an assignment to the Ranger Regiment. There is a reason they have instituted a peer-review system similar to that of Ranger School. The same goes for Special Forces selection. You may get through the selection process, and if you display such crass manners they will say "no, thanks". I have seen it happen many times before.

I was initially going to offer you some insight because I have two close personal friends who did a four year tour in Ranger Battalion, then re-classed to EOD. One of them is a Major and on his 4th deployment. I don't even take it personally that you feel I am milking one great accomplishment in my life. I do, however, take exception to you comments, considering there are men here that did more before your parents were out of high school than most do in a lifetime. At this point in your short existence, you aren't worthy of even questioning the mettle of men such a s Jim, Steadfast, and others. Indeed, there was at least one member here, who like you came to us as a young man of high school age, became a mentee and FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS HE WAS GIVEN. This young man went on to successfully earn a place in the Ranger Regiment, and served with distinction. That is, until he paid the ultimate price and lay down his life for his brothers in service to this great nation. As Jim said, who are YOU??.. and what have you done??!!..

It is not a patch on a persons shirt, nor rank or awards that make a man. indeed, it is a persons character, what is inside him that gives him worth. I have been told that a good measure of ones success is if his peers find him indispensable. I have been asked by men I served with to come to Iraq and be a medic for them long after I ETS'd, that I was the first person they thought of. Have you ever been so honored by your peers?

In the Ranger community, we have adopted a saying you may have heard;

"I'm not who I am because I'm a Ranger, I'm a Ranger because of who I am.."

98% of your questions have already been answered here, and can be found by searching the site. had you been a little more respectful, I'm sure you would have been given all the help you need. However, given your initial attitude, I would be surprised if anyone gives you the time of day, at this point. I, for one, would need to see you make significant amends.

You really did step in it. I just hope you didn't squander an opportunity for greatness.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Topic moved to civilian intro forum.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4