Introduction-Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

matt2996
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction-Matthew

Post by matt2996 »

Rangers,
My name is Matt and i am a senior in high school. I have recently enlisted as a 68W with the Option40. I leave for basic on July 1, 2014 and was hoping to get some help along the way. I am considerably fit but am still wanting more, what's the best way to be prepared physically as well as mentally? The retired Rangers i have talked with have told me to focus on the PT basics (push ups, sit ups, running, etc.)
Also i would like to know what to expect when i get to RASP, i have been looking around on the internet since this past summer to find out about the process, and all the accounts have been different, and the retired Rangers i mentioned were all RIP graduates but speak highly of the new RASP program.

Thank you for your time,

Matt
Focused
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction-Matthew

Post by Grim666 »

First congratulations on the Opt 40. Second you are among professionals here, I suggest you conduct yourself as such, that includes proper capitalization. Make sure you use it. Third I would suggest going to the letters from school thread and read bloody limey's cap of SOCM, that is what you will have in store if you make it through. I am currently finishing that up now, I have about 6-7 weeks left. You should listen to the retired Rangers you spoke to and focus on the basics, in addition there are great work outs under the physical fitness thread. All you have to do is look. I am sure there will be others to both welcome you and square you away. With the opt 40 you will have the privilege of another forum once you are added. Use it so that you can even better prepare yourself. Read a lot, post a little. Only ask a question if you have used the search button and made sure you use every combination you can think of. Then ask a question. There is a ton of knowledge already out there on this site you just need to find it.

RLTW!
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Matt, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. As Grim666 stated, most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
matt2996
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by matt2996 »

Thank you Ranger Jim and Grim666, excuse me for the improper Grammer, I'll put a fix on it from here on out. I will also be sure to search wide and tall on this forum and others before asking any more questions. PT Test scores:
Push-Ups- 72
Sit-Ups- 71
2Mile- 14:02
(27F outside and icy, slowed my run by about 30sec.)
I am 5'6" and 154lbs. Also 17 years of age.
Thank you again.
Focused
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, matt2996.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

matt2996 wrote: PT Test scores:
Push-Ups- 72
Sit-Ups- 71
2Mile- 14:02
OK, Matt, you have established a firm PT baseline to build on. Please add pull-ups to your routine. Minimum should be ten with good form. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
matt2996
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by matt2996 »

Roger Ranger Jim!
Focused
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Matt.

RLTW!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

matt2996

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome & congrats on securing an Opt 40 contract matt2996.

PM inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
matt2996
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by matt2996 »

SitRep:
High ankle sprain while running on ice Dec. 16. Did a 2Min PU 2Min SU 1Mile PFT today, 6:50mile and 80,80 on Sit-ups and Push-ups. Also added Pull-Ups to the test like I was politely asked to do by Ranger Jim, I only got to 22 before my arms gave way.
I also gained 8 lbs. putting my at 162 lbs., not sure what of, but it's there and I can not get rid of it.
Embracing the suck.
Just ready to get back to 100% and add 100% more to it.
I have also been reassigned to the Mentoring Zone by Ranger Steadfast.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

matt2996 wrote:SitRep:
High ankle sprain while running on ice Dec. 16. Did a 2Min PU 2Min SU 1Mile PFT today, 6:50mile and 80,80 on Sit-ups and Push-ups. Also added Pull-Ups to the test like I was politely asked to do by Ranger Jim, I only got to 22 before my arms gave way.
I also gained 8 lbs. putting my at 162 lbs., not sure what of, but it's there and I can not get rid of it.
Embracing the suck.
Running on ice, you say? Not the smartest play in the book. Fortunately for you, ankle sprains are relatively simple to deal with and pose no long term issues. That is, provided you rehab it properly. You don't really need any specialized equipment-save maybe one of those stretchy exercise bands- but it is not a necessity.. and it can be done at home. Take this from someone who sprained his ankle almost once a year from doing helo ops. (my take-home prize is now my ankle sounds like grinding gravel, and the inevitable fused joint someday..)

I hope that you are using proper form with the pull ups and not "kipping". Get used to that now, because that is what will be expected of you. I'm willing to bet the 8 lbs. you say you have gained is muscle mass, if you've been working out as diligently as you say. This is OK. it is a good thing. You body will adjust to it so it won't affect your run time too much. Muscle mass = stronger = ruck easier to carry = not looking like such a pussy to the grunts. After all, you pussed out and took the easy way, right? Medics are weak-assed non-hackers, right?By not going infantry, when you finish RASP your buddies will go to Batt and start doin' it. Meanwhile, you go to Bragg for 7 months to learn how to give out motrin and scam on 82nd booty, am I right? That is how the infantry guys will see it, at least, the new ones with no experience. The older, experienced men will give you a modicum of respect..because they have seen what the modern Ranger medic is capable of. Earn that respect. It will keep growing and pay dividends.

And start by not running on ice..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

matt2996 wrote:SitRep:
Embracing the suck.
matt2996, you were assigned to the Mentoring Zone on 8DEC'13 & you did not follow my instructions to you to make an immediate post there. You are 36 days late & still have not announced you were there. Do not answer me here, respond to the Mentoring Zone as instructed.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”