New hopeful Ranger

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Re: New hopeful Ranger

Post by PabloJeezy »

Well before I quickly address the new responses these are my PT scores I had promised to post.
Pushups: 95
Situps: 82
2mi Run: 14:20
Total score of 281
Working on and will take any advice on how to cut down my run time. Right now as part of my normal workout regiment I run 5-7 miles every workout session (which is 2 days one, 1 day off) with exception of days I do MACP. Yes, I'm currently taking MACP intermittently with a certified instructor and aspiring to get Level 1 and 2 qualified before I ship. A matter of the Army accepting the qualifications is another story.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

What is MACP?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Jim wrote:What is MACP?
It stands for Modern Army Combatives, Ranger Jim. It's the Army's hand to hand combat program they have.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PabloJeezy wrote:
Jim wrote:What is MACP?
It stands for Modern Army Combatives, Ranger Jim. It's the Army's hand to hand combat program..
That is what the sentence should have said.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

PabloJeezy wrote:Well before I quickly address the new responses these are my PT scores I had promised to post.
Pushups: 95
Situps: 82
2mi Run: 14:20
Total score of 281
Working on and will take any advice on how to cut down my run time. Right now as part of my normal workout regiment I run 5-7 miles every workout session (which is 2 days one, 1 day off) with exception of days I do MACP. Yes, I'm currently taking MACP intermittently with a certified instructor and aspiring to get Level 1 and 2 qualified before I ship. A matter of the Army accepting the qualifications is another story.
PT looks really good for a baseline, less distance to travel to hit 300 than a lot if guys starting out. Which will allow you to focus on functional strength.

I want to know who your "Certified Instructor" in MACP is and how they can certify a CIVILIAN in an Army program. What are their qualifications (what level)? What is this persons relationship to you?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

rangertough wrote:
I want to know who your "Certified Instructor" in MACP is and how they can certify a CIVILIAN in an Army program. What are their qualifications (what level)? What is this persons relationship to you?

Tough
I'm glad someone with authority asked those questions, cause inquiring minds were wanting to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

IEDmagnet wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Tough
I'm glad someone with authority asked those questions, cause inquiring minds were wanting to know.

You got just as much authority as I do brother :? . Did I just get to the OBJ first, or what?

Tough
Rangertough
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

rangertough wrote:
IEDmagnet wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Tough

You got just as much authority as I do brother :? . Did I just get to the OBJ first, or what?

Tough
Probably so. Either way I am interested in this response.

A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Sorry for the late reply Veteran IED Magnet and Ranger Tough, been busy with school work. But my instructor is an active duty soldier that works on the base that I live nearby that my dad introduced me too and gladly allowed me to participate in classes. Don't want to release to many public details about the instructor without his permission but he is the instructor assigned to his command and teaches inside the base's gym and believe he is qualified up to level four. He would qualify me like any other soldier would; go to the amount of sessions required and demonstrate the movements (scissor sweeps, armbars, etc) and I get a certificate with my name on it. As far as getting the Army to except it is another issue given I was a civilian. But even if it's not accepted, then it's a skill set I have anyway and could accomplish again with experience when I actually get in.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

PabloJeezy wrote:Sorry for the late reply Veteran IED Magnet and Ranger Tough, been busy with school work. But my instructor is an active duty soldier that works on the base that I live nearby that my dad introduced me too and gladly allowed me to participate in classes. Don't want to release to many public details about the instructor without his permission but he is the instructor assigned to his command and teaches inside the base's gym and believe he is qualified up to level four. He would qualify me like any other soldier would; go to the amount of sessions required and demonstrate the movements (scissor sweeps, armbars, etc) and I get a certificate with my name on it. As far as getting the Army to except it is another issue given I was a civilian. But even if it's not accepted, then it's a skill set I have anyway and could accomplish again with experience when I actually get in.
That NCO is exposing himself and the Army to a world of hurt. If you are injured in one of his classes on post his career is gonna take a HEAT round.

If one of his Soldiers is injured during class it is considered Line of Duty and they will get treatment for injuries. I would bet that there was no "liability waiver" signed by your parents (which is standard paperwork at any "Martial Arts" studio) relieving your dads buddy of responsibility if you get hurt.

If the above is indeed the case that's one good reason to stop. Another good reason is potential for injury prior to shipping to BCT. If you get injured before BCT the Army will forget you existed and hire someone else.

I'm not advocating sitting on your ass wrapped in bubble wrap. It is understood that you need to get into the best shape possible. However, you need to prioritize your fitness goals based upon what your first tests are going to be (APFT and Road March). The likely hood that you'll need MACP over awesome functional strength is slim.

I have been involved in MACP since it began, introduced it to the USAR and created/led the first certification course for same. I have trained hundreds of Soldiers and every class has had an injury that at a minnimum dropped a student from the course. Many of those injuries were due to some dumbass getting toO aggressive on a drill instead of slowing down to "learning pace". The Soldiers you are rolling with are the same type of Soldiers I trained. The environment at most MACP sessions isn't nearly as controlled as say your average Ju-juitsu or MMA gym (which is what I recomend if you still want to develop hand to hand skills related to MACP).

Time to exercise some maturity dude. Analyze your mission goals, conduct a Risk Assessment and only take risks that are required to accomplish that mission. Leave your ego out of the equation and you'll make the right decisions.

Tough
Rangertough
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Indeed, that 14:20 run time ain't gonna get better by doing two minute floor drills. You might be able to bring that down in basic, then again, you might not. Far better to work on it now and walk in the door with mid 13's, or better. The only thing that will do that is road time done smartly.

When I got to Battalion, one of the fastest men there was (then) LTC Francis Kearney. No small dude, to be sure (I'm guessin' 6'2" and 190?..) and he was running a sub 12:00 2 mile, the best time that day.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

rangertough wrote:
PabloJeezy wrote:Sorry for the late reply Veteran IED Magnet and Ranger Tough, been busy with school work. But my instructor is an active duty soldier that works on the base that I live nearby that my dad introduced me too and gladly allowed me to participate in classes. Don't want to release to many public details about the instructor without his permission but he is the instructor assigned to his command and teaches inside the base's gym and believe he is qualified up to level four. He would qualify me like any other soldier would; go to the amount of sessions required and demonstrate the movements (scissor sweeps, armbars, etc) and I get a certificate with my name on it. As far as getting the Army to except it is another issue given I was a civilian. But even if it's not accepted, then it's a skill set I have anyway and could accomplish again with experience when I actually get in.
That NCO is exposing himself and the Army to a world of hurt. If you are injured in one of his classes on post his career is gonna take a HEAT round.

If one of his Soldiers is injured during class it is considered Line of Duty and they will get treatment for injuries. I would bet that there was no "liability waiver" signed by your parents (which is standard paperwork at any "Martial Arts" studio) relieving your dads buddy of responsibility if you get hurt.

If the above is indeed the case that's one good reason to stop. Another good reason is potential for injury prior to shipping to BCT. If you get injured before BCT the Army will forget you existed and hire someone else.

I'm not advocating sitting on your ass wrapped in bubble wrap. It is understood that you need to get into the best shape possible. However, you need to prioritize your fitness goals based upon what your first tests are going to be (APFT and Road March). The likely hood that you'll need MACP over awesome functional strength is slim.

I have been involved in MACP since it began, introduced it to the USAR and created/led the first certification course for same. I have trained hundreds of Soldiers and every class has had an injury that at a minnimum dropped a student from the course. Many of those injuries were due to some dumbass getting toO aggressive on a drill instead of slowing down to "learning pace". The Soldiers you are rolling with are the same type of Soldiers I trained. The environment at most MACP sessions isn't nearly as controlled as say your average Ju-juitsu or MMA gym (which is what I recomend if you still want to develop hand to hand skills related to MACP).

Time to exercise some maturity dude. Analyze your mission goals, conduct a Risk Assessment and only take risks that are required to accomplish that mission. Leave your ego out of the equation and you'll make the right decisions.

Tough
All of this. I am a ground fighting instructor at my Police Department right now. Everything we do is essentially MACP, minus the kill part. I am recovering from a non-displaced fracture of my distal clavicle from training in September. I'm still on light duty and I'm the trainer.

Much like his description above, my employers Workers Comp is covering my treatment....but I'd be SOL without it. Then think about missing your ship date and losing your reservation because you wanted a jump on training you don't need yet.

Just from my Big Army time, I'd suggest more focus on PT and General Knowledge. You're trying to do Algebra before you learn to add and subtract.

A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Advice well heard Rangers and Vets. Although just for the sake of defense, the environment is highly monitored and easily done so since the most amount of people in a class I've seen was 8 people at a time; but advice still well heard. And I'm definitely doing more workouts beyond combatives and for reference about my physical fitness, I am 5'6 and about 173lbs with around 12-14% BMI. I have a veteran coworker who gave me a sprinting workout to do twice a week at most to decrease my 2 mile time and told me to cut down my distance on my normal runs. I also do weight lifting and just readjusted my lifting workouts to be more efficient for time and effectiveness. I dab into crossfit workouts but it's limited since the crossfit areas on the base gym is almost constantly packed. I currently have a 55lb ruck (old-school ALICE style) not including water that I do a 9-mile march in about twice a month. I've done high school JROTC and college ROTC so things like land-nav, military customs and courtesies, marching, etc are almost second nature to me. As far as my MOS knowledge, been reading the letters that the 68W post and restudying my Anatomy and Physiology text book from one of my classes and plan to buy the textbook the EMT students at my college use for their training. Feel free to ask me any other questions. Honestly wish I could introduce myself and ask questions in-person. Feel like I can do a better job on why I want to join the Rangers and convey myself better than I could through the internet.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Are you talking to a recruiter?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Jim wrote:Are you talking to a recruiter?
Have been for about a month now, Ranger Jim. Got back from MEPS last week and have 68W for my contract, no Option 40 but hoping to either get it amended before my ship date or get recognition for consideration during Basic/AIT. Also talking to Ranger Battalion recruiters to get the ball rolling.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”