Ranger medic

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Gseyl
Embryo

Ranger medic

Post by Gseyl »

Hi guys I'm new here. I just enlisted with a 68c with no options. I really really want to be a ranger medic. I was just wondering what it would take to do so with my contract and if I automatically qualify as a combat medic after my 68c training since ill be a certified nurse?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Ranger medic

Post by Jim »

Gseyl wrote:Hi guys I'm new here. I just enlisted with a 68c with no options. I really really want to be a ranger medic. I was just wondering what it would take to do so with my contract and if I automatically qualify as a combat medic after my 68c training since ill be a certified nurse?
Please check this link. It lists the MOS requirements for the Ranger Regiment.
https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, Gseyl.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Gseyl.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Gseyl wrote:Hi guys I'm new here. I just enlisted with a 68c with no options. I really really want to be a ranger medic. I was just wondering what it would take to do so with my contract and if I automatically qualify as a combat medic after my 68c training since ill be a certified nurse?
Welcome here, plenty to learn. Please start using that capital "R" on the keyboard.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Too bad you didn't get here sooner. If being a Ranger Medic was what you really wanted you picked the wrong MOS. 68C is primarily a clinical position. You won't really have anything to do with working in the field, and definitely can't go to the Regiment. The job is about as different as the Ranger Medic is from a plain vanilla medic. (See: Bloody Limey's description of SOMC) I hate to tell you, but just about everything you will be learning is covered, and then some, in SOMC. Granted, the SOMC grads aren't "Licensed Practical Nurses". However, those that graduate the 18D/SOMC course are the best trained enlisted medical practitioners going. Period. End. No one is better. I'm sure you will hear a lot about how "they can't do what we can do..we have them beat.." while going through your MOS training, but I'm sorry to tell you it just simply isn't true.

There has always been a pissing match between the field medics, LPN's and medics in Special Operations about who's dick is bigger than who's. They all have very distinct job requirements, and having seen all three in action I can tell you with 100% certainty that the top of the food chain are those who go through the school house at Ft. Bragg.

No, my friend, you are destined to be assigned in accordance with the needs of the Army. If you are lucky, you may be assigned at an aid-station in one of the three camps at Ranger School. This way you can get your Ranger Tab out of the way first. No matter where you go, the clinical experience will be invaluable. It will ultimately help you if you decide that you really want to be a Ranger Medic and choose to run the gauntlet. Either way, you will have to wait till you are eligible for re-enlistment and switch to the 68W MOS.

Good luck with your job, and continue to use the site for info on how to prep for RASP/SOMC.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Gseyl
Embryo

Post by Gseyl »

Thank you for the detailed answer to my question Ranger Sleepy doc and to the rest of you for the welcome. I have decided to change my mos to something that'll allow me to get an option 40 and be sent to the regiment and get my chance.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Don't let me dissuade you from what you might want to do. There is a distinct need for the LPN in a health care setting, and they do their job admirably.The clinical experience is something that Ranger Medics don't get on a daily basis. However, as I said, it is mainly a clinical position and the most field time you might see is manning a Battalion Aid Station. I really comes down to what do you want to do. If you are able to change your MOS and you desire to be a medic in he Regiment, then go do that, and don't look back! I was in awe hearing about what these gentlemen are capable of nowadays. As a graduate of SOMC you will be well versed in clinical medicine, although you primary focus is always the Rangers... no civilians, no dependents, just taking care of the Rangers. Also, think of the "big fish/little pond" scenario. As I told someone else here; when I was in there were no more than 36 Ranger platoon medics in the army at any given time. Yes, there were more Ranger medics than that to be sure, but only 36 could say they were assigned to a rifle platoon at any given time.. and THAT , my friend, is one of the coolest and most prestigious jobs in the military. It's definitely worth doing.

Again, good luck...
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Gseyl
Embryo

Post by Gseyl »

Ranger sleepy doc I appreciate your advice and help. After thinking it over for a while I have decided to keep my mos. However, I have one last question. How difficult would be for me to change my mos after working as a nurse for a year. Would the army then allow me to change it to something I like more for the remaining four years?
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

68C requires at least a 5 year enlistment. You'll be in school for about 1 year. You will not be able to change your MOS until you are in your reenlistment window which I believe will open when you have about 1 year left on your enlistment. Ranger Sleepy Doc gave you some great advise. My only suggestion would be to ask your recruiter if you can reno your contract for 68W with an Option 40. Your recruiter might say that is impossible and you'll lose your 68C but that simply isn't true. 68W with an Option 40 is very limited but you can try without losing anything.

Good Luck,
Perryb
Gseyl
Embryo

Post by Gseyl »

Thank you Ranger Perryb. I know this isn't Ranger related but what about special forces? Do the same restrictions apply as far as me joining that? Or is it voluntary at anytime. Also I'm a big fan of Johnny Football. Had to say it! Hah

Admin edited R's in Ranger.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Gseyl, have you entered active duty yet?
Gseyl
Embryo

Post by Gseyl »

No sir Ranger Jim. I go to basic in January. I'm just really trying to plan everything out far in advance. I just want to be very meticulous because I'm taking my service very seriously. I just hope y'all can appreciate that and not judge me too harshly for any questions that may seem stupid to those already in active duty.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Gseyl wrote:Thank you Ranger Perryb. I know this isn't Ranger related but what about special forces? Do the same restrictions apply as far as me joining that? Or is it voluntary at anytime. Also I'm a big fan of Johnny Football. Had to say it! Hah
Perryb is not a Ranger. Each users rank is below their name.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Gseyl wrote:No sir Ranger Jim. I go to basic in January. I'm just really trying to plan everything out far in advance. I just want to be very meticulous because I'm taking my service very seriously. I just hope y'all can appreciate that and not judge me too harshly for any questions that may seem stupid to those already in active duty.
Have you read bloody limey's thread in letters from school?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”