Intro: Jimming

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Intro: Jimming

Post by Jimming »

Hello everyone! My name is Jamie, I am 16 years old, and I am currently preparing to enlist to become a Ranger.

Right now I am a member of the United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps so I can get some military-like experience. I have and (hopefully) will continue to volunteer at the Milwaukee VA hospital. I have been doing PT on a daily basis for a little over two years now. I have spent a few hours going through the forums already trying to learn as much as I can, and I really look forward to getting to talk with Rangers, veterans, and anyone else who can help me along my journey.
11X
SHIP DATE: 20150728
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro: Jimming

Post by Jim »

Welcome Jamie, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We are proud of the fine young Rangers who have passed through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Please read the FAQs as well as select stickies and threads. Most questions have been addressed at least once. The search feature, located at the top right of this page is your friend. Please self-administer a PT test and post your result here within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Thanks Ranger Jim.

I did my PT test right after school today. These aren't my best scores, but this is a good reminder for myself to maintain my workouts better. So here they are:

Pushups: 81
Situps: 60
Pullups: 20
2 Mile Run: 12:28
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote: Pushups: 81
Situps: 60
2 Mile Run: 12:28
OK, now you have a baseline to build on. Please tell us why you want to be a Ranger?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Okay Ranger Jim, here it goes:

I first decided I wanted to join the Army 10 years ago in the first grade (I'm a sophomore now). The first book I ever picked up in the school library was titled "The Green Berets". After that I was hooked. From first to fifth grade I read every single book on the military my library had to offer. I didn't care what the subject of the book was, I just read it. Once I got to middle school (6th-8th grade), I began to think about what I wanted to do in the military.

In 7th grade I knew that I wanted to be on the ground, working my ass off, and getting things done. I would not ever be able to manage a desk job. I also knew that the military was the only thing for me at this point because it offered everything I wanted and more. I wanted to give something back to the country that has given so much to me, I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, and I wanted to challenge myself physically and mentally on a daily basis. I also wanted to do something that few people do. After countless hours of reading and researching, I came upon the 75th Ranger Regiment. Everything about the unit was and still is everything that I aspire to do in the military.

Since deciding that I wanted to be a Ranger, I have been and continue to do everything I can to prepare myself. Becoming a Ranger has become my main concentration and my primary goal in life. There has not been one day since my decision that I have not though about it.

Again, I look forward to speaking with and learning from all of you here. Thanks :D
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have your questions been answered?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Ranger Jim, right now I have a ton of questions, and once those are answered I will probably have a ton more. But before I ask them I need to look at other posts and look around the internet. Hopefully I can find answers so I don't need to bug you guys. Thanks.
11X
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

PM inbound, Jimming.
A Co, 3/75.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Jamie, by mentioning the Milwaukee VA hospital I am led to believe you are close enough to my location to get my attention.

IF you enlist, and IF you obtain an Option 40, I may consider mentoring you. I have a place which has proven suitable for pre-enlistment training for young men who aspire to become Rangers.
FYI, my title of 'Advisor' does not mean I advise young men or advise Rangers. It means something completely different. At some point you may learn what it means.
I will be watching to see what you do.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Lefty. I actually live about an hour north of Chicago, almost exactly on the border of Illinois and Wisconsin.

Like I said in the intro I am only 16 at the moment. I turn 17 in November so it will be a while until I am able to make any serious progress besides PT. However, I have already been in contact with a recruiter and I am planning on meeting with her again soon. Hopefully if I start a good relationship with her now she will know that I am serious and will be more willing to work to get me an option 40. I will keep you updated.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Lefty has a long history of mentoring young men. This is a great opportunity for you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim, I won't waste the opportunity.
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Hey Rangers, just a quick update:

I went to see my recruiter the other day for the first time at her office. It was great. I told her that I want either a 68W option 40 or an 11X option 40 when I sign a contract, and she said that it won't be a problem. We then talked about when I would sign my contract (next may), different advancement opportunities, and other benefits of joining. Most of the stuff we talked about were things that I had already read about, but it was nice to know for sure that the stuff I had read was true.

My dad also came with me when we met with her. I think this meeting made it very clear to him that I was serious about joining the Army. I have told them that I want to join for years now, but I guess until this point they never took me seriously. The meeting was followed by my parents having another very long talk with me about how they don't want me to join. As usual, the long talk ended with their disappointment because I hadn't changed my mind.

All in all, the meeting was great and I learned a lot. I also started a good relationship with my recruiter and made what I want very clear so there aren't any problems in the future (I hope).

-Jimming
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming, good SITREP. Time is on your side at the moment. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Hi Rangers! First, let me say thank you to everyone on this site. All soldier/sailors/airmen/marines, thank you for your service, past, present, and future. It am extremely grateful for your sacrifice, and for the opportunity to learn from you along my journey. Have a great memorial day!

Here's my PT scores this month:

Pushups: 90 (2:00)
Situps: 90 (2:00)
2 Mile run will be posted ASAP

Lots of improvement since my last PT post on April 24th. Even though I haven't put my 2 mile up yet, I know I need to work harder on my cardio this month.

I also have some more news for the coming months of June/July:

First, I am leaving for USNSCC Recruit Training on the 20th of June. It is a 10 day course that is a scaled down version of Navy basic training. I'm looking forward to the experience. Lots of yelling and learning crammed into a short period of time. I am not entirely sure what the curriculum consists of, however I will be doing my best during that time to maintain my PT. From what I have been told by other cadets is that we only PT once during the whole course because of how much time we need in classrooms, so I will try to PT during any/all of my downtime if I can.

Immediately after I graduate from recruit training, I will be hopping on a flight down to Colorado for an outward bound course. It's 15 days long of learning to live and move in the mountains. I will be in the rockies. I spoke with my instructor over the phone, and she has told me that we will be moving 2-8 miles a day depending on how flat/steep the ground is. This is also going to be an awesome experience and a great test of my willpower. We will also be working in small teams of around 4 people, and we will rotate leaders of the team throughout the course. Again, this will be a good learning experience.

AND after I am done with this course, my family and I are going to be going to either a mountain range in Montana, or the grand canyon to hike around at. I'll be sure to bring my rucksack and some water jugs for weight when I travel down there. I'm not sure how long I will be in the mountains/grand canyon with my family, but it will probably be around a week.

All in all, I am going to be gone a lot over the next 2 months, so I'm not sure how frequently I will be able to post here with PT scores or any other updates. I've got a lot of work to do to prepare myself for all of this, and I will keep you guys posted if/when I can.

-Jamie
11X

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”