Introduction - Always_Strive

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Always_Strive

Post by rangerjd »

Always_Strive wrote:Yes Ranger Jim, I will definitely start living my life by the ranger creed.
Notice how Ranger Jim capitalizes 'Ranger Creed", you should have, too. Attention to detail is very important if you want to be a Ranger. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger JD,

I apologize for my lack of attention to detail. From now on, I will appropriately capitalize the Ranger Creed accordingly. This will not happen again going forward.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

9 November is today. What's going on?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

I took the entire day off to get stuff done today. I went to the recruiter today, that I have been in contact with, and have started all of the paperwork to send to MEPS for a med read. Unfortunately, I only had medical records from my LASIK doctor up to about June 2015, so I gave the recruiter that. I requested the most updated medical records from my doctor over a week ago, but they apparently sent it to the wrong address; a family member's address that I used to live at. Hopefully I can get those updated medical records from my doctor tomorrow or Wednesday to send to my recruiter to send to MEPS.
11X
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Rangers,

I was able to get my most updated medical records faxed to me and have forwarded them to my recruiter. My recruiter has sent them to MEPS for a med read and hopefully they will allow me to go to MEPS to take the physical again. If not, I pray to god USAREC CMO grants me a medical waiver.

There was another question I wanted to ask all of the Rangers and other members on this forum. I have search the web and have not found much about nystagmus and Army. Has anybody heard of anyone being granted a medical waiver for nystagmus?

Thank you Rangers and other members.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Quite frankly, I never heard of nystagmus. So I went to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nystagmus
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Rangers,

Just wanted to give a sitrep on my situation. Called and left a voicemail for my recruiter yesterday for an update. Recruiter called back saying they are still waiting on MEPS give me the go ahead to go down to LA MEPS and take the physical, and maybe the ASVAB too. I'll continue to call weekly and keep everyone updated. Hopefully God answers my prayers and the stars align and I am approved a medical waiver to my Nystagmus.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Always_Strive wrote:Rangers,

Just wanted to give a sitrep on my situation. Called and left a voicemail for my recruiter yesterday for an update. Recruiter called back saying they are still waiting on MEPS give me the go ahead to go down to LA MEPS and take the physical, and maybe the ASVAB too. I'll continue to call weekly and keep everyone updated. Hopefully God answers my prayers and the stars align and I am approved a medical waiver to my Nystagmus.
Excellent update. Continue to push hard and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

It has been a month since I have started all the paperwork and wanted to give an update to all of the Rangers and other members of this site. I checked in with my recruiter at the beginning of the week and there has still been no response from MEPS or USAREC yet regarding the medical waiver for my Nystagmus condition. I will continue to follow up with my recruiter on a monthly basis to see if there are any updates. My recruiter warned me that this was going to take some time and it wasn't a for sure situation. So all I can do right now is prepare myself physically and mentally, pray to God that things work in my favor, and stay resilient and patient. Hopefully something positive comes my way around my birthday next month.
11X
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Continue to strive toward you goal, never weaken, never slack. Stay on your Recruiter, this is your future. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

I am currently still awaiting a medical waiver for my Nystagmus condition. I contacted my recruiter less than a week ago, but want to keep my contact with him down to a monthly basis. He is helping me get my medical waiver, and I don't want to piss him off too much. He already seems to be a little irritated that I have been contacting him too often. I believe that my Nystagmus condition will not affect my ability to be a fully capable Infantryman in the 75th Ranger Regiment in any way.

In the mean time, I have been working on my physical fitness level, researching more about the waiver process, and learning more about the Army Rangers. I took a few weeks off from working out because of personal matters I had to take care of, but I am now back on track. I just also started reading The Ranger Book by Ross Hall. I barely started, but it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge in this book. I just finished reading Black Hawk Down at the beginning of this month and I am amazed by how inspiring it was. For others out there that want a good book about an Army Ranger's experience in Afghanistan, I also recommend Team Reaper by Nicholas Irving.

In regards to my medical waiver, it looks like it will need to go up the chain of command and get approved by the Surgeon General of USAREC (USAREC Reg 601-56). If God has granted me the chance to prove myself and do my part in the United States Army, I will need an Exception to Policy to enlist with MOS 11X. According to the most recent MOS Smart Book (DA Pam 611-21 as of 20080516), I need to be correctable to 20/20 in one eye to enlist as 11X. I am currently correctable to 20/30 to 20/40. I believe I will also need an Exception to Policy from the Office of the Chief of Infantry for Airborne and the 75th Ranger Regiment top Surgeon for RASP to enlist with Option 40.

If any of my research is incorrect regarding my laid out plan, please let me know. If only I knew more people currently in high places in the United States Army, it would greatly help my situation. Since I do not, I will have to wait patiently, which I have experienced and grown accustomed to at my previous unit. I will continue to live by your words Ranger Jim and never, never quit! There is always a way, you just need to find it and commit.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Any new developments, Dan? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for following up with me. I was in contact with my recruiter this morning and there has still been no updates yet in regards to my medical waiver. Will continue to prepare myself physically and mentally and never quit!
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Saw you on the site this morning. Anything new? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

I try to go on daily to see if there is anything new that would help me or be pertinent to my situation. I also look out for anything that I didn't know to learn more about the Ranger Community and history. There has also been no new updates in regards to my medical waiver/med read. I am getting a little bit worried, but have to stay disciplined and keep myself optimistic.
11X

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”