New guy here

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Slov
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: New guy here

Post by Slov »

Roger Ranger cams.

After the whole experience, I really have no choice, but to go to another recruiter as my current office tried to essentially make me sign a contract by doing stuff without my consent. That way I would crack under the pressure of 2 sergeants playing good cop, bad cop on an individual that just wants to decline enlistment. I was not having any of that though, especially when someone tries to mess with my future.

On the good side, after the 1st Sargent found out why I got angry, he essentially raised hell at anyone who fucked me over or who participated in the process. He is going to grill all those liaisons personally and hand them a new one. He apologized for their behavior, and offered to do some favors for me personally. I have his number and I can go straight to him right when I am ready to sign.

However, they are recruiters so I do have to be careful.

Thank you Rangers
11x Option 40
Ship date: 20160112

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread member
Slov
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Slov »

Rangers,

I forgot to post my updated pt score yesterday. I fucked up and it's inexcusable. I am doing an extra 50 push-ups tonight for it.

My current scores:

Run - 17:30 ( this time it was timed and no approximated. Still horrendous but better. I need to run harder)
Push-ups- 45( I finally broke through my plateau of 35)
Sit-ups- 87
Chin ups- 4

I have improved, but I still need lots of work. I will post another pt score in a month.

Thank you Rangers
11x Option 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please update us on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slov
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Slov »

Ranger Jim,

I have not signed. I still have the chance to. Simply, I put it off and there really is no excuse. Been dealing with a lot of issues I can't control such as parental divorce, and started feeling sorry for myself trying to find the "right path" to go on. If I left sooner, I probably wouldn't have to deal with issues that don't concern me, but I was dragged into. I cannot get into specifics, but some agencies were involved and its very sad. In reality there is no right path. Asvab expires in the middle of September. So it's really now or never for me.

Here are my updated PT scores.

Chin ups- 15 (multiple sets of 8 reps to 5 sets. I want 10 reps per set)
PU-60
SU 90+ deepending on form.
Ruck- 15:30 pace max of 8 miles so far. I want to do a 12 miler before I ship out. Weight is 35 lbs. I know it will probably be double that at RASP, but I'm focusing on time and distance.
Run- I'm able to run 4-5 miles, but I still suck. I need to run more simply. Pace is 8:30-9:00 per mile.

In addition to that I work at FedEx doing manual labor and it's basically strength training with boxes. I view it as odd object sandbag work (something that was advised in some current rangers advice to prepare for RASP.)That requires heavy lifting.

I'm thinking that my only enemy is really myself. In reality... It really is. I think I will do just fine no matter what it is.

Thanks for your time Rangers.
11x Option 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome back, Slov, your PT still leaves a lot to be desired. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slov
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Slov »

Rangers, I am glad to finally say that as of last Wednesday 11x option 40 is finally mine! I was nervous, but excited at the same time. In total, I had to walk out 3 times of either MEPS or a Army recruiter. The 1st Sergeant who called me the day after my first MEPS visit still remembered me when I called him back up in September. He said he would get me my contract.

I had to retake my asvab. I got the same score ironically, and luckily. However, before I went the recruiters I walked out on the first time made to explain to them why I deserved to get a 2nd chance and how to guaruntee I will not walk out next time. One thing I learned very quickly is to stand my ground. I let them try to choose the contracts for me by saying I would take 11x option 4, and 11x as a last resort. I told their 1st Sergeant that as well before going to MEPS a few days later. They took advantage of that and said that Option 40s weren't available " on that day." After I came back from my asvab retest, I told them that the only reason I was here was 11x Option 40. They said that I would be waiting a long time for Option 40. I told them straight up that I was willing to wait since new contracts were coming in November due to the fiscal year. The leading recruiter there didn't like that at all. So I simply walked out, politely and respectfully.

I got a call from the 1st Sergeant a few days after and they wanted to offer me 18x. I appreciated the offer, but I said no thank you and to call me immediately when 11x Option 40s are available. SF was a consideration a long time ago, but due to my age, maturity, and experience I decided waiting would be the best, and it's something I don't want to do right now.

I waited only 1 full month. I was starting to worry the 1st sergeant had forgotten about me, but he hadn't. I was getting ready to call him a certain week, and I got a call from him saying Option 40s were now avaliable due to fiscal year starting up. He said he would contact me with more info. Another few weeks go by and I end up with another recruiter from another station. I had 11x Option 40 reserved by the 1st Sergeant and my recruiter. I went down to MEPS last Monday. Stayed until Tuesday. Physical was updated and got my Airborne physical. Weight dropped to 175 from 195. I am fully qualified. Finished around 9:30 am and sat waiting for about 6 hours in the liaison waiting area. Apparently my reservation was not there and my contract was only 11x

At this point I had some red flags. Long story short... Someone lied to the First Sergeant, his Sergeant Major, my recruiter, and the MEPS liaisons. I told all of them I was here for 11x Option 40 and that was it. So basically I went home. Everyone was angry, not at me, but the person who screwed up. I missed 2 days of work and the contract wasn't there. That was the 3rd time I walked out. Less than 13 hours later I get a call from the 1st Sergeant saying my Option 40 randomly popped up. I got down there ASAP. To be honest I chuckled a little on the inside, because the MEPS liaisons tried to tell me I could be waiting another year for 11x Option 40 when I turned down other Option 40 contracts, including radio operator with a 25k bonus and it was only 13 hours later. Every Liason said I was one lucky guy. If I was just lucky or preservered, I was just damn happy.

Last Wednesay I walked in, got my 11x Option 40 reservation, got fingerprints, and swore in. I was so happy to finally start on this path! I wish I would have done it sooner.

Ship date is 20160112
OSUT at Benning is 20160122
BAT at Benning is 20160509

11x Option 40 in writing, on paper. The title says US Army Airborne Ranger on my reservation paper, but on my training location dates RASP is not listed at all. Is this common?

On my statement of enlistment (RGV4) 11x Option 40 is listed along with Jump School and RASP details set for PT, and specially even says " for 11x Option 40 "in the fine print details. I am assuming that I am worrying about nothing, but having things on file and on paper is the most important for me, even if I saw 11x Option 40 being reserved and pulled for me with my own eyes.

Thank you for your time Rangers! - Slov
11x Option 40

Slov
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Slov »

Edit: I did not tell the 1st sergeant I was willing to take 11x option 4 or 11x as a last resort. I told him I wanted only 11x option 40. Poor sentence structure, word placement, and a simple typo was the reason for the confusion.
11x Option 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”