Introduction: Andrew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

medicaustik
Embryo

Introduction: Andrew

Post by medicaustik »

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Andrew, I'm a 26 year old paramedic out of Northern Virginia. Though I am a paramedic and firefighter, I do so on a volunteer basis and have for 8 years now. I recently got certified as a Critical Care Paramedic as well. I actually work full-time as an IT guy and run a side-business teaching CPR, First Aid, and some advanced medical courses.

I love being a paramedic, and I love adventure with a strong side of challenge. Some of my best memories involve shaking in fear, being exhausted beyond anything I've ever felt and wanting to quit but pushing myself through it. Having tasted such things, sitting at a desk eats at my soul.

And so, I've found myself learning about the 75th Ranger Regiment and the 68W MOS. For several years I thought that becoming an Air Force Pararescueman would be my preferred military route, and I'll honestly admit I'm still considering it. But the Regiment, the Ranger mission and the experiences of a Ranger I know are drawing me in this direction.

I'm here to learn more, read up on the experiences of other 68W's (already have found a number of useful anecdotes) and prepare myself to make a major life-altering decision.

Thank you all for being here and having such an open community,

Andrew
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction: Andrew

Post by Grim666 »

Andrew if you need information you can PM me. And welcome to the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome Andrew. If you want to earn a slot in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Where are you from in NOVA? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. We have a good number of 68W Option 40 members -- look closely at the letters from school to gain insight on your training schedule. Please self administer a PT test and post the results on this thread (add pull-ups to your exercise routine). Never, never quit!

You may find this link helpful:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Grim666 wrote:Andrew if you need information you can PM me. And welcome to the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have a lot of reading to do, but I appreciate having someone I can ask questions of.
Jim wrote:Welcome Andrew. If you want to earn a slot in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Where are you from in NOVA? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. We have a good number of 68W Option 40 members -- look closely at the letters from school to gain insight on your training schedule. Please self administer a PT test and post the results on this thread (add pull-ups to your exercise routine). Never, never quit!

You may find this link helpful:
http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Thank you as well. I have much reading to do - I've already found a metric ton of good information. Like drinking water from a fire hose.

I'll have PT Test results up in the next 48-72 hours.

About me: I'm from Prince William County, born and raised. Graduated high school here, did a couple semesters at community college blindly pursuing a business degree before realizing I had no interest in business really. I started to volunteer as a Firefighter at 18, then was coerced into getting my EMT-Basic. I found out in EMT-B that I actually enjoyed medicine so I got my EMT-I and shortly after my EMT-P. I also did a stint in a local emergency room as a technician. Ever since, I run at least once a week as a paramedic at my station. I was promoted to Rescue Lieutenant 6 months ago, which was a proud moment for me. I'm also certified in a couple of the rescue disciplines like Rope Rescue. I gave up the fire truck several years ago in favor of the medic unit - the glamour is on the fire truck, but the action is most often on the medic unit.

In EMS, the paramedic is basically the top of the food chain, and I've been there for a couple of years now. Things started to feel stagnant last year, so I got my certification as a CCEMTP (Critical Care) and I've been toying with the idea of pursuing the Flight Paramedic Certification. But that would require a total commitment, and I would basically have to officially make EMS my primary focus.

My primary focus has been my civilian career as an IT Systems Engineer, and while it pays the bills and (on occasion) keeps me mentally stimulated, it's not the life I imagined for myself. I'm 26 (today is my birthday funny enough) and I feel a bit of a ticking clock. There are things I placed on the "someday" list as a 20 year old, that will no longer be possible in another couple of years. And judging by how fast the past 6 have gone, I may lose my chance before I realize it.

And so, despite people telling me how stupid I would be to leave a good paying, stable civilian job in a growing industry, I can't help but find myself considering enlisting and getting myself into what will likely be the most difficult thing I've ever attempted. But, everyone else seems okay with living a normal life; nothing would bother me more.

I never feel so alive as I do on crazy EMS calls with a singular focus on getting my job done to the best of my ability. Those moments of being in the zone put me on a euphoric wave that carries on for days.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Well Andrew I can concur with many telling you about leaving a stable civilian job. First, are you married and do you have any kids? I am sure there are a number of members on this site who probably thought I was nuts as well when I enlisted. I took about a $30k pay cut to enlist. I was a street paramedic working a good job, with a great schedule. I had benefits and a pension waiting for me if I retired with them. After a while of talking with HH6 (wife) we decided fuck it lets do this. I left the job and enlisted with my wife and 4 kids in tow. I spent about 1 year away from the family Basic, AIT, Airborne, RASP, PreSOCM. Once I went to SOCM my family was able to move with me. Although the days were very long I still got to eat dinner and tuck my kids in most nights after which it was of to studying. So even that 10 months I was not "home" much. There is a lot to think about in making the decision. Make sure you are doing it for the right reason. If so then it is very worth while. Like I said if you want some more info off line after you read the Ranger Medic stuff let me know. I was in those shoes before I got here. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Ranger Grim,

That's encouraging and remarkable. I'm not married and have no children. Just a bachelor with a dog (and a supportive, close family who would take him in while I was gone). The reading I've been doing has been.. enlightening. This site is a gold mine. I'm not trying to brown nose here, but the fact that this community exists, and that it's packed with Rangers who are so helpful and encouraging speaks very highly of the Ranger community itself.

I intend on sending you a PM sometime in the next hour or two after I've done a bit more reading. Again, I appreciate your offer of help.

Andrew
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site Andrew. It's a hard decision to make, but if you make it, it will be a very rewarding one. You have to be willing to give 110 % into that decision or you won't make. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Thank you Ranger rangerjd.

Rangers,

I self-administered an APFT. I'm going to redo the 2-mile run ASAP as I did it on a treadmill and set the pace to my goal. This weekend I'll be able to run down to the middle school and use their track to actually complete an exact 2 miles and control my pace.

That aside, here are my numbers:

Push-ups: 61 (PFT: 84)
Sit-ups: 66 (PFT: 81)
2-Mile: 15:00 (PFT: 78)

If the PFT Score Chart I found is correct (military.com), this makes my current score 243. There is work to be done.

I did not do Pull-Ups as part of the above test, but when I got home I jumped on the pull-up bar and did 7.

Beyond my PFT, I have been doing a ton of reading and have found all the various Letters from School threads to be tremendously insightful. Likewise I had a good talk with a friend who was an 11B in the Regiment back in the early 2000's.

I have some more reading to do, and more work to do on the PT front - but I think it's time I started talking to a recruiter.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

The best way to do the APFT is to do all of the events one after the other. That's how they will be graded in RASP. Push-ups, Sit-ups, Run, Pull-ups, in that order. Give yourself no more than a couple minutes break between each event. It will give you a truer understanding of how you will do in RASP. Give everything you've got, ever time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Noticed that you have been on the site regularly, but have not ;posted in over a week. Have you chosen an MOS? Have you contacted a recruiter?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Jim wrote:Noticed that you have been on the site regularly, but have not ;posted in over a week. Have you chosen an MOS? Have you contacted a recruiter?
Ranger Jim,

I've been coming on regularly to read through the other intros and continue reading as much as I can.

I'm taking a good amount of time to think about this seriously. I've been getting my financial house in order and getting my fitness regimen to reflect more of what I need to succeed at RASP.

I have not yet contacted a recruiter, so as not to waste anyone's time.

It's a big change to consider.. just trying to get a lot of good information before making such a big leap. I feel like this would be a no brainer if I was 18 again :)
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Jim wrote:Have you chosen an MOS?
Ranger Jim,

I would be going 68W without a doubt.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

medicaustik wrote:
Jim wrote:Have you chosen an MOS?
Ranger Jim,

I would be going 68W without a doubt.
Good choice. To learn more about the training, just look at the letters from school thread. We have helped prepare a fair number of Ranger Medics. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
medicaustik
Embryo

Post by medicaustik »

Rangers,

Just want to keep you updated on progress. Here is my APFT done last night:

Push-ups: 56
Sit-ups: 58
2-Mile: 14:28

Compared to my first APFT (shown below) I've lost some of my muscular endurance. I'm on a caloric deficit right now to drop my desk job bodyfat, and I'd be lying if I said I've been working out as often or intense as I could. The runs are better - I was sore and hurting from my previous run. It's getting easier on the knees, and the body fat loss will help even more.

This is my first APFT for reference:

Push-ups: 61
Sit-ups: 66
2-Mile: 15:00

Even with the decrease in numbers, I'm happy with overall physical progress. Down a couple pounds, feeling good and enjoying the runs. Once I reach my goal weight, I can get back to a maintenance diet and get that strength back.

As for making a decision and visiting a recruiter- I haven't done so yet. I'm leaving for a vacation with family next week for 10 days, and plan on getting some discussion with them going and some time alone to think.
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Welcome here to the site. From my experience, I will tell you this: PJ's are experts in extrication and retrieval. Ranger medics are the best trauma docs in the military.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”