Introduction - Andrew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bernie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Andrew

Post by Bernie »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Andrew. I am 34 years old and enlisted with an 11x Option 40 contract, ship date 2014 04 29. I have a Bachelors degree in Accounting and will be entering as a SPC/E4.

First off, thank you for running this site. The information provided here was instrumental in helping me through the enlistment process and obtaining an Option 40 contract. My knowledge gained from this site also helped me make fast friends at MEPS as I was able to help out my fellow recruits.

My motivations for joining the Army with the hopes of becoming a Ranger are many, but I will try to keep it brief. I have spent the last 8 years working in the Finance field, and have finally realized that the job just doesn't fit me. I found that I was chasing the lifestyle that the job afforded, while hating the job itself. I have been a runner since high school and am more comfortable running ten miles and hitting the gym than spending 10 hours sitting behind a desk.

The Military is something that I was always very interested in but never considered for a career, mainly because my parents and friends pushed me in the direction of college and a job in businees. My Dad served in the Army during Vietnam, but later went on to a career in Accounting. It has taken a long time but I've finally decided to do what I feel is right for myself. I am excited to begin my new life in the Army I am looking forward to the entire process.

I want to be a Ranger because I believe it embodies the best of everything that the Army stands for. Rangers are the first to the fight and the ones called when the most important jobs need to be done. I want to be part of that group. I have read Dick Couch's book Sua Sponte, and the stories in that book helped to solidify my resolve.

Please excuse my late registration on the site. I have spent the last month trying to get the remnants of my old life sorted out and it has been a monumental task. In the meantime I have been focusing on my PT and have made significant improvements, though I still have a long way to go, especially with my pushups. Ranger Silverback's program has been very helpful. When I started I could only do 42.

My most recent PT scores:

Pushups 2 min: 68
Situps 2 min: 79
2 mile run: 13:44
Pull-ups: 11
11X Option 40
Ship Date: 20140429
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Andrew

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Andrew.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Andrew. Time is short. Please begin to memorize the Ranger Creed and open a note in the letters from school thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Yours is one of the better intro's I've seen in a while. Quite a task you're taking on at your age but I believe sometimes the maturity and age factor is more of a help than a hindrance.

Couple things to keep in mind as you progress down your path;

1 Because of your age you will be expected to be more of a leader during OSUT and all of your initial training. The Drill Sergeants will still smoke the shit out of you, but will also depend on you to help your platoon/class after hours through maturity and life experience. That's a good thing. They'll appreciate it greatly, though they won't be able to show that until you graduate.

2 The majority of your instructors may be younger than you, and when you get to Battalion or Regiment your Squad Leader and even your Platoon Sergeant may be much younger than you and you'll need to choke down your pride, anger or whatever emotions you're feeling at the time they're in your face screaming at you and realize just how much more experience they have in this field. Not easy to be 34 and have a 22 year old calling you a f'ing drone and smoking you all night long. Just remember, that 22 year old Ranger may just have 3,4,5 combat tours already under his belt. Accept it and be grateful for it.

Good luck bud. Kick it's ass.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Bernie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Bernie »

Thank you Rangers for the welcome.

Ranger Jim, a note has been posted in the Letters from School section. I recite the Ranger Creed when I do my runs and have it memorized at this point.

Ranger Cams, thank you for that advice. I am definitely in a better mindset now than I would have been at 18. Fortunately I have also maintained my fitness over the years, so hopefully that will not be too much of an issue, but time will tell. I am also more than willing to assume a leadership position.

Regarding serving under younger soldiers, I understand what you are saying. While it may help in leadership roles and staying out of trouble, I don't consider myself better than anyone else because of my age and life experience. Aside from starting at slightly higher pay grade, as far as the Army is concerned I am starting from the bottom and I am fine with that. If there is a Private in Regiment with a Ranger Tab or Combat Action Badge I understand that he will be the one telling me the way it is and not the other way around.
11X Option 40
Ship Date: 20140429

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”