Introduction: Levi

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction: Levi

Post by Lokiian »

Hello Rangers.

My name is Levi, I am 20 years old and I come from a small country town called Rainier in the state of Oregon.
Like many others, I am looking to start my path to be a part of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Joining the military has always been in the back of my mind, especially since I come from a military family (mother was in the Air force, grandpa was a Marine, great grandpa Navy). I was going to college for a couple of semesters, but then I decided it's not what I want to do at this point in time. I found out about the Rangers and what they do, and then found this site. I've been lurking on this site for some time, finding out as much information as I can about the Rangers and the steps to becoming one.

Yesterday I finally talked to a recruiter, he of course said he can't guarantee an 11x option 40 contract (he didn't seem to know the difference between Ranger School and RASP I might add). He said we can talk about it more after I take the ASVAB, which I will be taking in the next week or two.
I've also been making sure to do my PT for the past few months, and here is my most recent test results.

Push ups: 48
Sit ups: 60
Pull ups: 5
2 mile: 16min

I look forward to contributing to this site, and finding out what it means to be a Ranger.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20160105

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Levi

Post by Jim »

Levi, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. You need to improve your PT scores a lot. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Roger Ranger Jim. I'm making sure to go to the gym frequently, I was considering that it might be best to max out the APFT before seeing the recruiter, or seeing if I can go to basic next summer to give me time.
11X OPT 40

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site, Levi. As Ranger Jim said, your PT score need a lot of improvement. You say you go to the gym a lot, I would recommend you start doing at least half of you PT outside. You need to get you body used to doing PT in all kinds of weather. I think you'll also see your scores improve. I just finished a big job down In Rainier and if I remember right there are more than a few hills you can run in Rainier. Head south off of C St onto Fern Hill Rd or W 4th St and they will both take you up pretty good hills if I remember right. I have a big job starting back up in Longview in a couple of weeks. PM me if you'd like to ask some questions in person. I should be able to find the time. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Roger RangerJD.

I'm making sure to at least do my running outside, I run on the cross country trail up by the high school. It has quite a few hills and pretty rough terrain, and it will only get worse as it rains and half the trail turns to mud (did some cross country while I went to school there). I'll make sure to check those streets out as well. That's a pretty big coincidence that you are so nearby.

I did another test today and saw some improvement, however I'm disappointed with my sit ups. Looks like that means I need to work harder on them.

Push ups: 54
Sit ups: 60
Pull ups: 8
2 mile 15:50
11X OPT 40

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Lokiian wrote:Roger Ranger Jim. I'm making sure to go to the gym frequently, I was considering that it might be best to max out the APFT before seeing the recruiter, or seeing if I can go to basic next summer to give me time.
Go see the recruiter before you max out the APFT.
Open up comm lines with a recruiter.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Roger Ranger Steadfast.

I'll report back after I've taken my ASVAB and talked more to the recruiter to see where things will go from there.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lokiian wrote:Roger Ranger Steadfast.
I'll report back after I've taken my ASVAB and talked more to the recruiter to see where things will go from there.
Please post your PT results every two weeks so we can see your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Roger Ranger Jim.

So today I took the ASVAB, I got an 80 which is better than I thought it would be. As soon as my scores were sent my recruiter called me and asked if I could choose between SF or Ranger what would it be. I told him Ranger of course. As soon as my score was available he looked at the jobs available, and 18x was one, but no 11x opt 40's showed up. So he tried selling me on that today, telling me how SF are even better than Rangers and all that good stuff.

Friday I'll be going back to give him my homework and we will look at what is available that day. Hopefully that Ranger contract will show up, if not I'll tell him I'll wait till one shows up. Although he's pretty iffy about me wanting to wait for that contract.
11X OPT 40

Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Thank you Ranger ManchuV.

I turned my packet in today, the only problem was I was missing my HS Diploma/Transcript. We are working on getting that as soon as possible. My recruiter checked for a Ranger contract again and got nothing. Other than that nothing else is developing, I'll go back in on Monday and we will get things moving again.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Monday has come and gone. When are you going to post a new PT score? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

My apologies Ranger Jim, I haven't been on the computer all week long.

Got some big news today. I was able to secure myself an 11X Option 40 contract on Friday, it's ship date is January 5th, OSUT is on the 15th, and then Airborne School scheduled for May 2nd. The paper also states that I'll go through the MOS 11C course, so it looks like I'll be mortars which is great.

The way I got this contract was interesting, on Friday me and my recruiter finished up my paperwork and started to look for jobs on his list on the computer. He looked for a Ranger contract and got nothing. So he called this place called "the rock" as they said it and asked the guy if there were any available and got nothing. So at this point I was getting a bit disheartened and he started trying to hound me about picking 18X or some other job. But then one of the other recruiters in the office called the place again, did a little sweet talking, the guy found literally the last 11X Option 40 contract available.

I'm taking this as a sign and a huge stroke of luck on my part, I am definitely not going to waste a huge opportunity like this. So on Tuesday I'll be going back to the MEPS hotel and get my physical on Wednesday, and if all of that goes well I'll be swearing in.

I can't express how excited I am for what's to come in the next few months. I'll be making sure to PT my ass off, finish memorizing the creed, and doing whatever else I can to prepare.

Here is my new PT score:
Push ups: 57
Sit ups: 64
Pull ups: 9
2 Mile 15:43
11X OPT 40

Lokiian
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Lokiian »

Hello Rangers and everyone.

Today I took my oath and swore into the US Army. Surprisingly passed my physical with great hearing, eyesight, great everything, along with the Airborne physical portion. It was a very long and slow day, I'm glad it's all over with.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lokiian wrote:Hello Rangers and everyone.

Today I took my oath and swore into the US Army. Surprisingly passed my physical with great hearing, eyesight, great everything, along with the Airborne physical portion. It was a very long and slow day, I'm glad it's all over with.
Did you get a 11X option 40?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”