Introduction - Jake

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

SaltySnake
Embryo

Introduction - Jake

Post by SaltySnake »

Hello,

My name is Jake and I am a 25 year old male paramedic student. After graduating high school, I went on to obtain my bachelor's degree in business management. I then took a position in the financial industry for about three years before I decided to leave for a more meaningful career. I chose to begin a paramedic program in order to have a career that has high job satisfaction and one that focuses on helping others. However, I have also been contemplating joining the military for the past few years. I recently came to the conclusion that joining the military is something that will be extremely beneficial for me in all facets of my life. I decided that once I finish paramedic school I would like to enlist in the Army with an option 40 contract and hopefully make it to the 75th Ranger Regiment. The reason I want to join the Ranger Regiment instead of the conventional Army is because I want to be part of an elite unit with camaraderie and history that is unmatched by any other unit the the US Army. I have done extensive research on this subject, but most topics are related to 11X option 40, so I decided to join here and look around to gain some more information about other MOS's such as 13F, 25C, and 68W. Ideally, by the time I am ready to enlist I will have my National Paramedic certification. For this reason I feel that I would be most beneficial to the US Army and the Ranger Regiment as a 68W. However, my main goal is to be an Army Ranger, so I am not going to be picky when it comes to obtaining an option 40 contract. I look forward to reading more on this forum to gain as much information as possible before making my decision on which MOS to pursue.

Thanks for having me.

regards,

Jake
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Jake

Post by Jim »

Jake, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Where are you from and where did you go to school? Why do you want to be a Ranger Medic? You have not established a PT baseline to build on, so we look forward ty your posting your APFT scores within the next 72 hours. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the quick response and inviting welcome to the site. I am sorry for leaving out my physical stats. I am 6'2" 188 lbs. My most recent APFT score was a 242 based on the 18 year old age group. This score was derived from my doing 61 PU, 73 SU, 15:33 RUN. Physically, I have a long way to go before I am in the right shape to even attend RASP, but thats why I am here. I want to make sure I am going about all aspects of this process correctly. To add more onto my personal profile, I am from Massachusetts and attended a small liberal arts college in Central Massachusetts. One of the best things about going to a liberal arts school was that I was required to take a wide variety of classes and I am much more well rounded because of it. I would love to be a ranger in general because I believe that the US Army rangers truly have the biggest impact in today's war on terror. Being the most advanced and well trained light infantry unit, I cannot see why anyone wouldn't want to be part of such an elite unit. Sure, you may as why not 18X, or Navy/AF special operations forces. To answer that question, I believe that those military careers are very important and elite, however I do not think that their mission directly coincides with the capabilities of the US Army Rangers in today's global conflicts. We need hard charging men who will give up at nothing and will continue to push forward in the fight until their dying breath. I truly believe that the Ranger Regiment is that exact unit. I feel that other SOF units would be capable of doing a similar job, but at the end of the day it is the job for the Rangers to do and without failure. That is why I want to join such an elite unit and be able to fight alongside such motivated and courageous individuals.

As far as Ranger Medic goes, it is not a dead-set MOS choice of mine. However, with my skills learned in the civilian world, I feel that I would be most beneficial to the Ranger Regiment if I were a Ranger Medic. Although, on the other hand I feel that I would also be a great asset if I were to go in as an 11X, 13F, 25C etc. while also having civilian emergency medicine skills secondary to my primary MOS. That, really, is my main goal for joining this forum. I'd like to decide which MOS may be right for me and then formulate a plan to get to where I need to be in order to obtain an option 40 contract and succeed.

I hope this helped explain my current status and future aspirations a little more.

Thanks again,

Jake
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Your intro is in the wrong forum. You're not a Ranger or Veteran. Attention to detail will do you well here.
It has been fixed. Thanks, Jeff.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Hi Ranger Cams,

You are right. I should have realized where I was posting instead of posting under the first thread that I saw with the title "Introduction". I made the mistake of not reading the entire description of the thread topic. I will be sure to work on that. For now, I will read up on other threads to learn more about being a Ranger.

Thanks,

Jake
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SaltySnake wrote:Hi Ranger Cams,

You are right. I should have realized where I was posting instead of posting under the first thread that I saw with the title "Introduction". I made the mistake of not reading the entire description of the thread topic. I will be sure to work on that. For now, I will read up on other threads to learn more about being a Ranger.

Thanks,

Jake
Inattention to detail. Now tell us more about your efforts to enlist.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Jake,

If you are wishy washy about being a medic in the 75th than that job is not for you. I say that as it is either something you want or not, with this job there is no in between. It is the longest path into regiment. While other guys you graduated RASP with are going to their respective battalions you are not. You are headed to PreSOCM and then to SOCM for the next year. You have to be willing to take the long hard path in order to make it as a medic. If you want it, really want it then go for it. If you are not sure then it is not for you
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Ranger Jim,

Right now my plan is to try and get my PT to a higher level so that I can become a more desirable candidate. I plan on seeing the recruiter at some point next week to get the ball rolling. However, I still have about 6 more months until I am done with my paramedic program. Due to this, I know it will be a long process with recruiters. Although, it can't hurt to start early since Option 40 contracts are scarce. I will be sure to provide an update with any news from that meeting.

Ranger Grim,

I completely agree with what you are saying in that being a Ranger medic is not something that someone should be on the fence about doing. I think that I gave the wrong impression. I would love to be a Ranger medic and would actually look forward to the additional medical training that it entails. The only reason I am wishy washy is that I know it can be hard to get a 68W Option 40 contract, or an Option 40 contract at all for that matter. So, my plan is to have a few different MOS's that I am open to given they come with an Option 40. Of those possible MOS's I would prefer to sign a 68W Option 40, but I am not dead set in the sense that I will sign nothing but a 68W Option 40.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jake, you may find this link helpful. It shows the MOSs that the Ranger Regiment is looking for. You can look up the requirements of all the skills needed on google.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for providing the above link. I will take a look at it and explore a few other MOS options that I may not have considered in my initial assessment.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

SaltySnake wrote:Ranger Jim,

Right now my plan is to try and get my PT to a higher level so that I can become a more desirable candidate. I plan on seeing the recruiter at some point next week to get the ball rolling. However, I still have about 6 more months until I am done with my paramedic program. Due to this, I know it will be a long process with recruiters. Although, it can't hurt to start early since Option 40 contracts are scarce. I will be sure to provide an update with any news from that meeting.

Ranger Grim,

I completely agree with what you are saying in that being a Ranger medic is not something that someone should be on the fence about doing. I think that I gave the wrong impression. I would love to be a Ranger medic and would actually look forward to the additional medical training that it entails. The only reason I am wishy washy is that I know it can be hard to get a 68W Option 40 contract, or an Option 40 contract at all for that matter. So, my plan is to have a few different MOS's that I am open to given they come with an Option 40. Of those possible MOS's I would prefer to sign a 68W Option 40, but I am not dead set in the sense that I will sign nothing but a 68W Option 40.
Who gave you permission to rename one of our Ranger members. We do not have a Ranger Grim on this site. You need to double check his name and make the proper corrections as needed. You have been warned about Attention To Detail already, you need to start paying attention. This is not facebook. It may seem like small stuff to you, however in a real world situation, inattention to detail will get you or someone else killed. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Roger Ranger rangerjd. There is no excuse for my mistake.

Ranger Grim666,

I apologize for the incorrect usage of your name. It will not happen again.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jake, saw you on the site today. Are you serious about becoming a Ranger Medic?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Ranger Jim,

Sorry for the delay on posting a response. I have been busy with paramedic school and admittedly lost track of time (I will work on time management skills). Unfortunately I have not met with an Army recruiter yet. My PT scores have fallen significantly due to lack of PT. As a result, I have felt too embarrassed to begin the process of asking for an Option 40. There is no excuse for my lack of PT - Especially since I said I would focus more on fitness in my post from November 25, 2015. I have created a workout regimen and diet plan that I started last week. I plan to follow this religiously for the next few months in order to get my PT scores back to where they once were (still low). Once I get to that point I will go see a recruiter and begin asking for Option 40 availability. Realistically, I plan on this being about 6-8 weeks from now.

I am confident that if I follow my plan to completion I will succeed in being an ideal candidate physically and mentally.

Current stats:
PU: 46
SU: 43
2 MILE RUN: 16:21
PULLUPS: 4

I will post an update on my PT stats in 2 weeks.

Thank you,

Jake
SaltySnake
Embryo

Post by SaltySnake »

Ranger Jim,

This is my first time logging in after a few weeks. I will be sure to log in and participate more frequently.

To answer your question, yes, I am still interested in becoming a Ranger Medic or a Ranger in general. As previously stated I would like to continue in the medical field as a Ranger, however if I am able to obtain a contract for another MOS I would not pass up the opportunity. I realize that being a Ranger Medic takes a very determined person and I am interested in learning even more from the Army as a medic, but becoming an Army Ranger is what is most import to me. So if that means being able to do so in an MOS field such as 11X, 13F or 25C I would not hesitate to jump at the opportunity.

Thanks and regards,

Jake

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”