Introduction - Bill88

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bill88
Embryo

Introduction - Bill88

Post by Bill88 »

Hello

I have been lurking on the forums for a while reading various posts and finally decided to make an account. In January, I plan on enlisting with Option 40 contract and finally get on the way to achieving my goal of becoming a Ranger. I have had this dream for a long time and for the last months I have been working out as hard as possible and I believe I am in the best shape of my life so far and I can only keep getting better. Going from a complete couch potato for an entire year after I graduated to the shape I am now was no easy challenge, but I preserved and went from terrible PT scores to what I'm at now. Of course their is massive room for improvement!

I am 19, graduated, and working a part time retail job at the moment. My PT score is as follows

Pushup : 69
Situp : 101 (best score)
5 Mile run : 37.13
2 Mile : 14:14

I currently run 4 times a week (A chi run, lsd, general run, and sprints) and do bodyweight workouts everyday. For the last 10 weeks I did Stew Smith's Ranger/SF workout plan and that helped me tremendously. Regardless if he was a Ranger or not, the workouts are tough and will no doubt get you in amazing shape.

Thanks
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Bill88

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Bill88.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bill88, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We here at armyranger.com take great pride in the achievements of the young men who pass thru the site on their life journey. Please read the FAQs as well as select stickies and threads. Add pull-ups to your workout. You may find this link helpful. Pay attention and never, never quit!

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bill88
Embryo

Post by Bill88 »

Jim wrote:Bill88, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We here at armyranger.com take great pride in the achievements of the young men who pass thru the site on their life journey. Please read the FAQs as well as select stickies and threads. Add pull-ups to your workout. You may find this link helpful. Pay attention and never, never quit!

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Thanks CharlieRanger1FFV and Ranger Jim for the welcoming! Thanks for the link. I already do pullups in my workouts, I'll make sure to add some more! My pullup max is 17 and chinup 20.
Bill88
Embryo

Post by Bill88 »

Hello Rangers, just an update

Improved my PT scores to 77 pushups and 108 situps, I haven't run a 5 mile sprint in a while, been doing LSD runs and 4 mile runs. Got my two mile down to 13:42 But now I have a problem and was hoping some of you could shed some light.

During the Airborne physical, you are required to perform the "Valsalva manuever" and pop both of your ears by holding your nose and breathing in. I have tried this daily for the last week, and cannot get my right ear to pop. My left ear will make the popping sound but nothing will happen on my right. I bought over the counter ear wax removal and did it twice to my right ear and still the right ear will not pop. I have researched the problem and found two scuba divers who said they had the same problem and had to get surgery, apparently since their eustachian tubes aren't straight or something of the sort. This could be the problem that ruins my dreams. I called an ENT and they are going to charge me an insane price to even get it looked at, so I'm not going to an ENT now. What would you all recommend I do? Am I screwed? People online say if you can't get one of your ears to pop and jump out of a plane, your eardrum will burst. My thinking now is just enlist anyway and if I can't pass an airborne physical then just refuse to sign anything or go any further. No point in me joining the army and not doing what I want. thanks to all the help
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Just because you can not feel it doesn't mean it is not working. Someone has to be looking in there to tell you if it is working or not. Just relax and go get your physical. Make sure you take care of yourself and you are not congested and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Bill88
Embryo

Post by Bill88 »

Grim666 wrote:Just because you can not feel it doesn't mean it is not working. Someone has to be looking in there to tell you if it is working or not. Just relax and go get your physical. Make sure you take care of yourself and you are not congested and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ranger Grim, thanks for the quick informative reply. I won't worry about my ears then.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site Bill88, first thing you need to do is work on your attention to detail. Who gave you permission to rename one of our Rangers on this site. I believe you owe Ranger Grim666 an apology. If you want to be a Ranger you need to learn to follow the rules and pay close attention to detail. It may seem like a small thing to you, however, when the stakes are high, one small lapse and people die. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Bill88
Embryo

Post by Bill88 »

Apologies to To Ranger Grim666, thanks for setting me straight Rangerjd.

Updates on my situation. I talked to a recruiter last week and I told him I only want Option 40 contract. He apparently thinks I just want regular 11b. He would say during our discussion "well since you just want infantry, etc". I told him "I want the Option 40 contract, that is my guaranteed chance to go to RASP, etc". He told me to worry about that once I have enlisted. He told me he would call me tomorrow, I want to make plans for MEPS. I will tell him tomorrow and make sure we are on the same page that I only want Opt. 40 and will not sign any other contract or sign 11lb with the hope that one day I'll become a Ranger.

He said to me that during Meps, I'll go down and get everything done. Then come back with him and pick the job I want at the recruiter office. I was thinking you go to Meps, get your job, then swear in. I will let you all know when I get my MEPS date.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Any new developments? When do you go to MEPS? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”