Introduction - Brent

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Brent

Post by Jim »

Well, the week is gone. What did your recruiter say? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Today was actually the first day I had the opportunity to talk with a recruiter in person, and thus far everything seems to be going well. I'm in a little bit of a hurry right now because I'm actually going back in an hour to do some of the paperwork and I need to get some character references and find a few documents beforehand. Within the next couple of days I will try to post a better update on my situation. I appreciate you checking in on me Ranger Jim to be sure I'm not slacking!
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160105

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thanks for the welcome and advice Ranger ManchuV. I am very happy to have found this website, and it has already proven to be an invaluable resource to me.

As for my current situation, I completed most of my packet (references, history, etc.) on Tuesday, with the exception of the medical information, which had to be put on hold due to me briefly using an inhaler when I was nine or ten and had bronchitis. However, my recruiter was able to look at the jobs currently available (although he was obviously not going to be able to reserve one for me yet). At that point, there were no 11x Option 40 contracts available, but there were numerous Option 40 contracts with different MOS’s, as well as a large number of 18x contracts.

Today we were finally able to get ahold of the documents regarding my inhaler use, and they were worse than I was expecting. My mother and I had no memory of me using an inhaler for longer than a week, but apparently I used it a few times within about a year-long period, and the medical documents could be interpreted as showing that I used it a significant amount during this period. We did however finish the packet today and got it sent off. Based on his past experiences, my recruiter believes that when the packet gets reviewed they will probably want me to undergo some type of testing to show that my inhaler use isn’t indicative of breathing problems (despite my records proving I don’t have asthma). I’m crossing my fingers this won’t be the case.

Right now, I’m debating what I want to do once all the paperwork has cleared. Optimally, I will be able to snag an 11x Option 40 without much hassle. However, if this does not happen I’m going to have to make some serious decisions. If I could, I feel that I would be both mentally and physically ready to leave for basic training tomorrow. For this reason, the idea of having to wait months (or longer) for a contract sounds incredibly unappealing. If available, I would consider settling for an 11x Option 4 contract, and then I would simply hope and pray that I am given the opportunity to attend RASP, although I hate leaving anything to chance. An 18x contract (which is apparently very easy to obtain) is the main alternative I am considering if it looks like I will be unable to get the contract I want the most within a reasonable amount of time. However, despite all my research, I still have some unanswered questions about 18x contracts. If there is anyone on here who is familiar with the path to becoming a Special Forces soldier and 18x contracts, I would really appreciate it if you could send me a message.
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brent, If you were not already aware 18X soldiers are required to speak a foreign language. Do you already speak a foreign language? If not, 11X Option 40 does not have that requirement.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Ranger Jim, I was aware of the language requirement, and I do not currently speak a foreign language. However, I would enjoy learning one if given the opportunity.

Do most people who become Special Forces soldiers know or have some familiarity with a foreign language before attending the Q Course, or is it normal to begin language training without any prior knowledge of the language being learned?
11x Opt 40

judeisnotobscure
Ranger

Post by judeisnotobscure »

I've had a few buddies that attended the q course without speaking a second language. A couple of them got their long tabs but that's coming from a regular army unit. They may have different requirements for new recruits. Best to ask your recruiter specifically what the requirements are.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
class 6-05
82nd 1/325 9-02 to 9-06
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

SF are required to speak a foreign language, but they will train you in it first. It is now part of the SFQC. Having said that, I would strongly discourage anyone to go into SF directly, regardless of age. Being in SF requires a level of maturity that people under the age of 25-26 just don't have (no matter what you may think of yourself). Further, I am a firm believer that being in the Army for a time first, aside from maturing you, teaches you things about discipline (depending on MOS and organization), that you will not receive in SF. You have to be tactically proficient because you conduct combat operations (7-8) by with or through an indigenous force.

My first duty assignment was 1/75. I came in wanting to be a Ranger and never gave SF two thoughts until I had been in the Army for 6-7 years. I would have done it no differently. My experience in 1/75 were critical in shaping me into being a well trained and disciplined soldier. I thank God that I went there first.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thank you for the information and advice judeisnotobscure; when in doubt, it is never a bad idea to ask a recruiter.

Ranger sinjefe, I really appreciate your insight into this matter. Although I do consider myself fairly mature, I also recognize that I’m a 22-year-old without much experience in the real world. For this reason, I think you are unquestionably right that it would be to my benefit to avoid directly going into the SF. That being said, until I know that I will be able to get an 11x Option 40 contract, I hate to completely rule out an 18x contract. Even if starting out in SF may not be the best option, I feel like it might be better than getting a regular 11x contract and risk not even getting a chance at Airborne and RASP simply because I’m unlucky.
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I want to reinforce what Sinjefe said. That's the route I went. As mentioned in my signature, I was an advisor in Viet-Nam, a trainer in El Salvador and was an advisor to the Saudi Arabian National Guard. Working with foreign army units require a great deal of maturity and experience. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Being an 11X in the Regular Army is perfectly honorable and, in my opinion, Airborne or not, a better choice than going into SF directly as an 18X. It isn't about you, it is about the strength of the regiment. Once in for awhile, you can re-attempt going to the RR or SF.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Here are the results from a PFT I conducted today:

Push-ups: 87
Sit-ups: 87
2 mile: 13:16
Dead-hang pull-ups: 15

I'm not incredibly happy with these scores, but I swam for a few hours yesterday (which was the first time in years I have swam at all) so I'm not surprised that they are worse than my last one. Hopefully next time I will show more improvement.
11x Opt 40

BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

I conducted another PFT this morning with a 5 mile run:

Push-ups: 79
Sit-ups: 90
5 mile: 37:17
Dead-hang pull-ups: 16

I'm a little confused regarding why my push-ups seem to be dropping. I'm hoping that it's simply because I'm doing a better job of locking my elbows now, but I can't say for sure. I'm a little worried that I have been focusing so much on running that I'm losing upper body muscle, but I don't see how this could be the case (I'm still working my upper body, I'm just putting a larger emphasis on running and rucking than I ever have before).

I'm going to do a little looking around the internet on technique and I will start doing them more often to see if I can get them back up to a level that feels more satisfactory to me.
11x Opt 40

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

There are a few good push-up threads on here. If you had shitty form before you will lose some when you square yourself away. Do different kinds wide, regular, and diamond. That is all in the thread. It will help out. Make sure you are eating right and getting enough exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thanks for the advice Ranger Grim666. I did some looking on here and found a push-up workout that I will add to my current routine.
11x Opt 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”