Introduction- Dad of a soon to commission IN 2LT

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

justadad
Ranger Dad

Introduction- Dad of a soon to commission IN 2LT

Post by justadad »

G'day Rangers,

Dad of a soon to commission IN 2LT here. He's headed for Benning pipeline (IBOLC/RS/ABN) then to an airborne unit on jump status.

Long time lurker, joining primarily to say thanks for your service and the help you provide to future Rangers.

It also helps me understand our son's future path, as we are not from a military background. Many posts here have helped me understand jargon and training sequences, especially ones dealing with Ranger/officer experiences.

This is his journey and decisions. We just try to follow and learn what we can without bugging him. We don't try to give advice, he has far better mentors available to him. So I try to stay in my lane.

Son knows he has much prep to do before IBOLC/RS. He has kept decent APFT's for the last 4 years (330-365 or so on the extended scale). Is already doing some 15 mile runs on weekends. Decent rucker so far, and had no difficulty with AASLT and similar smoke. Sounds like that's not even a hint of what's ahead though. I suspect pullups can use some ongoing work. He's fairly slim, so he also knows to prepare for heavier rucking. Hopefully some of the pre-ranger work they will get toward graduation will help, along with IBOLC.

Some of his role model/mentor senior officers served in the Ranger battalion. So he plans to put in a packet should that opportunity present itself as an aspirational goal.

But much ground to cover before then!

Thanks again for your service and support to the community! Good luck to all those future Rangers here and elsewhere!
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Introduction- Dad of a soon to commission IN 2LT

Post by rangerjd »

Thank you Sir, for raising a son who is willing to put it all on the line for this great country. Three of my sons and 1 of my daughters has served in the Military. I've also got 2 son-in-laws and 1 daughter-in-law presently serving. I think the easy part was serving, it's a whole lot harder watching and waiting for the ones you love, sometimes never quite knowing what's going on. Keep him in your prayers and recommend him to this site, there are some men here who were officers and can really help a young officer out with questions and leadership. Tell your son we all said thanks for his service. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, justadad.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome, justadad.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome. Where did your son go to school? What have you learned about Rangers?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
justadad
Ranger Dad

Post by justadad »

Thanks Rangers and team,

I appreciate you letting me ride along, and keep up the great work.

It makes me proud to see these kids you are coaching. They have chosen to do a very hard thing, something many of their peers will never understand.
justadad
Ranger Dad

Post by justadad »

Hello Ranger Jim,
Ranger Jim wrote:Welcome. Where did your son go to school?
Hudson HS, sir! (More details in PM)
What have you learned about Rangers?
Probably not enough, yet. At least just enough to understand why my son and the others here aspire to be one.

It has been very interesting learning, and I'd suggest that any parents spend time reading the archives as well as the intro/sitreps from the other candidates.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, especially for the officer track.

Thanks again for your service and experience.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

My family only had a small handful serve, with my closest relative being my Uncle who served in Vietnam. I can say it's hard to relate back or translate what I do to them. But the best thing they've ever done is never doubt me, even after I've made mistakes. I don't need to give you that advice, because it sounds like that is what you are doing.

Welcome and thanks for posting to let us know you are here.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
justadad
Ranger Dad

Post by justadad »

Thanks Ranger Disinfertention!

I think you are probably right, as a parent/family member the best you can do is be supportive and encouraging.

It does help his mom and I to learn more of their world, if nothing else so we don't have to ask for clarification on acronyms, etc. If we can provide input on the occasional "what do you think" scenarios all the better. (usually logistics, political or career related at this point)

His goal to put in a packet down the road was what led me here. That and learning about some of his CoC/Mentors experience.

Thanks for your service and the guidance you and the board provide to future soldiers!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He has an opportunity to earn a lot. I hope he will never compromise, never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
justadad
Ranger Dad

Post by justadad »

Thanks Ranger Jim!

And an update: my son is now a brand new butter-bar. Next stop Benning pipeline: IBOLC, RS, ABN. The good news is he has several weeks to continue his train up.

Thanks again for letting me ride along.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

justadad wrote:Thanks Ranger Jim!

And an update: my son is now a brand new butter-bar. Next stop Benning pipeline: IBOLC, RS, ABN. The good news is he has several weeks to continue his train up.

Thanks again for letting me ride along.
Congratulations justadad (proud papa)! & the new Lt.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Congratulations, and tell your son I said so, too. Now comes the fun part. ! :roll:
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
justadad
Ranger Dad

Re: Introduction- Dad of 2LT (now in Ranger School)

Post by justadad »

Hello Rangers,

Thought I'd give a quick update. My son has just headed North for the pleasures of Camp Merrill and Mountain phase. Made it through RAP week and Darby... hungry, tired, and cold, but otherwise upbeat and unscathed. He's ready to push through to the end, wants to get it done and get to his unit.

I'm sure there are better sources, but if anyone would like details on prep or recent Darby Pass specifics let me know. Just PM and I'll be happy to share what he and buds have told us.

Thanks,
Justadad

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”