Doctors in Ranger Regiment

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Sawyer
Embryo

Doctors in Ranger Regiment

Post by Sawyer »

Greetings,

I am considering the army Health Professionals Scholarship Program, and I'm looking for perspective and information from someone other than my recruiter. Regardless of what my recruiter tries to tell me, it sounds like I will complete a General Medical Officer or Flight Surgeon tour before going on to specialty training, and I'm trying to find out what that role is like in different units. Any knowledge you guys have on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

1) What are the typical duties of MDs in the 75th? I've heard that they recruit 61N (flight surgeons), do these guys mostly do physicals or do they run aid stations with the unit in the field?

2) Are the doctors mostly board certified/eligible, or are they recent school grads?

3) Are they typically prior service? Esp. are they prior Rangers who've gone to med school and returned for a GMO/FS tour?

4) What other schools are they sent to? (Ranger, Airborne, SERE...)

5) Are they considered "Rangers", or are they just attached to the regiment in some other way?

Just a note about me, I'm not looking to be Dr. Rambo. As cool as it would be to run around in the woods with a scalpel in one hand and an MP-5 in the other, I'm more interested in giving top-notch care to the guys when they need it. I have many year's experience fighting forest fires, and have a certain love for sleeping in the dirt and taking the hard road, not to mention a huge amount of respect for Army Rangers. I figure if I'm going to spend a couple of years attached to a combat arms unit, I'd like it to be with a real dedicated group. From what I know on the outside looking in, Rangers are about as dedicated as they come.

With thanks and respect!
Sawyer
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Doctors in Ranger Regiment

Post by Jim »

Sawyer, the procedure at this site is that the initial entry is to introduce yourself. Someone else can address your question. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sawyer
Embryo

Post by Sawyer »

Copy that, Jim. I posted an introduction on the Future Soldiers and Other Civilians forum. Thanks for the word.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Sawyer wrote:Copy that, Jim. I posted an introduction on the Future Soldiers and Other Civilians forum. Thanks for the word.
Proper etiquette on this forum is to include the proper title of Ranger when using a Ranger's screen name, unless Ranger is part of their screen name. Thus Jim would be Ranger Jim while RangerX would be referred to as RangerX.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Sawyer
Embryo

Post by Sawyer »

My apologies to Ranger Jim. Thank you Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds for straightening me out on that. There's certainly more decorum on this forum than I'm used to. I'll be certain to read the sticky's and faq's and try to avoid being a complete idiot in here.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

you'll get a much better response if you do.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Clownpuncher
Ranger

Post by Clownpuncher »

I know this is an old post but if anyone cares....
Disclaimer: I am not a Ranger Doc but I will share what I know; since, I still entertain the idea of going back to regt.

1) What are the typical duties of MDs in the 75th? I've heard that they recruit 61N (flight surgeons), do these guys mostly do physicals or do they run aid stations with the unit in the field?

Duties: medical advisor to the commander and assist with medical aspects of mission planning/oversee aid station and medical training/medic protocols.

Being a flight surgeon helps guys who need to enter/remain on flight status; so this would be helpful but probably not a requirement. My advice is to knock out the flight surgeon course as a 4th year medical student as an elective if possible. Airborne school too if possible.

2) Are the doctors mostly board certified/eligible, or are they recent school grads?

You have to be board certified, no GMOs. I think that goes for all USASOC physician slots nowadays. Family medicine, emergency medicine, and even internal medicine are probably the better specialties, but physicians from other specialties have been picked up.

3) Are they typically prior service? Esp. are they prior Rangers who've gone to med school and returned for a GMO/FS tour?

I am sure prior service helps, but I know a great former Bn surgeon who had no prior service, although he was a USUHS grad for what it's worth (DoD med school).

4) What other schools are they sent to? (Ranger, Airborne, SERE...)

You need to be airborne qualifed at a minimum. They'll send you to Ranger school at some point; unless things have changed, tab is recommended but not required.

5) Are they considered "Rangers", or are they just attached to the regiment in some other way?

I think I speak for most Rangers when I say that they very much think of their Bn or Regt surgeon as one of their own.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Clownpuncher, M.D.
Ranger Class 01-00
3/75 RGR RGT '98-'02
UT-Austin Alum
USUHS Alum

"Utinam populus Romanus unam cervicem haberet! [If only the Roman people had one neck!]" --Caligula
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Clownpuncher, MD! Well it has been four years since you sent a messasge. Hopefully, you are in Residency. Well done! Please spend more time with us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Clownpuncher - what company were you in at RS? We were in the same class. Don't know if I've asked you this or not, just wondering.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Clownpuncher
Ranger

Post by Clownpuncher »

Jim wrote:Clownpuncher, MD! Well it has been four years since you sent a messasge. Hopefully, you are in Residency. Well done! Please spend more time with us.
Hey Jim, long time I know! I am an intern (first year resident) at Walter Reed. Apparently anyone can become a doctor these days!
Clownpuncher, M.D.
Ranger Class 01-00
3/75 RGR RGT '98-'02
UT-Austin Alum
USUHS Alum

"Utinam populus Romanus unam cervicem haberet! [If only the Roman people had one neck!]" --Caligula
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Clownpuncher wrote:I know this is an old post but if anyone cares....
Disclaimer: I am not a Ranger Doc but I will share what I know; since, I still entertain the idea of going back to regt.
Congrats brother, glad to see you reached your goal. Don't be a stranger
Clownpuncher
Ranger

Post by Clownpuncher »

PocketKings wrote:Clownpuncher - what company were you in at RS? We were in the same class. Don't know if I've asked you this or not, just wondering.
Company?! Ha ha, I really don't remember...barely remember the class, and probably wouldn't remember that if I didn't buy the class picture!
Clownpuncher, M.D.
Ranger Class 01-00
3/75 RGR RGT '98-'02
UT-Austin Alum
USUHS Alum

Clownpuncher
Ranger

Post by Clownpuncher »

Congrats brother, glad to see you reached your goal. Don't be a stranger[/quote]

Thanks, yeah...I've had a little more time off here...thought I'd check in! Hope you're doing well! Still in TX?
Clownpuncher, M.D.
Ranger Class 01-00
3/75 RGR RGT '98-'02
UT-Austin Alum
USUHS Alum

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Congrats Dude, last time I saw you was in Austin at the Texas game about 2006,
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “Medical Issues”