Taking plate out of arm

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
whocares175
Ranger

Re: Taking plate out of arm

Post by whocares175 »

plates are typically used to reinforce and provide additional strength. after enough time yes it may be possible to remove it however, this typically isn't done unless a screw is backing out or there are other complications due to the fact that you have to go through surgery all over again. you'd be better off getting a letter from a doctor advising that you have the stability needed where the plate is for military operations. having it removed should be closer to the bottom of the list. the army grants waivers for everything. i'm sure they can grant a waiver if a doc signs off on it.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I have a plate in my arm for the same reason (stability for healing, could've been removed if I wanted). I had to get waivers for my scholorship, Airborne and RS and it was a bit touch and go (even 10 years ago). These things aren't that uncommon, and I suspect that metal that is no longer needed for functioning is waverable, just as mine was. Now, rods in the leg or fake hips are a whole different story.

My gut tells me that the recruiter is giving you either the easy answer or not fact checking enough, but I could be wrong. I'd be 100% sure before going under the knife. Surgery is tricky and you might end up with more medical issues.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

The ortho consult is for your own good. I have two, one for my rt knee before I ever went into the Army and then one for my left hand after I wanted to get back in after being out for 6 years.

Both of my surgeries healed up fine and the ortho's asked why I was there and both times it was because I wanted to go Airborne. If you don't get the option 40, just get your ass into the Army and then work your way towards your goal of being a Ranger.

I tried to enlist for SF but the recruiter jerked my chain around so I just asked for the easiest unit to get into SF from...and that would be....wait for it.....

RANGERS!

Once I became a Ranger and served with other Rangers, I lost my desire to go SF. Or I got it beat out of me at the 1st Bn.... :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Wrestler215 wrote:Ranger PocketKings, thank you. When you say that the recruiter is giving me the easy answer, are you saying that I can get Option40 in my contract even though I'll need a waiver? I'm also still deciding between 68w and 11b. Will either one be easier to get Option40 with? Or are they both the same?
When I say your recruiter is being lazy I'm insinuating that he isn't checking his facts on your ability to get a waiver because he wants to try and rope you into something else. I suspect you can get a waiver, but I'm a) not a recruiter and b) 7 years removed from the Army. So, take that with a grain of salt.

I'd put money on your plate being waiverable, let's put it that way.

I'll let a former enlisted man speak to your MOS choices.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

a plate is waiverable. as i said earlier it may require a note from a doctor stating that it's only for additional stability during the healing process. dont be in a huge rush to get it removed prior to the 6-8 month mark. the bones are still calcifying even at that point. if you can get your doc to draft up a letter for you then you should be able to get in without having to get it removed. surgery, while it may seem like an assembly line thing these days, should never be a primary option for something like this. the risk outweighs the benefits. i've known plenty of guys that came in with screws here and there, plates here and there, etc. hell, even plenty of guys came to Ranger school, Batt and here even in the q course with the same things. you're recruiter is definitely taking either 1-the easy way out because he's a worthless shitbag who can't hack it anywhere else or 2-trying to get you into another MOS as an NCOER bullet for himself. remember to most recruiters you're simply another number. this is YOUR career. they will try and jerk you around. hell i even had a "career counselor" at MEPS try that same thing with me...and i was prior service 1/75, Ranger qual'd with 2 combat deployments with Ranger Batt. my 214 spoke for itself and i said "if the army wants someone like me i'll gladly go to either SF (as an X-Ray) or back to Ranger Batt" as i was walking out the door...i didn't make it to the elevator before i had a contract in my hand to where i wanted. you may have to do something very similar and refuse to sign until you get what you want. just know IT CAN BE DONE! remember this is YOUR enlistment, YOUR job and if you stay in long enough YOUR career. dont let anyone steer you off course from where you want to go (start now because it WILL happen again).
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO

Return to “Medical Issues”