Torn Meniscus

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
whocares175
Ranger

Re: Torn Meniscus

Post by whocares175 »

panthersix wrote:
while i wouldn't rule out a partial lcl tear it sounds more like a meniscal impingement. basically a tear of your meniscus that rolled onto articular surfaces of the knee. the snap you felt would've been where the flap of meniscus either broke off completely from the rest or rolled back into place. depending on which portion of the mensiscus is torn there can be very little to no swelling, especially at your age, due to the lack of vascularity of the meniscus (only the posterior third actually has a blood supply, the rest basically absorbs the blood from that third). i would visit your doc and get an ortho referall or seeing how you mentioned duke, if you feel like coming to bragg i'll take a look at you myself. theres a few tests i'd have to do to confirm anything.[/quote]

I might have to come down to Bragg as I can't get into the VA Ortho for a consult. My primary care PA has been battling with them to get me an appt, esp since I've already seen them for this once before, but there is a PA over all consults in Ortho that says since I'm being seen by Rhuematology that I can't be seen by Ortho. Now I've gotten the OIF case worker involved and everyone but this one Ortho PA realizes its and injury and not an illness. I even went to the emergency room at the Durham VA and all I got was a tube of capsacin ointment.[/quote]

if you come to bragg let me know. shoot me an email jaosterhoudt@yahoo.com. i'm not a doctor (im a socm medic who's currently in sfms) and cant give xrays, mri's, etc but i can do a complete physical exam on your knee so that you can go to your doctor and tell them "hey, this is what's wrong with me, treat this...."
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

[/quote] if you come to bragg let me know. shoot me an email jaosterhoudt@yahoo.com. i'm not a doctor (im a socm medic who's currently in sfms) and cant give xrays, mri's, etc but i can do a complete physical exam on your knee so that you can go to your doctor and tell them "hey, this is what's wrong with me, treat this...."[/quote]

Wow! Thanks very much for the offer. I'm currently tying up some loose ends here in Raleigh, then I'll be heading up to Norfolk to a new job in the next couple of weeks. The knee seems stable, but it's gets sore if I run a few steps or walk too much. Think there is anything other than surgery? I'd like to rehab it without any surgery if possible. I won't be running for a year or two, but sometimes I forget...so it's not an all day, every day knee pain.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

Wow! Thanks very much for the offer. I'm currently tying up some loose ends here in Raleigh, then I'll be heading up to Norfolk to a new job in the next couple of weeks. The knee seems stable, but it's gets sore if I run a few steps or walk too much. Think there is anything other than surgery? I'd like to rehab it without any surgery if possible. I won't be running for a year or two, but sometimes I forget...so it's not an all day, every day knee pain.[/quote]

if it's a partial tear yes it'll heal on its own, you just really need to take it easy. your lcl and mcl are both rather small when compared to your acl or acl. if its a complete tear you'll have to have surgery to repair it. a good physical exam can give you a very good idea of where you're at however, clinically speaking, the only definitive answer would be an mri (if you're going conventional minded doctor who relies on technology). like i said, if you get down here, let me know. i'll do a full exam and check all your ligaments and your menisci.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Finally got into to the Rheumatologist last Friday. He put me on some RA drugs and I'm having good effects. The swelling in the knee is going done and I'm getting an MRI on the 20th. Other joints are calming down nicely too.

I'll let you know what the MRI says. Probably looks like gravel in between raw bones....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

glad to hear something is working for you.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course

Return to “Medical Issues”