Pre-exposure Rabies Immunization

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Pre-exposure Rabies Immunization

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Anyone ever receive the Pre-exposure Rabies Immunization ? I have had enough close encounters with odd acting foxes, coons and other wild animals as of lately that I am considering trying to get the shots.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Pre-exposure Rabies Immunization

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I suppose my question would be what is the benefit of getting the pre-exposure versus the post-exposure ( assuming I do get bit)? From what I can tell from reading, even with the pre-exposure vaccine I would still have to get a booster in the event I was bitten.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

What type of activities bring you in such close contact with possibly rabid critters?
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

dbmtrman wrote:What type of activities bring you in such close contact with possibly rabid critters?
:D No shit, regardless of species (including human) if it is frothing at the mouth, don't fuck it. That's how I have avoided rabies to this point in my life.

Missed you at the ranch brother...you rabid bastard. 8)
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

dbmtrman wrote:What type of activities bring you in such close contact with possibly rabid critters?

This time of year, I fly fish a lot of small, secluded streams and ponds and often have fox, mink and especially raccoon come with in a few yards. I have seen several raccoon and one fox that seemed to be sick and acting odd.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Flesh Thorn wrote:

This time of year, I fly fish a lot of small, secluded streams and ponds and often have fox, mink and especially raccoon come with in a few yards. I have seen several raccoon and one fox that seemed to be sick and acting odd.
And that's why folks wear a pistol while fishin! :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

panthersix wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:

And that's why folks wear a pistol while fishin! :mrgreen:
Works for me! An armed population is a polite population
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Flesh Thorn wrote:

Quit trying to stick your penis in the wild life.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Flesh Thorn wrote:

Well, uhhh, how do you know the fishies aren't rabid?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Wait till you get bit, then just get the serious of rabies shots. I hear they aren't shit, and don't hurt one bit.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I am surprised that it took 10 replies until this thread degenerated into comments about beastality. :lol: :lol: :lol: I love this place !
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “Medical Issues”