Ranger Medics in Combat?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Ryno78
Embryo

Ranger Medics in Combat?

Post by Ryno78 »

Hello Rangers,

I am curious as to if Ranger Medics are just as good as lets say, an "Infantryman" Ranger. I know that Rangers are like the Super Infantry but I was curious if the Ranger Medics did just as much fighting as the other Rangers? I have heard that A Ranger Medic is a Ranger first and a Medic second, but if somebody could clarify what exactly it is that Ranger Medics get to do, that would be very much appreciated as I plan on joining the Army in the near future and am not sure if I should go the MOS: 11B or 68W route...

Another question if I may: Do Ranger Medics get to go to Sniper School or get a chance to get into the RRD or have as much of a chance as any other ranger would in getting into Special COMBAT schools and training? Or are Ranger Medics just stuck with going to Medical related training and Basic Ranger combat skills?

I really want to be able to help my team out and save my brothers if one goes down, however I would very much like to be an expert in COMBAT just as much, if not more than Medical training. I also don't want my job to entail me ducking out of a battle and called out only if someone goes down.

If anybody could please enlighten me, that would be great! Thanks in advance Rangers. :)
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Re: Ranger Medics in Combat?

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I also don't want my job to entail me ducking out of a battle and called out only if someone goes down.
Ranger medics are there to treat wounded Rangers, not assault.

Ranger medics are needed throughout the entire organization, including RRD.

If you want to get some of the best medical training the service has to offer, and work in a proficient and efficient organization, than be a medic, and earn a slot in the Regiment.

If you want to kick in doors and shoot people in the face, than go Infantry, and try your hand in that role.

Good medics are much harder to find than good assaulters, and Regiment needs both.
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Ryno78 wrote: I also don't want my job to entail me ducking out of a battle and called out only if someone goes down.

So why be a medic then? From reading your post it is pretty obvious you want to go the 11B route. So go for it and have no regrets. As a Ranger Medic you will be afforded your share of training opportunties outside of the medical realm, however, your time as a medic would be better spent becoming a master of your craft.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Have you ever watched Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers?

Do the medics there look like they are "ducking out of a battle"?

If you want to be a killer, be a killer. If you want to be a life saver, you know what to do.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

http://ameddregiment.amedd.army.mil/amedd1.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THERE WERE 52 MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS WHO WERE SERVING WITH THE
U.S. ARMY MEDICAL DEPARTMENT WHEN THEY EARNED THE NATION'S HIGHEST HONOR.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Ryno78
Embryo

Post by Ryno78 »

Thanks Rangers for the replies.

I have read in some places that there are a lot of Emergency Medical Technician-Basic trained Rangers within the Regiment. They aren't as highly trained as the Spec Ops Medics but they know more than the TCCC training Rangers get.

So was I wrong about being a Ranger first, and a Medic second? Does your MOS come first or being a Ranger?

My main concern is, I want to be able to be very effective in saving my brothers but I want to get rid of the enemy as well.

I guess I could try to get an 11x Option 40 contract, and then when it comes time to re-up, I could request becoming a Ranger Medic if it's what I still wanted.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I can think of no more effective way to get rid of the enemy then to ensure that Rangers are able to return to the battlefield. If you go Infantry, you are but one. You go Medic and you are a force multiplier.

There is no differentiating between your MOS and being a Ranger. Ranger is in your heart, your MOS is in your training. Together they make a Ranger Medic one of the most important assets in a firefight.

Put it this way. I would rather take a platoon that was one squad short, than a platoon that was one medic short.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Ryno78 wrote:Thanks Rangers for the replies.

I have read in some places that there are a lot of Emergency Medical Technician-Basic trained Rangers within the Regiment. They aren't as highly trained as the Spec Ops Medics but they know more than the TCCC training Rangers get.

So was I wrong about being a Ranger first, and a Medic second? Does your MOS come first or being a Ranger?

My main concern is, I want to be able to be very effective in saving my brothers but I want to get rid of the enemy as well.

I guess I could try to get an 11x Option 40 contract, and then when it comes time to re-up, I could request becoming a Ranger Medic if it's what I still wanted.
O.K. Before I take your head off for even thinking that medic's are not important or whatever, listen... Use the search button. You are not the first kid off of the block looking at a medic contract that has visited this site.

Some of the medics I served with were slingin' lead and saving Rangers.

This is not Hollywood, and wanting to be an Airborne Ranger because it's "cool" (which is what your drivel sounds like to me) is not the desired choice of a recruit. If you want to be "cool", go somewhere else and save the slot for a stud who wants to serve his Country as a Ranger.

Re-evaluate your thoughts on becoming a Ranger, and make sure your intentions are legit.

No response necessary.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ryno78
Embryo

Post by Ryno78 »

Bravo57 wrote:
Ryno78 wrote:Thanks Rangers for the replies.

O.K. Before I take your head off for even thinking that medic's are not important or whatever, listen... Use the search button. You are not the first kid off of the block looking at a medic contract that has visited this site.

Some of the medics I served with were slingin' lead and saving Rangers.

This is not Hollywood, and wanting to be an Airborne Ranger because it's "cool" (which is what your drivel sounds like to me) is not the desired choice of a recruit. If you want to be "cool", go somewhere else and save the slot for a stud who wants to serve his Country as a Ranger.

Re-evaluate your thoughts on becoming a Ranger, and make sure your intentions are legit.

No response necessary.
Dear Ranger Bravo57,

With all due respect sir, I never said that Medics were not important or stated any negativety towards them. I hold much respect for those that serve this country. I am just curious as to what route I should take. If and when I become a Ranger, I don't want to be cut off from Specialty combat training because I am a Medic. I want every avenue to be open to me so if that means I should go in as an infantry Ranger to be able to go through the special combat schools I was previously talking about and more then, so be it. If those avenues are still open to me as a Ranger Medic, then great. If not, I might go infantry Ranger, then re-up as a Ranger Medic if it's what I still want.

In addition, I am not wanting to be a Ranger just because it's "cool". It is so much more than that. Albeit, they are inherently cool and worthy of respect :)

I was previously an on-call firefighter and was frequently on calls, 75% of them being medical. I really liked the medical aspect of it and it's a great skill to have, whether using it in a career or not. I plan on getting a bachelor's degree before I enlist and I am signed up to begin EMT-Basic training soon. Once I get that, I will be an EMT in the civilian world and once I finish my bachelors, I am heading down to the recruiter. So either way, I will have a decent pre-hospital medical treatment backround (I know it won't be nearly as great as the Spec Ops Medics) and will be better able to help my brothers if the need arose. It's about what I can do to help and get rid of the enemy, not about the title.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

What part of no response necessary did you not fucking understand?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Ok Ryno just stop..stop. You want the fucking moon and stars and every combat school the Army has to offer and be a highly trained Ranger Medic and sniper and door kicker, demo expert, HALO, Scuba, hero.........we got it.

Don't go medic. Their job is too important so save it for the guys who really want it and won't be dreaming about bullshit when they should be focusing on being the best medic in the Army. Do yourself a favor and go infantry. Then after you've gotten it all out of your system (which will take years to accomplish all your schools) and come back to reality, maybe reclass to 68W if that's still on your to-do list.

Ranger Medics are some of the most humble, quiet professionals I've ever had the priviledge to work with.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

This issue has been discussed many times. Had you used the search feature you would have located this post that says a lot about Ranger Medics particularly Sgt. Bryan C. Rippee.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... ic#p639478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
fusion94
Tadpole

Post by fusion94 »

Jim wrote:This issue has been discussed many times. Had you used the search feature you would have located this post that says a lot about Ranger Medics particularly Sgt. Bryan C. Rippee.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... ic#p639478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that's one of the private forums.
Scout/Snipers CSC 4/502 Infantry Berlin Brigade - (1986-1988)
Scout/Snipers HHC 3/7 Infantry 24th ID - (1989-1991)
Operation Desert Shield/Storm - (1990-1991)
Detachment 1, Company B, 1/20th SFG(A) (1991-1992) (NQP)
666th Ordnance Company (EOD), 1992-1994
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

fusion94 wrote:
Jim wrote:This issue has been discussed many times. Had you used the search feature you would have located this post that says a lot about Ranger Medics particularly Sgt. Bryan C. Rippee.

It is, but the relevant story can be found here:

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Arc ... 16-04.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
fusion94
Tadpole

Post by fusion94 »

RangerX wrote:
fusion94 wrote:

It is, but the relevant story can be found here:

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Arc ... 16-04.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roger that, I had located that link and failed to post it. Thanks for posting it.
Scout/Snipers CSC 4/502 Infantry Berlin Brigade - (1986-1988)
Scout/Snipers HHC 3/7 Infantry 24th ID - (1989-1991)
Operation Desert Shield/Storm - (1990-1991)
Detachment 1, Company B, 1/20th SFG(A) (1991-1992) (NQP)
666th Ordnance Company (EOD), 1992-1994

Return to “Medical Issues”