Heat Casualty

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Heat Casualty

Post by RRDTm3 »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
Right....similar to weight control. Once you get chubby, it sticks like super glue. Oh, Im sorry fatty....you were sayin?
Saying it pays to have a thick fucking neck
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

rgrokelley wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:Well, any of you Docs can refute this if you want however....once you have had a heat related injury it will always be a risk factor for you and you will be more at risk. Rangers, athletes, doesnt matter. Heat kills and they know it. Tough is nice but death sucks.
Why is that? I've always wondered why heat, and cold, injuries are easily repeated. Does anyone know why the body does that?
Same shit with bee stings, allergic reactions to various foods, snake bites, blah blah blah. I guess the human body wants you to know that it REALLY doesn't like any of the various vectors that lead to shock or death.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

RangerX wrote:
Same shit with bee stings, allergic reactions to various foods, snake bites, blah blah blah. I guess the human body wants you to know that it REALLY doesn't like any of the various vectors that lead to shock or death.
One would think divorce would have the same effect?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Myself
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

RRDTm3 wrote:
RangerX wrote:
One would think divorce would have the same effect?
One would think. Unfortunately I think the brain receives too much signal interference from the dick when it comes to the "what are you thinking" messages getting through.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Well, it would be safe to say that you forgot to hydrate properly prior to your little brush with death. You can drink all you want while exercising but the body takes time to metabolize the fluids, and you were already dehydrated before you started so it wouldn't have made any difference how much you drank out there. You also more than likely experienced the body's warning signs prior to its' shutting down on you....Headache, you stopped sweating, dizziness, etc. But being hardcore like we all tend to be, you ignored them and continued to push the envelope. I would highly suggest that you hydrate the day before and drink water the day of before heading out. Also, the rule is 20-24 oz of water for each hour during the exercise, augmented with electrolytes to replenish the salt and glucose your body burns during the workout.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

The docs I talked to today are a bunch of retarded fucks. The seemed unconcerned and questioned why I wanted labs drawn and tested. The nurse from the VA that is supposed to set my apt up said it's not a big deal, it happens to a lot of people and if something was going to happen it would have already happened between Saturday and today.

The numbnuts civilian doc I went to didn't even listen to the whole story, which included detailed description of my symptoms. I think they're important; but, what the fuck do I know? This is what that dumbfuck said, "So, what did you learn? Make sure you take two canteens full of water." I said, "I can't believe I have to pay for this expert medical advice."

Anyways, I'm going tomorrow morning to get the lab work done, and since I'm fucking paying for it, I want a printout or whatever the hell the results look like so I can get several dumbfucking doctor's opinions.

I really have no idea how to find a good, knowledgeable doctor with experience treating heat injuries. Maybe I need to just go to medical school for 7 years so I can treat my own goddamn problems correctly. [/fucking rant]
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

On a separate note.....Not sure what the rule is down in Florida, but here in Colorado, you can and will be billed for your rescue if it is determined that you acted in a manner that you knew was irresponsible. Yes there is a lot of room for interpretation but if the county feels you acted like a dumbass, you'll be getting a bill. I've been working with Rocky Mountain Search and Rescue for 7 years and the majority of the rescues I've taken part in could've been avoided if the victims had just used a little common sense. My experience is that the more assets required to save your ass, the severity of the terrain, or the amount of time it takes to find you all contribute to whether you'll be footing the bill.

Just to give you an example of how expensive it could be, we pulled a husband and wife out of the bush by Buchanan Pass last June after they got lost. The husband decided to leave the trail and try out the new compass he had just purchased (which as it turned out, he had no idea how to use). After struggling at close to 10,000' above sea level for a whole day, and hopelessly lost, his wife made the intelligent decision to stop and wait for help. Three days, two helicopters, two fixed wing aircraft and 50 volunteers later they were located about 3 clicks from the trail...........The bill he received in the mail was around $46,000!!!!
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I drink about a gallon of water per day, normally; sometimes more/less. Starting three days before the event, I consumed an emergen-c mix packet with water at morning, lunch, and dinner. I also carbed up on pasta the night before. I assumed that I was taking appropriate preconditioning measures; but, maybe not.I'm at the doc right now waiting for labs to be drawn.

Concerning being billed and me being a dumbass, I checked yesterday and I should only be billed if I was transported. I wasn't transported, so hopefully I won't be billed. I don't consider what I did and what happened being totally stupid. I did prepare, and have experience doing what I did. The part that I do consider stupid and my fault is pushing the distance and pace and not sticking to my original plan.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Concerning being billed and me being a dumbass, I checked yesterday and I should only be billed if I was transported. I wasn't transported, so hopefully I won't be billed. I don't consider what I did and what happened being totally stupid. I did prepare, and have experience doing what I did. The part that I do consider stupid and my fault is pushing the distance and pace and not sticking to my original plan.
Nobody called you a dumbass, at least not to you face. :lol: Seriously I reread the thread, and didn't see where anyone called you a dumbass. Don't be so hard on yourself. Make sure you get a thorough checkup to see if there is any underlying condition that contributed to this.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I drink about a gallon of water per day, normally; sometimes more/less.
Yeah heard it before, get on the truck.........................................what's your roster number? :D
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

RRDTm3 wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:I drink about a gallon of water per day, normally; sometimes more/less.
Yeah heard it before, get on the truck.........................................what's your roster number? :D
LOL That was great. Brings back some memories. Reminds me of of a Perimeter Road march back on Hunter. We had this vegitarian dude, that was the front road guard during the march. He started to go out, was weaving back and forth, like he was drunk. Just before he spun around a couple times and then fell back on his ruck. Last thing I heard him say before the truck picked him up was "Sergeant, I'm so dizzy". LOL Good times
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
LEROY
Ranger

Post by LEROY »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:The numbnuts civilian doc I went to didn't even listen to the whole story, which included detailed description of my symptoms. I think they're important; but, what the fuck do I know? [/fucking rant]
Doctors have their minds made up before they even enter the exam room. The may ask you questions and appear to listen, but they aren't.
H Co 121st LRS 00-14
RS Class 07-09
ARNG-WTC Schools NCO
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

RRDTm3 wrote:
I've refilled my 32oz cup 9 times today. That's pretty normal. I like water, I guess. It's like munching on snacks all day. Plus, I get to take about as many breaks as the smokers do, taking long, loud powerful pisses every hour. It's a game I play at work, seeing how loud I can piss.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:I am now lying on my back again and throw up everything I've eaten all damn day all over myself, in my hat...everywhere. ..
Musta been delirious! Why would you puke in your hat? Saving it for later? :lol:
That definitely was not on purpose. I just got that hat too. I could have reeaten out of the hat. It had the pleasant aroma of apples, bananas and citrus, and looked like apple sauce.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Return to “Medical Issues”