Question for MDs, PAs, RNs.....

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
91W
USAR

Question for MDs, PAs, RNs.....

Post by 91W »

Or anyone else that knows more about this shit than I do.

I fucked up my shoulder about a month ago at work. Swelled up and hurt quite a bit for a couple of days. Sharp pain with movement and a throbbing pain at rest. No restrictions for work since I cannot do my job with any restrictions whatsoever, This is because of our modified duty policy and its wording. I have been resting it and still fulfilling my job requirements. Started feeling better in a week, with the good ole Motrin, with just the sharp pain with movement. Popping and Clicking with movement, Limited Range of motion because of pain.

Dr was a typical Occupational Health type Doc, no offense if anyone here has chosen that profesion, that had the wallet of the company I work at first and foremost in any decisions based on where treatment was going. Typical PT that was very painful and unproductive. Finally ordered an MRI last week.

The results are in, I had to get them myself since they told me it had not been read two days later with the scheduled appointment. Found out the report is Time stamped 30 minutes after the scan was complete. I work part time EMS for this health service so I have to be careful or I would go off on someone for lying to me. All in all I have a serious trust issue with the Doc and staff right now. It has become obvious to me they do not give a shit about their patients, just the number they can treat.

Rotator Cuff Tendons OK....(sigh of relief)
1. Edema subacromial-subdeltoid Bursa
2. Joint Fluid

I am assuming this is at least bursitis. What I am wondering is what are the treatment options. I am really reluctant to allow this Doc to inject my shoulder with steriods, I would prefer an Ortho do that but since it is WC I do not have a choice where I go for treatment. Aside from injecting are there any non invasive treatment options that should be attempted first. And more importantly how successful are those options. If injecting the joint is the best option I will go for that.

I would appreciate any advice or comments since all he has wanted to do from the start, before any type of X-Ray, MRI, or even PT, was inject my shoulder and that threw up some major flags. Every question I have asked about PO steriods, the dermal patches, etc has been ignored and not answered from day one. From my time working with Docs in the Military I would have thought clicking and popping in a joint that was an acute onset would have warranted some sort of diagnostic imaging to rule out causing further damage to the joint before doing PT. As I stated I do not really trust the Doc to give me all the options and answers at this point.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Re: Question for MDs, PAs, RNs.....

Post by 289sotherhalf »

I'm posting as someone whose had what sounds like a similar injury, among others involving bones and joints. Not much luck there for me, apparently, LOL. If this post helps, cool...if not, then disregard.

I injured my shoulder at work, and also had some pretty bad bursitis as a result. I ended up having an arthroscopic surgery. Some of the things we did along the way were:

-Of course, rested the joint as much as feasible (although I was still working, I did so w/restrictions)
-NSAIDs
-Narcotic pain meds
-Physical Therapy
-Oral Steroids
-Iontophoresis
-Cortisone injection
-Surgery

The PT was a pain, but I believe it helped preserve some ROM. The ionto provided some relief. The cortisone injection, not so much (although I've had them in other joints since with much better results). Not to mention, it usually hurts worse for 2-3 days after the injection. I'm told it can cause bone and cartilage degeneration over time, and that you should really only have them done every 3-4 mo.s, max. You might see if they will try electrical stimulation w/a TENS unit. That might help. Also, as a side note, I have to say that Glucosamine Chondroitin has helped me tremendously as far as joint issues are concerned. You have to take it every day, but it helps.

Hope things work out for you and you find something that will help! If you have any questions, holler.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."

Return to “Medical Issues”