Broken both bones in lower arm.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
pellett2007
Tadpole

Broken both bones in lower arm.

Post by pellett2007 »

Rangers,

Yesterday on the way to my pre-ship meeting with my recruiter I crashed My mitorcycle. It didnt go down but i did hit a guard-rail. I have broken both of the arms in my lower left arm. I have a surgery on thursday and im going to sign my papers for release from the DEP. I need hardware in my arm and im going to need 2 leave it in there for it to heal right. Im not quitting but this is quite a road block on the way to my goal. After it heals I am going to have to get back into shape. This could take a very long tuime.

Please excuse any typos i may have missed using one arm and i just took my meds a few hours ago.
Sometimes you feel tired, feel weak
When you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up
But you gotta search within you, find that inner strength

Mentee to Ranger Bill.
Basic: 12 September 2008, Fort Benning.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Broken both bones in lower arm.

Post by Earthpig »

pellett2007 wrote:Rangers,

Yesterday on the way to my pre-ship meeting with my recruiter I crashed My mitorcycle. It didnt go down but i did hit a guard-rail. I have broken both of the arms in my lower left arm. I have a surgery on thursday and im going to sign my papers for release from the DEP. I need hardware in my arm and im going to need 2 leave it in there for it to heal right. Im not quitting but this is quite a road block on the way to my goal. After it heals I am going to have to get back into shape. This could take a very long tuime.

Please excuse any typos i may have missed using one arm and i just took my meds a few hours ago.
Bad luck. You came out pretty good, considering you were in a bike wreck. Where I live, those don't usually turn out pleasant. We've buried close to a dozen this year, and I live in a small town.

Get your arm healed up and re-evaluate your position. If you're still gungho, start the process over. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

RLTW
EP

PS: Just so we know you're not a quitter, how about posting some pics of you and your arm...pre-op and post-op.
Last edited by Earthpig on June 19th, 2007, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
pellett2007
Tadpole

Post by pellett2007 »

YEs Ranger Earthpig, I kept the bike up but when it hit the gurad rail the handle bar broke my arm.

Mentee to Ranger Bill.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Broken both bones in lower arm.

Post by Earthpig »

EarthPig wrote:PS: Just so we know you're not a quitter, how about posting some pics of you and your arm...pre-op and post-op.
Did you get the post script?

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
pellett2007
Tadpole

Post by pellett2007 »

Will get post OP up when i get home on thursday.

Mentee to Ranger Bill.
resqparamedic
Ranger

Post by resqparamedic »

Don't make excuses for yorself. It sucks what happened and is a minor set back. You still have al of your limbs. There are many soliders out their missin one, or more, and they're workign their way back in to the military. Once you are can take it, there is such things as going for walks and building up speed. You can also do weightless exercies such as squats, walkign lunges, crunches, sit ups, etc... If this is truly something you want you shold be able to adapt and overcome. Keep up the good work. Is there anythig stopping you from ordering you basic soldiers manual and memorizing it front to back? What about learning the Ranger Creed backwards and dforwards, along with putting otn sof Ranger history questions on flash cards and quizing yousrefl on them. Last thing, stay off the bike!
Regt HQ '93 - '94
Bco 3/75 '94 - '96

Afghanistan '04 - '05
Iraq '05 - '08
Sudan '08 - '09
Iraq '09 - As soon as I can finish up my contract!
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

guy I went to RIP with spent 2 months or so with a similar arm cast. he was doing BN runs with us, and as much normal PT as he could, as soon as he could. he got yelled at repeatedly for not being with the profiles. he did all he could as fast as he could, despite what he was told.

but he also knew his body and didn't push too hard too early. he never reinjured himself. if you want this, find the ballance and you can get back on track to achieving it.

and Duff is right. there is plenty you can do while laying on your ass, so long as you're not doped to the gills.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Sorry to hear about your crash. Something you can do to help in your healing process is pick up some homeopathic arnica, (some pharmacies carry it, but you can find it at health food stores as well).
Arnica Montana is a natural homeopathic remedy that is frequently taken by patients in oral pill form to help reduce post-operative bruising (ecchymosis) and swelling (edema). Grown in mountain regions, this homeopathic herb not only helps reduce bruising and swelling but also promotes healing and lessens post-operative pain and discomfort. Of the patients who have experienced less, little or no swelling and bruising, a good number of them have used Arnica Montana.
There are studies that try to disprove the healing properties of arnica, but conventional medicine tends to try to disprove many homeopthic remedies.

I used it last year as recommended by my physician, (pre & post op), I had two surgeries within 10 days of each other. At 3 weeks post op, my Dr. told me I looked like I was 3 months post op... We also gave it to our son after he had similar breaks (as you) in his lower right arm. He didn't need hardware b/c he is so young. Again, his ortho was very pleased with his swift healing.

Don't let this get you down. Like others have said, there are guys and gals coming back from overseas with much more to deal with, and they take it on like it's just another day in the park.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I had a similar injury from playing soccer. Still have the plate and 7 screws. You can do everything you want after healing from it, don't worry. I'll bet half the Rangers walking the earth have some form of metal in them.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

You came a long way from when you first arrived at this site and transformed from a kid to a young man ready to go off and become a Ranger. You have served as a DEP moderator and successfully completed every assignment I have given you. It is my hope that you continue to be active here, make a steady recovery from your injuries, and maintain your physical fitness as best you can - and you can still do a lot. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Take some classes at a community college while recuperating. Make a plan of action for how you are going to get from where you are now to where you want to be. Include specific goals you will accomplish be specific dates. Post that plan on this site. We will hold you to it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

resqparamedic wrote: Last thing, stay off the bike!
At least until you make it to Battalion.. :wink:
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

You know, you do actually resemble your avatar... :lol: :lol:
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
pellett2007
Tadpole

Post by pellett2007 »

42L5V wrote:You know, you do actually resemble your avatar... :lol: :lol:
Yes Ranger 42L5V, thats why I picked it. Should I change it sense I am no longer a DEP?

Mentee to Ranger Bill.

Return to “Medical Issues”