Swollen leg

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Swollen leg

Post by bulldogg »

Docs, I'm trying to figure out if I should make a trip to the hospital or not. Here's the history... 10 days ago during rugby practice I pulled or slightly tore my right calf. There was no swelling, just very stiff and hurt like hell (chandelier sign when I tried to walk later that evening).

During the week it got progressively better to where 6 days ago I felt well enough to play in a rugby match against the local college team. It was sore but I could run full speed and tackle no problem. By the 50 minute mark I felt it starting to tighten up so I had myself pulled for the duration. It was fine, just a bit sore but nothing to worry about I was taking no meds for it and walking no problem.

Now for the last two days it has been swelling and I cannot walk normally on it without a bit of "tension" just below the large part of the calf muscle. The pain is centralised in the meat behind the shin. The swelling is the entire leg below the knee. Its noticeable but goes away fairly rapidly if I elevate the leg above my heart. I have no underlying pathology. Time to bother the MD or is it just a swollen uterus?
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Rest, elevate and ice it down. Do not expose it directly to ice, but put a towel around the ziplock bag of ice.(20-30 min. at a time) every hour or so.

If it does not improve in a few days see a doctor immediately.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Roger that Doc, thanks.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Understood Leatherneck, for the last ten days I have done SFA with my legs, elevated and iced as the Doc said... its starting to get back to almost normal. There's still a diffuse discoloration from the blood but no pain. I'm starting mild stretching and walking this week and see how it goes. How's that old adage go, "Docs make the worst patients."
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B

Return to “Medical Issues”