ACL Reconstruction Surgery

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
peterk
US Army

ACL Reconstruction Surgery

Post by peterk »

Hi. As stated in my introduction, I had recieved ACL Reconstruction Surgery for a torn ACL about a year ago. I have looked up information about this for some time and found conflicting information. I want to be a Ranger, but as I have read, you can not pass a Ranger physical with metal (i.e.: screws, plates, pins, etc) in your body. I currently have some metal screws in my knee. My knee is at 100% and I believe I can do anything (jump, run, squat, duck walk, walk, etc).

So what I'm asking is whether or not I should let the army know of my knee surgery, because I have read some Ranger's responses that discourage this if it is not life threatening such as; asthima. Or should I tell them regardless, although I know I can not have metal in my body if I want to be a Ranger. And if i want to be a Ranger, it requires me to be morally straight as the Ranger Creed states. Have I read right when saying there are no waivers for this in Ranger physicals?

I am thankful for any information that will be given to me.

-peterk
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One-hundred-percent and then some.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Jason113
US Army Veteran

Post by Jason113 »

I do beleive that you've got your answer.
11-M,B co. 3/15 Inf.
24th I.D. 90-91
Formerly the_machine
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Thank you Jason113 and Bulldogg.
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

bulldogg wrote:
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One-hundred-percent and then some.
good post
It's all good.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Better to be turned down now and save some knee, than destroy them later based on a lie.
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Thank you for the adive SF Leatherneck. Ranger Doc Cook, is it really better to be turned down then to blow out a knee? If I blow out a knee I can always get it fixed, but how many chances do you get to be a Ranger? For me I would rather blow my knee out again having the chance to do what I wanted rather then get denied the chance.

But I'm looking to join after next semester or possibly in a year, hopefully then they will see I had my surgery 2 years back and my knee is as good as my other.

RSTB
Jason113
US Army Veteran

Post by Jason113 »

Bulldogg, pm inbound.
11-M,B co. 3/15 Inf.
24th I.D. 90-91
Formerly the_machine
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

peterk wrote:Thank you for the adive SF Leatherneck. Ranger Doc Cook, is it really better to be turned down then to blow out a knee? If I blow out a knee I can always get it fixed, but how many chances do you get to be a Ranger? For me I would rather blow my knee out again having the chance to do what I wanted rather then get denied the chance.
Say you manage to make it through RIP with your knee and deploy. Then you blow your knee out on a combat jump. Congratulations, you've just made yourself worthless and a medic has to treat and evac your sorry ass instead of a real fucking casualty.

Now your squad's a man short and at least one medic is tied up dealing with you instead of putting rounds on target or patching someone up.

Is that your big plan?

Good motivation. Poor judgement.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Point taken Ranger EvilCouch. Of course I know as a Ranger I would be part of a team and it would not be fair to the team if that situation happened, buts thats an if. Either way I know this is an issue I can not go around as Ranger Fish has stated, they will see my scar. Just wondering, but what is a p2 profile? So if there is no exception to the 'retained hardware' rule set in AR 40 501, should I forget about becoming a Ranger?

-peterk

RSTB
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Well seems I can not control what happens. Only if i had the ability to remove these screws, but these 'ifs' do not help me. Thank you Ranger Fish for the information, and I will strive for what I want. Except I need to figure out how to obtain something I want when something I can't control prevents that. Any insight from anyone?

-peterk

RSTB

Return to “Medical Issues”