Anybody ever have a hernia?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Earthpig
Ranger

Anybody ever have a hernia?

Post by Earthpig »

OK....here's my gay thread for the week. Has anybody out there ever had a hernia? As embarrassing as it is to say, I have one nut that goes up inside me when I run, lift weights, basically do any PT. It's been doing this shit for months. There is some slight discomfort, but I wouldn't really even rate it on the pain scale at all. I usually soak in a real hot tub after working out, so it will drop back down. I haven't missed any workouts, and with my other FOG ailments (strained ligaments, pulled muscles, and a screwed up achilles heel), I've just tuned it out. Just curious what the Docs have to say. Oh...I already drink plenty of water and take Motrin. :wink: :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Had one when I was 5. Sounds like yours is simalar the one I had. After the surgery, for most of my childhood, one of my boys rested firmly on top of my pelvic bone. It didn't drop back down until I was in my late teens.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I've had them on both sides. One for ten months while I was in Batt. The longer you go without repair, the more damage you can cause. You could have a problem with a portion of your small intestine actually going into your sack (inguinal) and getting so constricted that you actually have blockage in your small intestine. Definitely NO-GO terrain. I would say get it fixed as soon as was good for you.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

WoW, "n I thought I had it bad. Sorry EP, mine is different.

Actually I have a hernia presently but mine is slightly protruding from my lower left of my gut. I usually push items back in every now and then. It only hurts when I stand on my head so I've giving up doing that. :lol:

What Holmchicken is talking about is what happens to me - blocks my lower intestines - pushing sets everything back for a spell.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

What you need to do is find THE BEST surgeon to do this repair, even if you have to travel out of state to find an excellent Doctor with multiple hundreds of hernia repairs. A normal Doctor/Surgeon is not good enough. They need to be specialized in only this type of repair. Trust me on this.

Hernia's are easy to screw up and have you go back for 2, 3 or even 4 repairs. I'm not kidding or exagerating. Learn everything you can about the type of hernia you have online (and especiallly the recovery timeline) before you go in.

The next best advice is take the Doctors advice and REST
for 6-8 weeks after the repair. This is CRITICAL to the operations success.

You will feel like hell for one-two weeks after you go in, that is a given, but the 'danger zone' is about 3-7 weeks after the repair when you feel fine enough to start moving/lifting things. This is when your buddy will call you and ask you to move his sofa up 3 flights of stairs and you think it's ok.

Even something simple like vaccuming the carpet after 5-6 weeks is dangerous to your scar and can rip the damn thing open and make you go under the knife for a re-repair.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not even sure if I have a hernia. I just don't think this shit is the norm.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Scoty
Ranger

Post by Scoty »

I actually got cracked in the boys while playing hockey (quick pic-up game...no cup). They went up..didn't come down.....I had to have them sewed to my sack. First doc called it a hernia. After a few visits they finally diagnosed it "undesending testicles"....genius'!

Fuck..that really sucked.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Some more advice. Since that knife will be danger close to the family jewels, take a sharpie permanent marker the night before and draw an arrow to each nut (yes, both of them) and write ''DO NOT CUT''

You would be AMAZED at how many guys have gone in for a hernia and gotten either a vacectomy or had one or both nuts cut off by mistake! :shock:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

RTO wrote:Some more advice. Since that knife will be danger close to the family jewels, take a sharpie permanent marker the night before and draw an arrow to each nut (yes, both of them) and write ''DO NOT CUT''

You would be AMAZED at how many guys have gone in for a hernia and gotten either a vacectomy or had one or both nuts cut off by mistake! :shock:
Mistakes do happen. Be sure to tell them you are not there to have a Sex change before they put you under. No kidding.

I gotta lose 'nother 50 lb afore they can cut me (for the hernia).
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

The Holmchicken wrote:I've had them on both sides. One for ten months while I was in Batt.
JESUS! :shock: . I couldn't imagine putting up with it while having an active lifestyle.

I had one when I was 7 (from picking up a large rock to smash another kids sand castle :lol: ) and still remember it hurting like hell.

For the things that really matter: I have been told that sex is a no-go for a certain period of time after the operation...
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Had one on the left side at age 7 when my brother hit me with a sand bag. Then I got one on the right at age 42 when my then 2 year old son surprised me with a kick.

The right one: Mine (intestine) poked through the whole and was sticking out about 2 inches on my right side just above the crotch. I used my thumb and pushed it back in and when the pain started in the small of my back I called the doctor. It has a patch sewn in to keep it from coming out. The patch is made of a thin layer of “bullet proofâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

My three year old grandson just had surgery two weeks ago. He had a nernia and one of the twins was hung up. Everything went fine and I get to see him tomorrow night cause he wants to show me his zipper.

Better get yourself checked EP.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

EarthPig wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm not even sure if I have a hernia. I just don't think this shit is the norm.
RLTW
EP
Could be that your femininity is trying to take over and your nuts are trying to crawl up inside to make way for your twat. (it could happen)

Just fucking with ya bro... get that shit checked out,
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Don't fuck around with a hernia. That small hole in the wall might allow shit to come in and out but if something passes through and then there is swelling it gets stuck, when it gets stuck your circulation is cut off and then it dies and rots and you get gangrene and your whole gut becomes septic. Very fucking painful and very lethal. Don't let pain or lack thereof make you think this is something to ignore.

Here's a good place to start...
http://www.hernia.org/
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Anybody ever have a hernia?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

EarthPig wrote: I have one nut that goes up inside me when I run, lift weights, basically do any PT. It's been doing this shit for months.
Don't go and diagnosis yourself with an inguinal hernia yet. A nut slipping back inside isn't exactly a hernia. A doc will stick a finger under your nut sack and press while you turn your head and cough. He will be able to feel it and you will probably feel a very uncomfortable sensation. Do you have a lump above your groin on either side after you PT ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Medical Issues”