Wing Tsung (Chun)

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Wing Tsung (Chun)

Post by Jim »

I thought you were talking about some kind of fast food from China.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Don't know a lot about that style. They are all pretty good, I suppose. That is to say, a dude who has studied Tai Chi for 20 years is not to be trifled with any more than someone who has studied Tae Kwon Do for the same length. I know it is on the harder end of the spectrum.

I would say the most important thing would be to find a studio and sifu that she likes, as there are great differences in how a particular style is taught, depending upon the instructor. Perfect example: I have a friend who teaches Aikido (I believe he is the equivalent of third degree black-belt) He was taking advanced classes at another studio for the summer, and the lead instructor was really hard core. So much so, that my friend stopped going, saying that "He's gonna get someone hurt one of these days..." I know of another cat who left and started his own studio after seeing the same lead instructor open-hand bitch slap a student for doing something wrong.

In the long and short of it.. Shop around. I'm sure in San Antonio you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a decent studio.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Wing Chun (with a good instructor), is probably one of the better "hard", striking arts for women. The legend of it's founding was that it originally developed for a particular woman who had to defend her village. While I haven't practiced it myself, from what I've seen of it, there's more emphasis on speed and flow, than compared to, say, Hung Gar (which I have practiced) which is all about hard blocks and strikes. I would not recommend Hung Gar for women: the women in my class certainly tried, but, with a solitary exception, genuinely didn't have a high enough upper body mass ratio to make it be effective.

More recently, I have been practicing Aikido (I'm about 18 months in), which is a grappling art that is almost entirely finesse-based. From what I've seen so far in Aikido, I would highly recommend it for women, as raw strength isn't required.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Everything flows like water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Usssocom303
BANNED

Post by Usssocom303 »

Wing Chun is incredible at teaching Center-Line importance, and emphasizes hitting your opponent in the groin to sternum to chin to nose area. The kicks are elaborate and are too flashy and vulnerable for a street fight, but the elbow and palm strikes would destroy the average mugger.

As is my sad tendency, I am theoretically an expert in Martial Arts, Military tactics, espionage and UW. However, reading many textbooks on the subjects has not always translated into physical practice. To be fair, I can't chant Islamic prayer with a guy and then kill him when I find out his Imam's name, so some UW and espionage type stuff is live and learn
Last edited by Usssocom303 on September 28th, 2014, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmmm, sounds like a big helo in the back ground heading this way. Almost looks black in color, like a Chinook.
It's getting clo......
Usssocom303
BANNED

Post by Usssocom303 »

CloakAndDagger wrote:Wing Chun (with a good instructor), is probably one of the better "hard", striking arts for women. The legend of it's founding was that it originally developed for a particular woman who had to defend her village. While I haven't practiced it myself, from what I've seen of it, there's more emphasis on speed and flow, than compared to, say, Hung Gar (which I have practiced) which is all about hard blocks and strikes. I would not recommend Hung Gar for women: the women in my class certainly tried, but, with a solitary exception, genuinely didn't have a high enough upper body mass ratio to make it be effective.

More recently, I have been practicing Aikido (I'm about 18 months in), which is a grappling art that is almost entirely finesse-based. From what I've seen so far in Aikido, I would highly recommend it for women, as raw strength isn't required.
Aikido is spectacular for both aggression maneuvering and counter-attack tactics. I have read 5 Aikido textbooks and loved them, but I was practicing Krav Maga at the time so I haven't tried any of the moves I read about.
Hmmm, sounds like a big helo in the back ground heading this way. Almost looks black in color, like a Chinook.
It's getting clo......
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Everybody have fun tonight.

Everybody Wing Chung tonight.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Buy her a taser.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Usssocom303 wrote:(nothing of importance)
It's been awhile since I've logged in, but I just noticed this asshat somehow had time to sent me a PM (in connection with my previous post) before getting banned. Looks like I missed all the fun, and wouldn't even have had time to microwave popcorn, even if I had been online at the time. New record?
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

CloakAndDagger wrote:
Usssocom303 wrote:(nothing of importance)
It's been awhile since I've logged in, but I just noticed this asshat somehow had time to sent me a PM (in connection with my previous post) before getting banned. Looks like I missed all the fun, and wouldn't even have had time to microwave popcorn, even if I had been online at the time. New record?
Yes. The clown shoes were strong on this one.

Now go post an Intro. :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Close Combat”