Ranger earns the 'Ultimate Fighter' title

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Ranger earns the 'Ultimate Fighter' title

Post by Steadfast »

I didn't read in the article where Staff Sgt. Colton Smith is an Army Ranger.
Did you see him in uniform? Have you read a bio (of his military career) of him elsewhere?

I went to the Ft Hood Page and saw identical article. Home of lll Corps Soldiers (googled).

http://www.hood.army.mil
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Been established on rhinoden/rangerup.com Ranger and Sapper.

He fights for Ranger-up like Tim Kennedy. Nick isn't going to allow a poser to rep his brand.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:Been established on rhinoden/rangerup.com Ranger and Sapper.

He fights for Ranger-up like Tim Kennedy. Nick isn't going to allow a poser to rep his brand.

Tough
Tough, that is not the point. Like Jake, I read the post several times. I saw no indication that he was a graduate or served in one of the battalions. Answer the question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You did not address the issue. The initial reference shows a photo of him in uniform he has two tabs above his III Corps patch.

Army Times says:
A wheeled vehicle mechanic for the Chicago-based 708th Medical Company, Magny finished third in the 2010 Army Combatives Championships and has racked up a 7-1 record since turning professional two years ago.
The question in my mind remains, is he a school graduate or did he serve in a Ranger battalion. I have not seen this question answered.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Jim wrote:You did not address the issue. The initial reference shows a photo of him in uniform he has two tabs above his III Corps patch.

Army Times says:
A wheeled vehicle mechanic for the Chicago-based 708th Medical Company, Magny finished third in the 2010 Army Combatives Championships and has racked up a 7-1 record since turning professional two years ago.
The question in my mind remains, is he a school graduate or did he serve in a Ranger battalion. I have not seen this question answered.
OK....wait a minute. Is this a "Tab vs. Batt Boy" thing? Because, if it is it's fucking stupid.

He has been reported to have his Ranger Tab and his Sapper Tab. Have I gone down to Benning and pulled his fucking green card? No.

This report comes from, what in my mind is a reputable source. More than likely if he has his Tab and he's a mechanic he grew up in BN (due to the lack of school slots for soft skill MOS's outside of BN). Maybe he changed his MOS. I don't know him. Maybe you can Email him and ask or you know accuse him of being a poser.

Edited to Add:

http://m.ufc.com/news/Colton-Smith-Expe ... Many-Forms

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/tuf-16-and ... the-house/

Both have claims of Ranger School. Rhino den is Ranger Up's web page. He also has Tim Kennedy (Ranger and SF qualified and a combat vet with 7th group) cornering for him. Tim Kennedy is not likely to support an organization that allows a poser in their ranks also he wouldn't support that person. Niether would Nick Palmiciero (the owner of Ranger Up and sponsor for both fighters) support a poser.

Tough
Last edited by rangertough on December 26th, 2012, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangertough
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:
Jim wrote:You did not address the issue. The initial reference shows a photo of him in uniform he has two tabs above his III Corps patch.

Army Times says:
OK....wait a minute. Is this a "Tab vs. Battle Boy" thing? Because, if it is it's fucking stupid.

He has been reported to have his Ranger Tab and his Sapper Tab. Have I gone down to Benning and pulled his fucking green card? No.

This report comes from, what in my mind is a reputable source. More than likely if he has his Tab and he's a mechanic he grew up in BN (due to the lack of school slots for soft skill MOS's outside of BN). Maybe he changed his MOS. I don't know him. Maybe you can Email him and ask or you know accuse him of being a poser.

Tough
I was not the one who raised the issue. If I write something here, it can be documented. Jake raised a good point. Don't be so sensitive, Tough. Answer the question.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Jim wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Army Times says: The question in my mind remains, is he a school graduate or did he serve in a Ranger battalion. I have not seen this question answered.
OK....wait a minute. Is this a "Tab vs. Battle Boy" thing? Because, if it is it's fucking stupid.

Tough
I was not the one who raised the issue. If I write something here, it can be documented. Jake raised a good point. Don't be so sensitive, Tough. Answer the question.
Kind of felt I had "addressed the issue".

"The initial reference shows a photo of him in uniform he has two tabs above his III Corps patch."

Putting 1+1 together and coming up with "2 tabs" then cross referencing that with two articles that mentioned his Ranger School experience and one that mentioned his Sapper Tab that I pulled up while writing my response on MY PHONE leans me to belive that he's legit especially considering what I know of the sport and the company he is sponsored by. As we tell many of our mentees "The search button is your friend."

I'm not being sensitive. The statement: in regards to my response to the original question was rude and insulting.

If you wanted to know where I came by my assumptions it might help to ask in some other way than accusing me of "not addressing the issue". I don't need to be pampered but a little courtesy?

As far as quoting you specifically Jim, I did that because your post had the two things I was addressing. I admit I was a out of line with the "Tab vs. Batt Boy" thing, I was just hot over being talked to like a private. I haven't slept in a week so that may have something to do with my response as well.

Tough
Rangertough
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

In Rangertough's initial post was good enough for me.
I did not see any reference to the Soldier in the story being a Ranger. It was a good read though.
I did not see any pic of him other than a wrestling pic & could only guess it were him on top.
That is why I asked my questions. I always need help from you professional Rangers.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Steadfast wrote:In Rangertough's initial post was good enough for me.
I did not see any reference to the Soldier in the story being a Ranger. It was a good read though.
I did not see any pic of him other than a wrestling pic & could only guess it were him on top.
That is why I asked my questions. I always need help from you professional Rangers.
Having gotten a full nights sleep I realize that I wasn't exactly "professional" my apologies?

Tough
Rangertough

Return to “Close Combat”