Rangerguru
Ranger

Re: Which Martial Art?

Post by Rangerguru »

My bad.

el·o·quent
Pronunciation: \-kwənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin eloquent-, eloquens, from present participle of eloqui to speak out, from e- + loqui to speak
Date: 14th century
1 : marked by forceful and fluent expression <an eloquent preacher>
2 : vividly or movingly expressive or revealing <an eloquent monument>
— el·o·quent·ly adverb
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
dogface11b
Ranger

Post by dogface11b »

Most guys who go to MMA class and say they are "fighters" are dumbasses. They think that they can train for a few weeks and poof, they are badasses. I started with BJJ, after getting comfortable on the ground, I started boxing. For me the ground game is alot easier, but thats because I had a wrestling background. It all depends on the individual I guess. But seriously, Aikido is for fags.
1/30 INF 3/3 ID 2001'-06

C. Co 2-152 Cav (ABN)(LRSC)-2008-2010

RS Class 05-09
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

chuck976 wrote:Hey Rangers. This summer I am going to have a descent amount of free time before heading off to college next year and I was thinking about getting into a martial art. I have been thinking about it for a while, but I'm not sure which one to try out. I have been thinking about just taking boxing lessons from a small gym in ghetto Covington, KY. I looked on here though and found many many more martial arts that seem like they would be very helpful too (Aikido, Krav Maga, or Ju-Jitsu). I live in Cincinnati, so if anyone knows of a good place I'm all ears.
Go to the boxing gym down the street. Boxing is the traditional American Martial Art. Get in shape, learn how to punch with power, then you can move on to another art like Muay Tai that will teach you effective kicks, elbow and knee strikes, then you can move on to some ground art.

Just get started and keep going till you toughen up. The first phase will have you very sore until your body and mind adapt to the rigors of a good boxing gym.

Post which one you joined and why.

Best Regards,
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Joshua
Veteran: South Africa

Post by Joshua »

Krav Maga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Last thing you will EVER want to do is "go to" or "get taken" to the ground on the street. UFC is fun to watch but that is a "sport" where there are "rules". While it has great street implications, the BJJ/MMA crowd are far from the ultimate street art.

As stated several times here already Boxing is the shit. Key to winning a fight is hit first, hit hard and move out. Once a solid background skill set is achieved in boxing, I'd move on to some training in any of the combatives related arts, Krav Maga being one.

For my money, Kuntao and Silat are the shit. Just absolutely vicious. Born in the streets of several vicious forms. Both facilitate the knife. Can't go wrong.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Well it depends on your goals but my experience is with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Thai boxing, Boxing and Wrestling. I have been training for a little over two years out of Lloyd Irvings: The Lab Mixed Martial Arts in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

I feel for both real life and tournament surroundings having a grasp of both standing and ground work is the best route when discussing self defense or practical situations. I speak from experience when I say when you are attacked in the real world the "attacker" does not always want to throw just punches or just wrestle. But if I had a choice BJJ would be it as the situations I have had thrust upon me I handled with my abilitys in the clinch and on the grounnd as once the attacker realizes your knowledge of striking he typically wants to avoid it which means that distance will be dramatically reduced.
Last edited by Praetorian on July 6th, 2009, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

colt1rgr wrote:Last thing you will EVER want to do is "go to" or "get taken" to the ground on the street. UFC is fun to watch but that is a "sport" where there are "rules". While it has great street implications, the BJJ/MMA crowd are far from the ultimate street art.

As stated several times here already Boxing is the shit. Key to winning a fight is hit first, hit hard and move out. Once a solid background skill set is achieved in boxing, I'd move on to some training in any of the combatives related arts, Krav Maga being one.

For my money, Kuntao and Silat are the shit. Just absolutely vicious. Born in the streets of several vicious forms. Both facilitate the knife. Can't go wrong.
Ranger colt1rgr I agree with you fully but the only thing I want to point out is on the "street" or in a real life practical situation your attacker will not always want to allow the fight to stay standing and 90% of street combat situations do end up on the ground.

But boxing as Ranger colt1rgr pointed out is a great tool to have on your belt.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Praetorian wrote:
colt1rgr wrote:Last thing you will EVER want to do is "go to" or "get taken" to the ground on the street. UFC is fun to watch but that is a "sport" where there are "rules". While it has great street implications, the BJJ/MMA crowd are far from the ultimate street art.

Ranger colt1rgr I agree with you fully but the only thing I want to point out is on the "street" or in a real life practical situation your attacker will not always want to allow the fight to stay standing and 90% of street combat situations do end up on the ground.

Just because you have done some MMA training and you own every Affliction, Tap Out and UFC shirt that you can get your hands on, does not mean that you can give advise on what will save you life in a real fight. As I have said in the past, MMA fighting has rules, and the real world doesn't. Until you have actually had to go hand to hand with somebody that is set on killing you and not just making you tap out, keep your opinions to yourself.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Rangerguru wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

Just because you have done some MMA training and you own every Affliction, Tap Out and UFC shirt that you can get your hands on, does not mean that you can give advise on what will save you life in a real fight. As I have said in the past, MMA fighting has rules, and the real world doesn't. Until you have actually had to go hand to hand with somebody that is set on killing you and not just making you tap out, keep your opinions to yourself.

X2
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangerguru wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

Ranger colt1rgr,

I understand you have seen more life threatening situations than I have or possibly ever will see and to agrue this point would be fruitless and childish. Mixed Martial Arts happens to be an aspect of these forums that I have experience in and out of the ring/mat/cage or whatever venue it may be, I will refrain from providing information to members of this board when there are men such as yourself here already providing advice.

Also I do not own any tapout or UFC gear :mrgreen: but I do own a few "Sprawl" shirts so I guess I can be stoned alive for that one.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Rangerguru wrote:Until you have actually had to go hand to hand with somebody that is set on killing you and not just making you tap out, keep your opinions to yourself.
And how often has that happened to you?

You're seriously insinuating that being fast on your feet, good with strikes, kicks and wrestling is a disadvantage because some dipshit fratboy wants to run around in an affliction shirt?

Having a good mix of BJJ, MT and Boxing sets you up for success no matter what kind of a fight you are in. Praetorian has made some valid points and he's getting a lecture on Krav Maga. If it's so badass and there's so many people in "life or death hand to hand" fights that it's the only tool necessary to win a fight, how come nobody in USMIL is systematically being instructed on it?

To insinuate that one could not use MMA training to defend yourself in a life-threatening situation is beyond common sense. The only thing that keep MMA fighters from seriously injuring each other are the refs who jump in.

As long as Praetorian stays respectful in here, which is advised for anyone here also, he can state his opinions freely.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Praetorian wrote:... 90% of street combat situations do end up on the ground...
Yeah, but it's usually only one man on the ground and he's the guy who was hit first and hardest and most often with a fist to the head.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Nomad wrote:
Rangerguru wrote:Until you have actually had to go hand to hand with somebody that is set on killing you and not just making you tap out, keep your opinions to yourself.
And how often has that happened to you?

You're seriously insinuating that being fast on your feet, good with strikes, kicks and wrestling is a disadvantage because some dipshit fratboy wants to run around in an affliction shirt?

Having a good mix of BJJ, MT and Boxing sets you up for success no matter what kind of a fight you are in. Praetorian has made some valid points and he's getting a lecture on Krav Maga. If it's so badass and there's so many people in "life or death hand to hand" fights that it's the only tool necessary to win a fight, how come nobody in USMIL is systematically being instructed on it?

To insinuate that one could not use MMA training to defend yourself in a life-threatening situation is beyond common sense. The only thing that keep MMA fighters from seriously injuring each other are the refs who jump in.

As long as Praetorian stays respectful in here, which is advised for anyone here also, he can state his opinions freely.
Wow, you sure did read a lot more into what I wrote than what I intended to say.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Let's not forget physical conditioning too. Running out of gas in a fight is not fun!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

panthersix wrote:Let's not forget physical conditioning too. Running out of gas in a fight is not fun!

BTDT :oops:

*ETA*

Praetorian, your posts are not that out of line. Just try to keep in the spirit of the thread and post your experiences instead of "giving advice". You seem to have some experiences that you would like to share. Just try not to be the subject matter expert. You've said yourself that you have only done this for a couple of years. Keep participating, check the "expert advice".
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Close Combat”