Martial arts for young teenage girl

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Martial arts for young teenage girl

Post by Earthpig »

Oto-Man wrote:
EarthPig wrote:As stated, I think Mixed MM is the way to go. If I had to pick one single martial arts style for self defense, it would be Krav Maga, hands down. It's brutal.

RLTW
EP
Krav Maga...for a little girl? Damn EP, that is harsh!! (But I would agree whole heartedly :) :) :) )
No, my pick for a little girl was Tae Kwon Do....even though it's a little gay. My pick for overall defense was Krav Maga. :wink:

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

[quote="EarthPig]No, my pick for a little girl was Tae Kwon Do....even though it's a little gay. My pick for overall defense was Krav Maga. :wink:

RLTW
EP[/quote]

Those two statements I agree with 100%....
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I tried Kung Fu once, but my GF couldn't climax. She said it was like flying solo. So, I switched to a harder style. Now, she very happy. 8) I'm just sayin'.....

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

EarthPig wrote:I tried Kung Fu once, but my GF couldn't climax. She said it was like flying solo. So, I switched to a harder style. Now, she very happy. 8) I'm just sayin'.....

RLTW
EP
"You did not pick the wrong art, you must have picked the wrong hole grasshopper...put the pebble in her ass...and then she WILL KNOW...you are the chosen one...
Drive on warrior..."
~tsun tsu

I am saying not...I am saying just....
8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

TKD is fine for kids and gives you some kicking ability, I did it for four years with the wife and kids. The wife and kids all have their blackbelts, I got to brown and told them that I couldn't afford to pay for another damn Bbelt exam! That and I could give a shit about the 100 forms you had to dance for the final exam. FTW!

I took kickboxing at a gym where the owner trained MMA fighters and it was cool till he got busy and then just gave our class over to some nugget that just played Bas Rutten cd's while we pounded the heavy bags.

I went to a Wing Chun school that is run by a 1/75 Alumni and he runs a good school! He studied under Sifu Edwards out of Fay'ville so that's why I recommended Wing Chun. I don't know that Sifu Edwards trains kids, but I would definitely pull my kids out of TKD and put them in his school if I had the opportunity. The WC I was taught was all TKD defenses and how to use your hands up close. The WC kicks were good for an old man, nothing above the waist.

After all that trial and error, it comes down to the instructor/owner. If the owner is great and has a good personality, then the other instructors will follow that lead. There have been some TKD and other MA instructors convicted of molesting students, so do your homework.

In order to develop the muscle memory through repetition, your kids will have to want to go back! Trust your instincts and if you like the instructor/owner, then give it a shot.

I'd watch out for the year long contracts though. Monthly contracts make more sense.

I think I'm up to a full nickel now!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Oto-Man wrote:
EarthPig wrote:As stated, I think Mixed MM is the way to go. If I had to pick one single martial arts style for self defense, it would be Krav Maga, hands down. It's brutal.

RLTW
EP
Krav Maga...for a little girl? Damn EP, that is harsh!! (But I would agree whole heartedly :) :) :) )
Rangers Oto-Man and Earth Pig, You beat me to it, I have been auditing Krav Maga classes the last 2 months since I'm still getting my health back after my brief hospital stay in November; as soon as I'm 100% I'm looking forward to participating 100% not just when stationary blocking punches and throwing punches like I've been doing.

I have not had any other martial arts instruction but love the fact that one of the instructors (yes she is qualified) is a young, strong 19 year old lady who is an excellent teacher.

Just my 2 cents Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
rakkasan_187
Tadpole

Post by rakkasan_187 »

I'd go for the stubby .38 as well. Hell I have an XD-40 ,just waiting on the state to let me know my CCDW is in. Makes me wonder if they would waiver her age so she can carry!!! :twisted:
OIF 2003, 05-06, 07-08.
A Co. Sappers 3STB 3BDE Rakkasan
101st Airborne Division AASLT
"NE DESIT VIRTUS"

" I didn't train you guys to be pussies. I trained you to kill the motherfucker when he points a weapon at you" COL. Steele, Former Rakkasan Brigade Commander.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Jenny Lynn wrote:
Oto-Man wrote:

RLTW
EP
Rangers Oto-Man and Earth Pig, You beat me to it, I have been auditing Krav Maga classes the last 2 months since I'm still getting my health back after my brief hospital stay in November; as soon as I'm 100% I'm looking forward to participating 100% not just when stationary blocking punches and throwing punches like I've been doing.

I have not had any other martial arts instruction but love the fact that one of the instructors (yes she is qualified) is a young, strong 19 year old lady who is an excellent teacher.

Just my 2 cents Jenny
Not too mention your expertise with "Whip Fu" :lol:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “Close Combat”