Grappling

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Spartan

Grappling

Post by Spartan »

What form of training is it that the Regiment uses for combatives and what role does grappling play in it? Thanks.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

When I was in, 1/75 brought in the Gracie brothers for a two week seminar on their Brazillian Jujitsu. We learned a few cool techniques, but that is about as far as it went.

Personally, I think the idea of easily breaking a man's arm, or whatever, is as cool as the next guy. I just don't like the idea of having to drop my weapon (cause it takes both arms) to do it. Ya know?
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
steelsixzero
Ranger

Post by steelsixzero »

Ditto to what Deathman said. The Gracie bros spent two weeks at 2nd Batt. training a bunch of NCOs who then returned to their platoons to spread the knowledge. I thought the training was pretty good. If you watch the UFCs, it seems like no matter what the fighting style.....the fight always goes to the ground. I'm no martial arts expert but I think grappling was way to go.
2/75 C Co. Wpns Plt 94-98
RGR Class 11-96
Martialboxer
Egg

Post by Martialboxer »

want2race wrote:I agree with the "dropping the weapon because it takes two hands". The marines adopted a style very close to "Gracie", but it's designed to be quicker and more lethal, with less ground fighting.

They taught it in Phase one of the Q.Course. I was almost laughing the whole time because it was "old hat".
I agree it's close. The martial arts program that the Marines has a LOT of Okinawan, Japanese, Korean, and Western influences. BJJ comes from judo.

The thing with martial arts is, that there is no such thing as a superior style technically speaking, just superior training methods and superior fighters. The Gracies are more involved with sport fighting which can relate to real combat but sport fighting is still sport fighting.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

blah blah blah... :roll:
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Last time my son was home he showed me some take down moves and had me choked out in seconds. I am glad he is a good kid, as I know my days of paddling his ass are long gone. His take on the weapon issue is if he has a weapon there is no reason to grapple.
"Dad, these guys don't hate Americans anymore."
DocDaigle

Post by DocDaigle »

steelsixzero wrote:Ditto to what Deathman said. The Gracie bros spent two weeks at 2nd Batt. training a bunch of NCOs who then returned to their platoons to spread the knowledge. I thought the training was pretty good. If you watch the UFCs, it seems like no matter what the fighting style.....the fight always goes to the ground. I'm no martial arts expert but I think grappling was way to go.
A subject very dear to my heart as most of the men I served wit will attest. I was part of the Gracie two week course at First and I thought it was o.k. But, I have been studying combat martial arts for most of my life. I taught Filipino Stick fighting and Knife fighting at Bat. with LTC Keen blessing. He liked it because evry move was a maim or a kill. I great deal of the close quater inside fighting is great under systemns like Cerrada Escrima but not Ju-Jitsu. Yes in a one on one fight on an open space ju-jitsu is cool, but not in the middle of a bar or going into a room. You have to strike first, hard and with accuracy. Ju-Jitsu is not that art. The military should universally adapt a Scars type program or JKD style. Personally and professionally I am fond of the knives and sticks. An easily accessable and lethal weapon that is extremley effective in killing and or disabeling enemies. But then again, I am only a medic :lol:
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I attended 2 different Combatives MTTs. Both were 5 day, 8 hours a day courses (talk about feeling pain at the end of the day). The first was conducted at Benning and the instructors were SSGs L***** and B**** from 2/75. Not that 2/75 could teach 1st imperial Ranger Battalion anything, but I digress. The second course was run at Hunter and we had Marcelo Alonso come down from Washington (gee don’t you just love those 2/75 guys and their high speed ideas) and teach another 5 day 8 hour a day course. After moving to northern Virginia I hooked up with a civilian Brazialian jiu-Jitsu club whose was affiliated with the Royce Gracie jiu-jitsu network. While I am by no means a BJJ expert I do have some experience with it. Now my thoughts on how useful it is in BN. I think it is a very good system to: instill confidence and a killer instinct in young rangers, a good from of PT, a good way to take anger and frustration out on those who out rank you and could possibly be used in handling EPWs (useful for the guard during interrogations, just ask the OPFOR I choked out at JRTC). I personally would not use BJJ as my first lines of defense in a combat situation. I prefer Mr. Sam Colt or when not in reach a good ol pig-sticker and I do always have one or the other with me if not both. If you are using grappling in a combat situation I am asking where is your weapon and more importantly where is your Ranger buddy? I think grappling has its place and can be useful but don’t limit yourself.
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95

Post by Top »

There are a lot of things taught in any military organization that aren't necessarily relevant but are sure good to know. If you're in a SERE situation with no weapon any method of disabling or killing an opponent is handy. I hold a 3rd black belt in Kenpo & Goju Ryu Karate & a 2nd black in judo & presently coach judo & wrestling so you know where my heart is but I still would rather use a 5.56 strike than my bare hands & feet. For any of you distractors of the martial arts & GFT then consider it one more form of PT & one more level of discipline. It sure ain't gonna hurt ya to know it.
Top out.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Top wrote:There are a lot of things taught in any military organization that aren't necessarily relevant but are sure good to know. If you're in a SERE situation with no weapon any method of disabling or killing an opponent is handy. I hold a 3rd black belt in Kenpo & Goju Ryu Karate & a 2nd black in judo & presently coach judo & wrestling so you know where my heart is but I still would rather use a 5.56 strike than my bare hands & feet. For any of you distractors of the martial arts & GFT then consider it one more form of PT & one more level of discipline. It sure ain't gonna hurt ya to know it.
Top out.
TOP, It is customary on this site for all posters to post an introduction. In your case it would be in the veteran's intro section. Let all our members welcome you as is customary here. Thanks TOP.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Honestly, I don't remember the year but when I was standing in the 3rd batt chow line I overheard two high ranking officers commenting on how the BJJ system was the answer for the Rangers BECAUSE IT DID NOT INVOLVE MAIMING/KILLING BUT ONLY TAP-OUT MOVES FOR SAFTEY PURPOSES-Clinton Era. Now that I think of it it was 97'-98' maybe. When I went through RIP, H2H was taught in a very brutal way. In the end, a final bout of " Last man standing was released early to his family at 4am on Graduation day" via Pugil sticks on Sgt. Major's Field(now the new 3rd batt compound). Those that wet through RIP at this time frame may remember this event. This last bout taught us that H2H on a massive scale involved 75%/endurance and 25% luck when it came to survival. I personally learned that myself and most Rangers were worth approximately 5 of a potential enemy in H2H-Those that were lucky! This subject is very sensitive for me because I beleive that basc brutal military H2H is not taught in Batt. anymore. Again for the 5,000th :x time we need to look to the past for an effective H2H system!

Return to “Close Combat”