Martial Arts and kids

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
kahler11
Ranger

Post by kahler11 »

I am with some of the others with Jiu Jitsu being one of the best arts. I like the Brazilian style and have been into it for three years. I started, don't laugh, my daughters in the youngster classes last year. My oldest daughter (11) has kept going...the youngest (6) only last two weeks.

I find it to be the most practical for real world applications. It is an incredible workout, teaches balance, inner strength, and is a great transition to wrestling. My boy (3) is going to start at 5 yoa.

Overall...any art is better than none. It is awesome to see fathers taking an interest in thier kids!

Kahler11
3/75. Aco. 1989-1993

Ranger Class 8-91

With This Shield or On It!!!
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

My son tested for the yellow belt today. The results will be out by Thursday.
He looked good!

At his age as long as an interest remains it’s good.
Last edited by Chiron on January 11th, 2006, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

suasponte666 wrote:Hooah!
Yoah its a judgement call as to how young, as long as he can hold focus and retain discipline. "youll know when he's ready"
All i can really hold to is this! Watch yourself with the discipline you choose
it is in my opinion to choose a discipline that is solely deffensive in posture, till you feel he is ready to become the aggressor in a deffensive situation! because, again in my opinion. he can become unstable and become a menace to the point where you will be hating the day you made the decision to introduce martial arts into his life.
as far as the discipline, i would stay towards a weng tsung chuan style or an aikido. again simply because they are deffensive in posture, there is no mallice intended from these postures. You simply use your opponents movements and aggressions against them. Thus the discipline. It is an inproper movent or attack therefore it can be negated. I would start him of with a wu shu class just for him to understand the discipline and the fudamentals of aggression and repercussion. I for one am a tai Chi disciple, but its hard to find schools in all areas. i was lucky and had a personal sensei!
Now the problem with tai chi is this, you become one with the discipline and therefore are very unawair of your movements (that is why i am telling you to watch yourself).
if he becomes threatened or cornered he may very well hurt someone, very permanent!
we all know (disciples), the actions that we have all taken that could have turned real bad, real fast. in situations that someone touched us in an aggressive yet non threatening way, And we reacted without knowing untill it was too late. then we find ourselves feeling like shit cause we hurt or could have hurt that person. (probably, someone close to us) nuf said. Hooah! good luck on your choice, but remember you are raising a man not a boy!
Hooah!
This is the "THIRD" time you've been told to post an Intro, go do so!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Outstanding Chiron! Please post an update so we know how he did. Great pics too.

I went to check out the American Karate place, and felt pretty comfortable with the Instructor, and Jake seemed to as well. Class looked well run, organized and with a good pace to keep things flowing, but plenty of individual attention as needed. We'll probably start him in January.

Thanks to everyone who replied with feedback. It was very helpful.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Invictus wrote:Outstanding Chiron! Please post an update so we know how he did. Great pics too.

I went to check out the American Karate place, and felt pretty comfortable with the Instructor, and Jake seemed to as well. Class looked well run, organized and with a good pace to keep things flowing, but plenty of individual attention as needed. We'll probably start him in January.

Thanks to everyone who replied with feedback. It was very helpful.
I would say that if the kid (As mine does) respects the instructor then there should be no prblem. I'll post the news when I get it.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Chiron,

Any updates on the belt test?
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Invictus wrote:Chiron,

Any updates on the belt test?
Yes! He got the yellow! Yesterday I watched him in training. There were 5 kids including my son. One blue, one green, two orange and my son.

If you exclude the better reach that the bigger kids have my son was much better than all of them and he has been at this since October.

In June they have the next test and he will go for orange. If all goes well till then maybe he'll test for green the same day.
Last edited by Chiron on January 11th, 2006, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Re: Black Belt Test

Post by Chiron »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:Here is my kid in 1996 getting his Black Belt awarded to him after his 6 + hour test. It was hard to watch him get his ass kicked for such a long time.........
How old was he when he recieved his black belt?
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Yes! He got the yellow!
Outstanding. Congrats to the young stud!
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

The awarding of the yellow his first diploma. In all of Athens for the testing of December my son's "Dojo" was the only one that passed 100% of those tested. The "Master" is good.

RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton

Return to “Close Combat”