Martial Arts and kids

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Invictus
Ranger

Martial Arts and kids

Post by Invictus »

Originally posted this in the Mojo, then realized it would be better suited here..

Thought I'd post this here and solicit some feedback from those with more Martial Arts experience than I. Keep in mind that isn't hard to accomplish, as the extent of my experience was 2 years of Tae Kwon Do as a youngster.

I am thinking of putting my oldest boy (turns 5 in January) into some type of Martial Arts. My goal for him in pursuing this is to learn discipline, confidence, and maybe a little toughness. He's a great kid, and he gets plenty of discipline at home, but I think doing something like this could teach him a lot of things.

My question is this:

1). What is a good age to start a child in Martial Arts?

2). Are there any styles that are better suited to kids?

Thanks for any feedback you have.

I'll hang up and listen...
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

My son at 6. He’s the one with the white belt. His friend started at 5. My opinion is that the sooner you start the better he will be and also more disciplined.

Mine takes Fu jow Pai (kung foo) it’s a question of preference (what he likes). Like any discipline whether it’s sports or martial arts the sooner you start the better and in the beginning let him go at his pace. Don’t push to hard otherwise it becomes a pain for him rather than something he enjoys and becomes the best at.

Last edited by Chiron on January 11th, 2006, 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Thanks for the words of wisdom Chiron. Your post in the picture thread is what prompted me to ask here.

I'm not very clear on what different disciplines offer, but I'm sure a little research can clear that up.

Thanks again.
SmileyTFJ

Re: Martial Arts and kids

Post by SmileyTFJ »

Invictus wrote:1). What is a good age to start a child in Martial Arts?
Ranger Invictus,
My Daughter started Karate in August, a few months before she turned five. The sensei will take children starting at 4 if they are able to maintain focus and follow instructions in the class.

In these few months her self discipline has improved quite dramatically. She is more confident in and better able to control her body which is helping her do even better in her other activities (swimming and gymnastics).

I do not know which type of martial arts is better. This particular program came highly recommended. I look forward to her first "tournament" in two weeks.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I have a ten year old and an eleven year old boy, who are both working towards their Purple Belts. They study a mixed martial arts style, called Kaju Bujutsu Kwai, which includes techniques from Kung Fu, Judo, Aikido, Kenpo, and several other styles, along with eight weapons. I actually take the classes with them, to keep them interested and motivated. We attend three 2- hr classes each week.

If you can keep your kids interested in it long enough to show some progress and to reap a few rewards, it can really be neat to watch their growth: mentally, physicaaly, and spiritually. It has become a part of their lives, just like soccer, homework, and GameBoy.

I think it's probably more important to find a good instructor/good dojo, than worry about the style. As we've learned in the mixed arts, all of the styles are useful.....it's the instructor/dojo that makes a good martial artist.

RLTW
EP
Last edited by Earthpig on January 31st, 2006, 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Stay away from belt factories. I spoke to my son’s master, as my son will test for the yellow in 10 days. When he said, “so what if he doesn’t make it this timeâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Re: Martial Arts and kids

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Invictus wrote:
2). Are there any styles that are better suited to kids?
Ranger Invictus,

While my knowledge isn't broad enough to tell you a style that is well suited to kids, I would not recommend Hung Ga(r) Kung Fu for children. The teaching philosophy is fine--lots of application, no belts--but it's generally a "hard" style (more "block anything", less "get out of the way") and tends to favor someone who is at least 130 lbs (my experience in sparing).

On the other hand, I think it shares a fair amount of techniques with Fu Jow Pai ("Tiger Claw"), which Ranger Chiron's son takes.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Going to observe a practice for a place that teaches "American Karate", anyone familiar with this one? Said it's a mix of Aikido and Karate. As Smiley indicated, he said he has to test them before they will be allowed to start.

I was really looking for an Aikido place, but the closest one seems to be in Dallas, which is too far to drive.
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

My six year old has been taking violin lessons for three years and plays quite well now. The cost of lessons is an issue, as is the amount of time parents need to spend being taxi drivers. I'm considering some sort of H2H training starting in a couple of years. Right now he's MUCH too skittery... can't really stay still long, and following instructions :roll:

LOL... perhaps he just doesn't listen to PARENTS
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

What I feared most was that my son would not take to it. Some do and some don’t. Others learn to accept it later do to pear pressure. I accept that some are not built to the mentality and will never be able to do it. They will do what they like anyway in the end. I have an understanding with my son; he is in martial arts because he likes it. The day he has a change of heart he stops. I’m not forcing him to do something he doesn’t want. I just want him to be good at what he does whatever that is.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton

Return to “Close Combat”