Introduction- Justin (questions)

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Jstein76
Embryo

Introduction- Justin (questions)

Post by Jstein76 »

Hello Rangers

My name is Justin and I just turned 17 in June, I am currently in high school and about to start my 12th year this month. I am not in any sports and have never been in any sports but if my school offered track I would definitely have done that.

My short term goal: be prepared and physically ready/ capable for Pre RASP and RASP itself.
Long term goal: Be a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

Around a few months ago I decided that I want to be apart of the 75th Ranger Regiment.
regrettably I am far behind compared to the other folks interested in joining the 75th that I have seen on this forum, I have a ton of questions regarding how I should be training and preparing. I know I need to focus/target pushups , sit-ups , pullups ,running, rucking and probably strength training but the problem is I'm not sure if there is specifically something I should be following or doing such as a certain workout routine that you Rangers recommend ? Or for rucking is there a certain type of rucksack and boots that are recommended that are affordable?

My PT Progress:
My Pt is terrible...my pushups in two minuets are around 30/40, my fastest one mile is 11:17 that alone can tell you that my 2 mile needs heavy improvement . My pullups are pretty bad and I can only get to 5 ( I'm using a home pullup bar mounted on a door frame and I make sure that my feet on not touching the ground and I let my arms extend all the way until they are in a straight vertical line . My sit-ups are alright , I can do round 50 of them. When I'm doing a sit-up is it alright to have something holding my feet down? I find it much easier when my feet are held down my someone or something although I'm not sure if they will allow that in the Military/ Pre RASP.

How Long I've been training: So far I have barely trained since (regrettably) I have been doing night runs for a week or two and I have gone from 13 min 1 mile time to 11:17 one mile time . I just recently started trying to improve my pushups specifically focusing on form so that I do a proper formed pushups where I have my arms close to my sides and my hands are placed on the ground so they are practically aligned with my shoulders and when I go down my upper arm is horizontal to my body.

Questions:
1. Is it wise to try and enlist at 18 with a Option 40 contract ? I plan on being physically capable to pass pre RASP by the time I'm 18 in the 6th of June if that is even possible at my current standard. I have also heard that some people have had to wait a whole year to get a Option 40 .

2. Do you have any tips/methods that will help me improve my PT score ? any recommended workout routine that I could do?

3. For ruck training which I plan on doing I am stuck on what rucksack and what Boots I should get so if you Rangers have any recommendations or tips regarding rucking I'd greatly appreciate it.

4. Would there be any benefit in talking to a recruiter now? I keep on getting told by other civilians who have never served in the military and don't even really know about the 75th Ranger regiment but they keep on insisting that I should go talk to a recruiter for some reason (there is one that comes to my school) . I personally don't see how it would help me unless there is some type of magical training program that the recruiter could get me into which I highly doubt exist.

My apologies If I have improperly pronounced a title or unit and sorry for such a long post. Hopefully I didn't ask a lot of dumb questions but I suppose It's to be expected from me since I lack a lot a good amount of information. I will try my best to respond to any replies .

Thank You.
Jstein76
Embryo

Re: Introduction- Justin (questions)

Post by Jstein76 »

wazzle wrote: July 20th, 2021, 12:08 pm Welcome to the forum Justin!
My oldest son was in the last portion of OSUT for infantry. A message came out from the RIP program mentioning that there were a few open spots to go the RIP and join the 75th Ranger Regiment. He went to RIP and ended up in the 3rd Bat. He was 18, right out of high school.
My youngest son enlisted after high school and did get the Opt 40 contract with a bonus payment. He graduated RIP and also ended up in the 3rd Bat, joining his brother.
Thank you for replying Wazzle.

Sorry for not responding for a while, I forgot my password and have been very occupied with school and work. Out of curiosity how fit were your sons when they enlisted? I keep getting told multiple things such as I should wait until I'm like 20/22 years old and when I'm more physically fit because of how "guys going in isn't the rule but a exception" makes sense I suppose but I would like some opinions from former or active members of the 75th Ranger Regiment . Or that I can enlist at a regular fitness level and train all through basic, AIT etc and by the time I'm at Pre RASP I'll be physically ready? Are any of these true?

Because of my job it has become slightly hard to figure out a workout routine but thankfully I have discovered a few that will hopefully help me out within my small amount of time such as a running program from a website called "performance first" here's the link if anyone is interested in checking it out https://www.performancefirstus.com/ . I unfortunately only have around a year to prepare because of personal reasons such as my mom moving.

thanks again and I will try to reply as much as possible.
Jstein76
Embryo

Post by Jstein76 »

Hello Rangers

This is a small update from my original Introduction.

I am currently working with recruiters and studying/taking the ASVAB.

Fitness wise I have made improvements but not nearly as much as I should have been making.I am currently following Programs/routines to get physically on track and in shape.

I plan on Enlisting after graduating Highschool and will continue to make updates.

Thank You
Jstein76
Embryo

Post by Jstein76 »

Hello Rangers;

After 8 months of dealing with meps and paper work I have finally enlisted yesterday September 15th.

It’s been a somewhat long journey trying to enlist and I’ve been hit with a good amount of setbacks which unfortunately prevent me from getting an option 40 contract or volunteering at OSUT/AIT.

My waiver got approved and I’m now enlisted as a 11X. I didn’t manage to get a airborne slot because 1; they just didn’t have any at all and 2; I can’t get a slot because of my medical waiver .

I could’ve rejected to enlisting Thursday but I decided to go ahead and enlist since even if I asked for a ETP, getting it approved could take a month and add the time I’d have to wait for a airborne slot. Not to mention how there’s a chance the ETP gets denied . Weird thing is I can still volunteer for airborne at OSUT.

I ship out on the 27th this month , have a 40k bonus so not too bad at all. I’m going to try and volunteer for airborne at OSUT since I’d rather be in a airborne unit then a leg unit while trying to get to RASP but if I can’t get a slot even at OSUT then it won’t be the end of the world , I’ll still keep pushing .

I also will be shipping as a E2 instead of a E1 thanks to my recruiter. If I’m lucky that’ll somewhat help me get to schools since I won’t be a E1, although still a private .

So yes, I will have to go to a big army unit and then I will have to try and get a RASP slot . I’ve been talking to lots of folks in similar situations and they were able to get everything worked out and were able to go to SFAS or RASP within 5 to 8 months at their unit .

Overall I just need to make sure I’m putting in work at my unit , being respectful and so on and I’m certain they’ll help me get to RASP.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”