Introduction - Back Again

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Drummer20
Egg

Introduction - Back Again

Post by Drummer20 »

Good afternoon,

I was heavily active on this forum back in 2011 when I first attempted to enlist with an 11x Opt. 40 contract. I was a dumbass, however, and put the "wrong" things on my medical paperwork, diverting to the officer route after pursuing a medical waiver for three years. I've been serving as an Infantry officer for almost four years, earning my Ranger tab in Class 3-18. I've served in the 82nd for the past three years, including a deployment to Afghanistan, where I had some combat experience.

The reason I came back to the forum is because I'm at a crossroads of continuing service as an officer and going to MCCC, or resigning my commission and pursuing my dream of service in the Ranger Regiment on the enlisted side. I have had a strong desire to serve my country in the Army's premier direct action unit for over 15 years. I see the unit as highly disciplined, well-trained, and actively engaging in closing with and destroying the enemy. I saw in Afghanistan how the Rangers always received the best missions and priority for assets when other units' ops would roll, and it sparked that desire again in a path I thought had all but closed.

I've been talking to my branch manager, my chain of command, and will be talking to the 75th recruiter, but I also wanted to ask for advice on this side. So far, the path is do-able, but I haven't had any leads on officers who successfully made the transition. Are there any members here who could provide first or second hand advice to this route? Perspectives on pros and cons for doing this route would also be appreciated!

Look forward to again being active in the forums!

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction - Back Again

Post by KW Driver »

This place is a lot quieter these days. The closest comparison I can think of is Os transitioning to Warrant Aviation. I can’t think of any O to Es since before Vietnam.

Good luck with it though, if that’s what you want.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Back Again

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome back to the site, Drummer20.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”