Introduction

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome to the site, you set before you a very lofty goal, but it is a goal that can be achieved with the right attitude. Stay strong, give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dwelt, what are you doing to prepare yourself for RASP?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here.

My son was interested in CI but apparently there is an age restriction for the MOS (he is turning 17 this week, hoping to be a DEP.)

Back in the mid 80's we had one CI agent (I think back then it was 95B ?) and a CI warrant officer. Both good guys, the CI agent had re-classed from 11B and was in Grenada with 1/75. The CI warrant officer was an interesting guy, had a medal for catching an East German spy before he got to Regiment S-2. He started the Regiment soccer team while I was there.

Good luck to you.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Dwelt
Paratrooper

Post by Dwelt »

Rangers, for some reason I wasn't getting emails about my account activity, strange. But I've been here, lurking in the shadows...

Ranger Jim,
My PT plan is:
AM workout- Strongman/general strength program ending with Pushups/Situps and a 1.5 mile run in boots.
PM workout- Pushups/Situps and I alternate between running and rucking of different lengths and speeds, but always rucking 60lbs

My running/rucking and APFT work is based off my MilitaryAthlete.com subscription.

My strength program is from the trainer that I keep in contact with who worked on the 10th Group Compound when I was stationed there.

But the important stuff is absorbing the knowledge from the Ranger handbook and lurking on the site. There are also some tabbed guys (and one scroll) in my MID so I'm always asking them questions about general infantry techniques and Ranger specific experiences.

Ranger IntelToad,
I really enjoy CI, it jives with me. In the 80s, were the CI guys confined to the 2, or were they allowed to go out and collect? I've heard conflicting answers about how it is now.

Given the 75th's mission and need to "weaponize" all MOS's in the Regiment, if I want to be the best and give back to Mother Army and the Rangers, I NEED to be in the 75th.

When he hits 21 I can have a recruiting brief with him and see if being an Agent is what he still wants to do. What MOS did you have when you were in?
Airborne!

~Spooky~

Deny everything
Admit nothing
Make counter accusations
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Back then the CI Rangers pretty much lived in the SCIF. They did a ton of clearance work because Regiment was pretty new and they were filling slots left and right. They also did some security work in terms of making sure we properly destroyed classified material.

I was a 96B back then (they call it 35F now.) My son is trying to get an intel related Option 40, but he has had zero luck with his recruiter. He smoked the ASVAB and is taking his physical next week so fingers crossed.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Dwelt
Paratrooper

Post by Dwelt »

Thats pretty much what we still do.

Some people compare us to the "party officer" that the Soviet Union used to have.
idk if thats a good or bad thing. I don't really care, to be honest.
My main goal is to make sure our boys are safe and no one becomes a widow.

At an unclass level, CI has evolved into more of a collection/development role while in a tactical unit, which is clutch, because it allows us to be on the ground and see what the boys see.

The intel world is fantastic (as you know). Especially being in more of an "expeditionary" MOS.
I've been told that 35M is usually the route for most CI, but you dont need it.

When you were in, did they allow you guys to go to MOS specific courses? Or was the optempo too high in the 80s?
Airborne!

~Spooky~

Deny everything
Admit nothing
Make counter accusations
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

It wasn't so much courses as it was TDY to some well known, and lesser known, military and civilian intelligence entities.

We had very proactive leadership in terms of getting us as much experience as possible in all kinds of different places, tactical through strategic. I can't even imagine what they are doing now.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dwelt, Have you been accepted for the 75th Ranger Regiment, and do you have a report date for RASP yet?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Dwelt
Paratrooper

Post by Dwelt »

Ranger Jim,

I’ve been in contact with the Regimental recruiter and some members of the RMIB CI/HUMINT team. I’ll be eligible to submit my packet this upcoming may (20180521) and then wait for acceptance.

The RASP 1 info guide said OCONUS soldier have to wait until DEROS to attend TDY in route to RASP, so that’s me.

I’ve been following the 6 week RASP on-ramp PT plan on militaryathlete.com. In addition to doing traditional gym workouts focusing on leg strength and shoulder durability.

I’m around a ton of combat arms guys in Italy and I pick their brain whenever I get the chance....I target the ones with tabs and scrolls especially.

A lot of the former Bat boys have told me the RASP cadre won’t push my shit in as much as the privates because I’m an NCO. That doesn’t sit too well with me.

I want to suck and earn my scroll there on the sweat soaked killing fields of Ft Benning just all the other boys...ESPECIALLY because I’m an NCO. I know I’ll be evaluated on my leadership as well as all of my Ranger tasks and I want to hone my ability to lead in the Regiment.
Airborne!

~Spooky~

Deny everything
Admit nothing
Make counter accusations
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

There will be plenty of suck to go around, don't worry.

Sounds like you are still driving on towards your goal, good luck and keep us updated.

Ranger Jim passed away recently. He was a good man and an example for all of us to follow.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Dwelt
Paratrooper

Post by Dwelt »

Ranger IntelToad,

I’m sorry to hear that, i know he was an institution on this site. It comes as a a shock as I heard from him less than a year ago.

I’m excited about going, I’ve been scouring the site for recent RASP experiences and stories... I’ve always been looking for an updated packing list.

Being OCONUS I’ll want to get my stuff in order earlier than someone stateside, considering the amount of time the mail takes to get here.

I’m also searching for the academic requirements for RASP. For example, the Airborne Ranger in the Sky requirements and the study points of Ranger History.
Airborne!

~Spooky~

Deny everything
Admit nothing
Make counter accusations

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”