Introduction-Mike

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Introduction-Mike

Post by Scrawnyguy » February 15th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Good evening Rangers,

My name is Mike and I am a prior service SSG. I served from 99-05 in the Reserves before jumping into the AGR program, where I served until 14. During that time I served with the 308th PsyOp Co, Columbus Recruiting Co, 447th MP Co, and 319th ESB. That time included a couple deployments (3 if you count Kuwait). I left the Army in order to obtain the prerequisites to apply the the Army's Doctorate of Physical Therapy program at Ft Sam. I'll find in a couple of weeks if I get in. After graduating from the program I would eventually like to serve in the Regiment as a Regimental PT. I know Ranger 65Bs are few and far between, but I'm hoping I can find at least a couple.

VR,
Mike

Silverback
Ranger

Re: Introduction-Mike

Post by Silverback » February 15th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Welcome and good luck. Are you applying for an AMED scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV » February 15th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Welcome to the site, Mike.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim » February 16th, 2016, 9:16 am

Welcome Mike. Please tell us more about yourself.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » February 16th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Thank you!

@Ranger Silverback-Negative, I won't be on an AMEDD scholarship. I would be attending the Army-Baylor DPT program in AD status. I would head down there in the fall as a direct commission and attend BOLC, then start the PT program in January of next year. It's a pretty cool program. Not only is the schooling paid for, but I would be on active duty the whole time, starting as an O-1E with regular promotions. The program is completed at the AMEDD school at Ft Sam. The degree is granted through Baylor, but the faculty is comprised almost entirely of green suiters (mostly LTCs with PhDs or other alphabet soup behind their names) who have been given faculty appts by the school. I'll do a year and change in classroom coursework at Ft Sam, followed by a year of a clinical internship in the San Antonio area or Ft Hood. After I graduate I head out into big Army as a PT. At some point almost all PTs do some time as a BCT PT or in the case of the Rangers a Regimental PT. I'm definitely aiming for a spot as a Regimental PT. You all know better than anyone that being a Ranger can be rough on the body. I want to do my part to lessen this damage. A healthier force is good in the short term as far as mission readiness goes, but also in the long term when it comes to quality of life later in your career and life in general. Like all Rangers, I firmly believe that Ranger PTs lead the way as far as our profession goes.

Here's a link to the program in case anyone is curious:
http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/

I've been checking out these forums for a while and there is a wealth of knowledge on here. I look forward to learning more.

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » February 16th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Jim wrote:Welcome Mike. Please tell us more about yourself.
Not sure where to start. I'm originally from Kansas City, but I'm living on the west coast now. I joined the Reserves while still in high school. After basic and AIT I went to college for a bit, then 9/11 happened and things obviously changed. My unit was activated and I eventually ended up in Iraq. When I came home college didn't seem all that important anymore and I ended up heading into the AGR program. After 9 more years including stints in AFG and Kuwait I decided to leave the service. I wanted to apply to the PT program, but I lacked many of the prerequisite science courses. I tried to take them while I was still in, but mission comes first of course and I kept having to cancel or miss classes. I decided to take the risk of getting out completely (knowing that I might now be able to get back in) and knock out my coursework. I completed my coursework last spring and submitted my application in the fall of last year. The board meets next week. It's not guarantee I will get in, but I like my chances. I busted my tail in school and did pretty well. I also have a decade plus of military experience under my belt. I think that will come in handy when going up against a bunch of kids off the street with barely a hair on their chest. I loved being an NCO and I hate that I have to go to the dark side (no offense to the officers on here, you're cool with me), but I'm excited to put the uniform on again. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do.

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd » February 16th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Welcome Mike, it sounds like you've put a lot of work into getting where you want to be, that shows a lot about your character. There are a lot of Officers here that can help give you some advice. How are you APFT scores to include pull-ups?
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » February 16th, 2016, 9:53 pm

rangerjd wrote:Welcome Mike, it sounds like you've put a lot of work into getting where you want to be, that shows a lot about your character. There are a lot of Officers here that can help give you some advice. How are you APFT scores to include pull-ups?
Thanks Ranger JD. It's definitely been tough at times, but I know in the end it'll be worth it. On top of the courses I also had to gain volunteer hours at a military PT clinic (it wasn't required but it was STRONGLY suggested). You'd be surprised on how hard it can be to volunteer on post when you are no longer an ID card holder. It took months of wheeling and dealing to convince the folks at Ft Carson to let me volunteer. After they agreed I had to commute an hour and a half to two hours each way a few times a month to get there. After all of that PT school might feel like a breeze.

Admittedly my fitness level isn't the best right now. I could pass an APFT, but I wouldn't blow it away. When I first ETS'ed I lived near an old Army buddy who had a pretty nice gym setup and we would work out together pretty regularly to push each other. My wife and I moved back to California last fall to be closer to her family and since then my workouts have been more sporadic. I've been hitting it hard lately though. I'm usually in the gym and/or running 5-6 days a week with 2-3 days geared towards APFT specific training. I have a program from Military Athlete that is specifically designed to help people max the APFT that I'm going to use when I get a little closer to my BOLC date. I think I can get back to a 300 by then. I haven't been incorporating pull-ups into my workouts, but I will definitely start doing so.

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd » February 16th, 2016, 10:07 pm

You should check out some of the fitness thread on here, there is a wealth of information. They will not only get you ready for the APFT , but also ready for Regiment, there is a difference. Ft Carson is a beautiful area, I go there once a year to visit my daughter and son-in-law who are stationed there.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » February 17th, 2016, 10:23 am

rangerjd wrote:You should check out some of the fitness thread on here, there is a wealth of information. They will not only get you ready for the APFT , but also ready for Regiment, there is a difference. Ft Carson is a beautiful area, I go there once a year to visit my daughter and son-in-law who are stationed there.
I'll definitely check out those fitness threads. Let's just say I'll me slightly more advanced in the age category than the typical person heading into the Regiment so I need all the help I can can. Luckily I've been pretty injury free thus far. My wife is a dietitian which helps me with the diet stuff as well. I know I need to start rucking again. I haven't had a ruck on my back since I lost a toe nail after a GoRuck Challenge last summer. Hiking season is coming up anyhow so I need to start humping it more often or I'll be sucking on the trails this summer.

I'm not sure what to expect at AMEDD BOLC as far as PT goes. I imagine there will be a lot of direct commissions who have never done more than a Zumba class before. I know that during the physical therapy program PT is pretty much on our own other than APFTs and the occasional "fun run". I'm hoping that kind of flexibility will play into my favor though, as it will allow me to tailor my PT program.

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » March 9th, 2016, 9:36 am

UPDATE-I was accepted into DPT program earlier this week, pending physical. The physical unfortunately isn't a sure thing. I know back in the day you could keep your mouth shut at MEPS and drive on. Now that we are in the age of electronic health records some of those old injuries might come back to bite me in the arse. The biggest issue I may have is I was diagnosed with gastritis after catching H Pylori on my last deployment. If they classify it as chronic gastritis I could be PDQ'ed. I sent all of my old med docs over the recruiter earlier this week so I'm hoping I can get thumbs up to take the physical and be fully greenlit by the end of next week. Wish me luck!

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim » March 16th, 2016, 6:48 am

Scrawnyguy wrote:UPDATE-I was accepted into DPT program earlier this week, pending physical. The physical unfortunately isn't a sure thing. I know back in the day you could keep your mouth shut at MEPS and drive on. Now that we are in the age of electronic health records some of those old injuries might come back to bite me in the arse. The biggest issue I may have is I was diagnosed with gastritis after catching H Pylori on my last deployment. If they classify it as chronic gastritis I could be PDQ'ed. I sent all of my old med docs over the recruiter earlier this week so I'm hoping I can get thumbs up to take the physical and be fully greenlit by the end of next week. Wish me luck!
Excellent. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » June 9th, 2016, 3:12 pm

They finally let me take the physical a couple weeks back. It took more than 3 months to get approval to take the damn thing. All the non-prior service folks knocked their stuff knocked out months ago. I was actually getting a little worried that I was going to get booted from the program and replaced by some pup because things were taking so long. Oh well, at least it's done. As long as nothing else pops up I'll head off to BOLC in September. Time to start ratcheting up my PT. I want to be scoring 100s across the board before the end of the year.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim » June 16th, 2016, 7:51 am

Scrawnyguy wrote:They finally let me take the physical a couple weeks back. It took more than 3 months to get approval to take the damn thing. All the non-prior service folks knocked their stuff knocked out months ago. I was actually getting a little worried that I was going to get booted from the program and replaced by some pup because things were taking so long. Oh well, at least it's done. As long as nothing else pops up I'll head off to BOLC in September. Time to start ratcheting up my PT. I want to be scoring 100s across the board before the end of the year.
Good SITREP. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Scrawnyguy
Embryo

Post by Scrawnyguy » August 6th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Finally got my orders this week so everything is pretty much official. I've been PTing my ass off and I think it's starting to pay off. I hate to admit that I really let my fitness slide during my break in service and I was in much worse shape than I initially thought. I'm slowing getting it back though. I have about a month to go before I report so I still have a little time to whip my ass into shape.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”