Introduction. Gomes.

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Bro-monger
Paratrooper

Introduction. Gomes.

Post by Bro-monger »

Hello Rangers, I'm PVT Gomes. I joined the army last year after deciding to leave my unrewarding and monotonous job as a banker. I've always somewhat known I was going to be a soldier. It always felt like my calling. The discipline and the competition all around you. Men with a similar mindset of always wanting to push the limits. Past boundaries you thought were there, physical and mental. Anyways, I entered basic training September 11th, 2015. Graduated as the honor graduate of my company. I was told it was due to: a PT score of around 330 on the extended scale. 97 push ups, 82 sit ups, 11:50 2 mile. Shot a 38/40. And showed good leadership potential. Midway through basic I earned an airborne contract, 1 week into airborne I talked to a ranger liaison and was given the honor of volunteering for RASP. 2 more weeks until I finish airborne. My dream is to become a Ranger and serve with the best the army has to offer. My MOS is an 11C, unfortunately not a bravo like most of my company thought we would be coming in as an 11X.

If I am required to input more information, tell me so. Brand new to this site, but I'm glad I found this.
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Introduction. Gomes.

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here and good luck moving forward.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Gomes, by now you ought to be starting Jump Week. Please let us know how you are doing. You can expect to be in pre-RASP for a while. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bro-monger
Paratrooper

Post by Bro-monger »

Much appreciated IntelToad!

Jim, airborne school has been interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be this easy, but you're right. Jump week starts this Monday. Depending on how the weather holds up, it is planned that we finish by Wednesday. As for pre-rasp, how long would you guess? The more time I have, the better. More days to take my PT level and studies to another level.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, PVT Gomes.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Gomes, by now BAC should be complete. When do you begin RASP? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bro-monger
Paratrooper

Post by Bro-monger »

Jim, getting back to you late. Graduated airborne school on Saturday. There was a mix up with my packet and 2 others. At first we were just going to be stationed at Bragg. This morning, before we got on the buses, we received our orders. It stated we are indeed going to RASP on March 20. So I will be a holdover here until then. I'm excited for what is to come and the challenges. I have no idea what to expect from pre RASP though, haven't heard much.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great job on completing Airborne School, now comes the fun part. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Gomes, how is -pre-RASP going for you? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

PVT Gomes, why in the hell would you say that you are "unfortunately" an 11C? I was an 11C for 15 years and I. Loved. It.

You get to do everything an 11B does AND you get to shoot mortars. Where's the problem? Ask anyone out there, being an 11C in Regiment is one of the hardest things you will ever do. I met a couple of Regimental LNO's to 7th SFG(A) where I am currently a Senior Counterintelligence Sergeant. When I mentioned that I had been in the 1/75 Mortar platoon back in the day, they shook my hand because "being a mortar in Regiment is some hard shit."

Will it suck? Yes. Will you carry heavier shit than just about everyone else? Yes. Will you get shit from 11Bs? Yes. Will they respect you anyway? Yes. I knew a TL in A co who used to threaten his privates with two weeks in BN Mortars if they didn't shape up because the mortars were the meanest, craziest, sickest platoon in the BN. That reputation was a badge of honor.

Even the short amount of time (2 years) I spent there was THE formative period in the Army for me. A time when I was pushed beyond the limits of anything I thought possible; when I had a pride of purpose and sense of belonging I have rarely experienced since. I left because of a life-long desire to live in Europe and I had a good time there, but my time in BN was the best time of my life (aside from combat).

If none of that makes any sense to you, keep bemoaning your fate and wishing you were a rifleman. Otherwise, embrace your role. Own it and realize that you are a member of a much smaller and tighter knit group within an already small and tightly knit community.

You'll be much happier when you do.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote:PVT Gomes, why in the hell would you say that you are "unfortunately" an 11C? I was an 11C for 15 years and I. Loved. It.

You get to do everything an 11B does AND you get to shoot mortars. Where's the problem? Ask anyone out there, being an 11C in Regiment is one of the hardest things you will ever do. I met a couple of Regimental LNO's to 7th SFG(A) where I am currently a Senior Counterintelligence Sergeant. When I mentioned that I had been in the 1/75 Mortar platoon back in the day, they shook my hand because "being a mortar in Regiment is some hard shit."

Will it suck? Yes. Will you carry heavier shit than just about everyone else? Yes. Will you get shit from 11Bs? Yes. Will they respect you anyway? Yes. I knew a TL in A co who used to threaten his privates with two weeks in BN Mortars if they didn't shape up because the mortars were the meanest, craziest, sickest platoon in the BN. That reputation was a badge of honor.

Even the short amount of time (2 years) I spent there was THE formative period in the Army for me. A time when I was pushed beyond the limits of anything I thought possible; when I had a pride of purpose and sense of belonging I have rarely experienced since. I left because of a life-long desire to live in Europe and I had a good time there, but my time in BN was the best time of my life (aside from combat).

If none of that makes any sense to you, keep bemoaning your fate and wishing you were a rifleman. Otherwise, embrace your role. Own it and realize that you are a member of a much smaller and tighter knit group within an already small and tightly knit community.

You'll be much happier when you do.
This, I was both, and I loved 11C the most.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I can't edit, but I was referring to being both 11B and C.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Gomes, where have you been? Have you withdrawn already?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bro-monger
Paratrooper

Post by Bro-monger »

Jim, I am still in pre-RASP. Not much to do during the duty day. Just details here and there with opportunities to learn from the cadre. After the day is over with I usually go to Smith gym for a solid workout. Typically at night is the time I use to study up on Ranger history. It won't be another month until they class us up to RASP1. I'm looking forward to the challenge, with the goal to earn the tan beret and to be a part of Regiment.

Mortar_guy78 : I didn't mean to come off as if I was complaining. That is unlike me at all. I've already accepted the fact that my MOS is 11C and will perform to the best of my abilities and then some. I like the fact that we carry heavier equipment and have a smaller community. Every single point you stated is correct. Really wanted to say thank you for your words and advice mortar_guy78, I should have worded that differently. Especially since I'm brand new in the army.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bro-monger wrote:Jim, I am still in pre-RASP. Not much to do during the duty day. Just details here and there with opportunities to learn from the cadre. After the day is over with I usually go to Smith gym for a solid workout. Typically at night is the time I use to study up on Ranger history. It won't be another month until they class us up to RASP1. I'm looking forward to the challenge, with the goal to earn the tan beret and to be a part of Regiment.
Good update, Gomes. Pleased keep us up-dated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”