Intro - ncgater

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
ncgater
Ranger Dad

Intro - ncgater

Post by ncgater »

Hey folks. Special shout out to Ranger Jim!

First off, I am an Army Veteran. Served from 1982-86 as an 82B. The MOS is defunk now but it was awesome while I was in, Construction Surveyor. After basic at Ft. Dix, I went to Ft. Belvoir for AIT. Yeah, I told you it was awesome. My first duty station was Ft. Stewart from April '83 to Oct. '84. When you enter Ft. Stewart from Hinesville you will see three tracked vehicles on display. Examine what they sit on. Yeah, I helped build that. I served in the 92nd Engineer Battalion, HHC, in the S3. Glory Through Achievement!

After Ft. Stewart, I did a tour in Germany. From '84 thru '86 I was with the 9th Combat Engineer Battalion in Aschaffenburg Deutschland. Being in a Combat Engineer battalion, the work was not nearly so great but Germany and Europe were awesome. I learned to ski in the Alps, drove to Spain for vacation and learned to hang glide in Berchtesgaden all with a bunch of help from the Army. I served Honorably and was discharged in Oct 1986 as an E-5.

After the Army, I went to college (Go Gators) and earned an engineering degree. I am proud of my time in service. Very proud. I can go on about this endlessly. Regardless of the reason for entering the service, if you complete your service in an honorable fashion, you should be proud. In civilian life I have learned there are a lot of talkers out there, but few who put words to deeds. You don't need to be a hero but serve with honor. Active Army and vets, be proud!

Second, I am an (prospective) Ranger parent. Maybe it was something I said or did but my son in an 11B, with option 40. Cole Range concluded this past Friday and well, I am still a prospective Ranger parent. I am very proud on my son, what he has accomplished so far. Black Monday awaits but I am hopeful that he will find the path that is best for him.

I can go on and on about my service and offer advice to prospective service members and parents based on my experience but I cannot offer advice about being a Ranger. I have told my son, he has far exceeded what I was capable of at his age. I am in awe about what he has accomplished.

Anyway, I have babbled enough. Rangers lead the way!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - ncgater

Post by Jim »

Welcome proud Parent! This RASP class had a brutal Cole Ranger. Class started with 180; down to 96. We have several mentees in the class. Invite your son to join us.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome, it is indeed a grand thing to watch our sons as they progress. Because you're a Veteran I don't need to tell you this, but any support he can get from home will help, sometimes nothing more than an 'at-a-boy' can go a long way. Keep us updated.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome proud Dad.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

So, has your son completed RASP?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, ncgater.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
ncgater
Ranger Dad

Post by ncgater »

Rangers, Parents and others, I apologize. I have been posting elsewhere on this site and neglecting my introduction thread. I am proud to say that my son graduated this past Friday, Class 03-16. I tried to post a video of the class reciting the Ranger Creed but I just could not get it to upload all the way.

Graduation was fantastic. It was short of course and the new Rangers did not like it but all the family members loved it. They did that thing when the graduates were instructed to put on the Tan Beret and I swear they were in perfect sync. Anyways, it looked pretty cool. The Q&A with First Sergeant and Command Sergeant Major (I believe) after graduation was very helpful.

To say I am proud is an understatement. My son has been assigned to 1st BN. He is very excited to go there. His attitude is real good which is very important I think. It has been quite a ride to get to this point, and both he and I know it is just starting.

RLTW!
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

That is great news, tell your son we are proud of him. What he has accomplished so far is more than most men will ever do. Great job on raising a great son in a day when half the kids his age only care about getting drunk, getting high or getting in trouble. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
ncgater
Ranger Dad

Post by ncgater »

Thanks rangerjd. I will pass it on. The new Rangers went to Batallion this past Monday. My son is assigned to Delta Company. I guess the Ranger BN marches in the St. Patrick's Day parade? It has turned into quite the event. I don't recall much ado about St. Patty's day when I was stationed at Ft. Stewart.

I am pleased to see my promotion. From Vet to Ranger Dad. I wear that badge with honor.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ncgater wrote: I am pleased to see my promotion. From Vet to Ranger Dad. I wear that badge with honor.
It is well earned. You fathered a Ranger. RLTW!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Fuego
Ranger

Post by Fuego »

Congrats for raising an Army Ranger. Take the wife out for a steak and scotch dinner.
RC 05-00
A/1/502, 101st Abn 97-98
B/1/501, 172 SIB 98-01
B/2/3, 2ID 01-02
A/3/187, 101st Abn 02-04 (OEF1/OIF1)

USARA - LRR4889 (Life Member)

Shoot low, they're riding Shetlands.
ncgater
Ranger Dad

Post by ncgater »

Thanks Ranger Jim and Ranger Fuego. I have more questions now, as a parent. Eventually every Ranger in Batallion nowadays cycles through a deployment or two. Where might I go to find information on such a thing when it occurs? I have encouraged my Ranger to ask his SL and PS about a Power of Attorney. What else might I encourage him to investigate? Not looking for info on the operations side of things but more the personal.

Also, what about contact if he were to be deployed overseas? Does your phone work? Might he be able to connect to WiFi on occasion? I suppose we will both learn a lot when and if he deploys but it might be night to know a little info before such an event. Like how often might I be able to Skype with him? Just wondering.

Thanks
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ncgater wrote:Thanks Ranger Jim and Ranger Fuego. I have more questions now, as a parent. Eventually every Ranger in Batallion nowadays cycles through a deployment or two. Where might I go to find information on such a thing when it occurs? I have encouraged my Ranger to ask his SL and PS about a Power of Attorney. What else might I encourage him to investigate? Not looking for info on the operations side of things but more the personal.

Also, what about contact if he were to be deployed overseas? Does your phone work? Might he be able to connect to WiFi on occasion? I suppose we will both learn a lot when and if he deploys but it might be night to know a little info before such an event. Like how often might I be able to Skype with him? Just wondering.

Thanks
What have you learned about deployments?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
ncgater
Ranger Dad

Post by ncgater »

Jim wrote:What have you learned about deployments?
Mostly that the newbies don't go unless they have prior experience Ranger Jim.

My Ranger is a bit disappointed but I have been trying to explain that it is not only about him but also about the rest of the team. He does need to enhance his skills and he needs to be better integrated into the team, for everyone's safety. No worries, he will get his chance. I am hoping he gets to go to school to earn his tab first though.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”