Introduction- Chris

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
PrimeC
Egg

Introduction- Chris

Post by PrimeC »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Chris, I am a veteran, served 2009-2012 AD, I am currently 24 years old. I was a combat engineer serving with 326 EN BN part of 20th EN BDE. I spent a tour downrange in Iraq doing route clearance. I'm from Connecticut and I'm currently back in school now to earn a degree in business management and to try and attend OCS afterwards. I'm here because I'm highly interested in learning/becoming a potential officer in the Ranger Regiment. Why? Regular Army, while at times felt strenuous, I wanted more. I want to be a part of an organization that is highly looked upon and known for its crazy way of life, insane PT standards, and camaraderie like non-other. I want to learn as much as I can here, whether it be rules, do's and don'ts, or PT goals, I want to prepare myself as much as I can because I know that will be the greatest challenge I will face. I look forward to knowing you all.

Regards,
Chris
511th SAPPER Co 2009/2012
326 EN BN
20th EN BDE
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction- Chris

Post by Jim »

Chris, At this site we take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Tell us more about yourself: Where are you going to school? Did you already earn your CAB and Sapper tab? What branch do you hope to be commissioned into? Are you a member of the USAR / ARNG? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

Chris, If you want to be commissioned and are currently in school consider ROTC. With your prior service you should be able to start ROTC with advanced placement as a Military Science (MS) III student. You'd have a ROTC summer camp after your MS III year followed by your MS IV year. I am not sure how ROTC is organized today but back in the day it was a 3-4 hour class once a week each semester for those two years. I found ROTC to be an easy A grade. I don't know if it is still an option, but ROTC students have attended Ranger school instead of ROTC summer camp. Airborne and Air Assault slots were also often available to ROTC students. If you are close to graduation consider doing ROTC as a grad student. If you want to make a career in the military as an officer, you'll eventually need to get a Masters degree, might as well get it out of the way now. Just watch out for age limits. You want Ranger Batt? Tons of info here about how to do it.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
PrimeC
Egg

Post by PrimeC »

Ranger Jim, I have not gotten a Sapper Tab yet or a CAB. In my unit, they were mostly reserved slots for Sapper School for incoming officers. I hope to be branched into Infantry, Engineering, and Armor in that order. I go to Southern Connecticut State University. Currently, I am part of the IRR. Personally, I couldn't really do AR/NG, a weekend a month is just too much complacency.

Ranger John, Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer ROTC, but we would need to go to a nearby school for it. I have talked to the state recruiting officer for ROTC. I currently hold a 3.4 GPA and have sent him multiple copies of my college transcript and schedule. I met with the officer once, and he never responded to any of my emails and phone calls again. I would have liked to attend ROTC mainly because I know they are able to receive more opportunities in school, its just I can't get a hold of the HMFIC. I'm starting my junior year in a week and I also have a part time/full time Security Officer position as well so I guess OCS might be my best option at the moment.
511th SAPPER Co 2009/2012
326 EN BN
20th EN BDE
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PrimeC wrote:
Ranger Jim, I have not gotten a Sapper Tab yet or a CAB. In my unit, they were mostly reserved slots for Sapper School for incoming officers. I hope to be branched into Infantry, Engineering, and Armor in that order. I go to Southern Connecticut State University. Currently, I am part of the IRR. Personally, I couldn't really do AR/NG, a weekend a month is just too much complacency.
Well, at least you got a campaign ribbon and a combat patch. I was an SSG when I went to OCS, and it gave me a leg up on most of my contemporaries. Try to ensure that you get credit for your IRR time. It counts for years of service pay, but not for retirement. Also as a combat arms officer you need to attend Ranger School.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”