Aeron ("moose") intro

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Moose93
Embryo

Aeron ("moose") intro

Post by Moose93 »

hey all, I'm Aeron, 21, from southern MD. I'm currently serving active duty (joined end of 2011) in the navy stationed in sasebo, Japan. I have intentions of finishing the roughly 6 months on my contract and enlisting in the Army to serve with the 75th. Very motivated, humble, and eager to learn as much as possible before I go. I really appreciate this site and the info provided. I'm hoping that through networking here I can also find a training partner while I prep for RASP. Been training mostly on my own and it kind of sucks. I have no competition or anyone else with the same determination to push me. Also training on a ship can be a big pain in the ass lol
Before I go any further I'd also like to disclose that yes, I'm a BUD/S drop. Only made it through orientation and the first week of 1st phase. I would like to say that I have learned ALOT from that experience and I have no shame because of that. I mean yea for a good time after while I was undesignated chipping paint and rust and hating my life I dwelled on it, but as I grew and matured I realized that shit I know this is what I want to devote my life to, so one little setback won't stop me. Plus all the shit talkers here I have to deal with who belittle me and try and make me as miserable as them. You won't believe the amount of fat assed dickheads here who pull the whole 'oh yea bud/s, I could have made it. But my eyes, or my back, or my knees, or blah blah blah fucking blah" lol had a dude ask me; "so why would you want to get shot at for a living?" These dudes Havnt got a damn clue. Anyway before I keep rambling let me know if you want to know more. Thanks for having me here I do really appreciate it.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
gRavepc
Ranger

Re: Aeron ("moose") intro

Post by gRavepc »

Welcome.

Why don't you just go back to BUD/S?
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Well couple of reasons actually. Every month you can check a list called career waypoints to see what rates(mos) you qualify for. Then if you want to either strike or switch to that rate, or in my case get back into a spec war program, there has to be an available slot for your specific year group. It never showed up again for my year group. In my class there was an e5 that spent around 8 years trying to get back to BUD/S, even sacrificing his chance at making e6. Well he finally made it, then medical found something wrong with his liver and disqualed him before we even got to Coronado. I just don't want to spend any more time in the Navy than I have to getting stagnant and end up not even getting another chance.
It also has to do with the current Hollywood culture associated with the teams. All these dudes flood in to try an be seals an lock up spots for others to get another shot. Also I'm not into the whole spotlight thing. I just feel the Army is just a better fit, and I've always had an intrest in the 75th and what you guys do. Found that I'm not too much of a water guy...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Understandable.

What type of drop did you recieve from BUD/S?
Was it because of an event failure, administrative or quitting?
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Failed a 2 mile ocean swim in the first week of phase because I guided me an my swim buddy to the wrong bouy like an asshole, got me an my buddy a good smoke session so I felt bad for failing him. Then I quit the next morning at breakfast. To be honest, looking back, I was way too young and my maturity level was sub par to say the least. I didn't think about all the sacrifices becoming a seal entailed. I've definitely grown since then. Quitting will never ever EVER be an option again. I don't ever want to feel that failure and embarrassment again in my life.
I just want a fresh start in the SOF community, and fix the mistakes I made the first go round.

Side note; I read the FAQ, but should I address you guys with the ranger name? I don't want to disrespect anyone.
-Theodore Roosevelt
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Moose93.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Moose93 wrote:Side note; I read the FAQ, but should I address you guys with the ranger name? I don't want to disrespect anyone.
Actually, we verify everyone who has Ranger beneath their avatar. We are proud to be Rangers--we earned it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. As an actively serving military member you are not required to address us as Rangers, if I'm not mistaken that's also in the Rules/Regs section for military or Veterans.

Remember that we are not a FB or Yahoo page. Attention to detail is important to us even in what we type, and is also a Ranger trait.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I've got to be honest with you Moose, the fact that you quit bothers me. It's not something I couldn't get over if I see the right attitude, but it still bothers me a lot. Quitting breeds quitting. It has been my experience that once a person quits it become easier and easier to quit the next time. I'm not saying it happens every time, but it happens enough. It you're serious about this then you need to go into this with all of your heart, mind and soul. You've quit once, it'll be easier for you to quit again, you need to realize this and take steps to rectify the situation. You have to be in good shape, that's a given, but more importantly you have to have your mind in the right place. I hope you're right, that it was just a matter of immaturity on your part and now that you've matured you've got your mind right. Only time will tell. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll start paying more attention to the little things.
rangerjd wrote:I've got to be honest with you Moose, the fact that you quit bothers me. It's not something I couldn't get over if I see the right attitude, but it still bothers me a lot. Quitting breeds quitting. It has been my experience that once a person quits it become easier and easier to quit the next time. I'm not saying it happens every time, but it happens enough. It you're serious about this then you need to go into this with all of your heart, mind and soul. You've quit once, it'll be easier for you to quit again, you need to realize this and take steps to rectify the situation. You have to be in good shape, that's a given, but more importantly you have to have your mind in the right place. I hope you're right, that it was just a matter of immaturity on your part and now that you've matured you've got your mind right. Only time will tell. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
I appreciate the honesty rangerjb, and that's a very fair opinion, and especially because you're looking from the outside in I know what impression it gives. It's not the first time someone has said that to me. But as dramatic as it sounds, I honestly think about it every single day, how it felt to fail myself, and I know for a fact that I will never let it happen again. I have truly learned from my experience and I use it as ammunition. With that being said however, I know talk is cheap. I'm very eager to prove to you and everyone in the Regiment that I do have what it takes to serve along side you all.

Again, thanks for having me.
-Theodore Roosevelt
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

rangerjd wrote:I've got to be honest with you Moose, the fact that you quit bothers me. It's not something I couldn't get over if I see the right attitude, but it still bothers me a lot. Quitting breeds quitting. It has been my experience that once a person quits it become easier and easier to quit the next time. I'm not saying it happens every time, but it happens enough. It you're serious about this then you need to go into this with all of your heart, mind and soul. You've quit once, it'll be easier for you to quit again, you need to realize this and take steps to rectify the situation. You have to be in good shape, that's a given, but more importantly you have to have your mind in the right place. I hope you're right, that it was just a matter of immaturity on your part and now that you've matured you've got your mind right. Only time will tell. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
This.

Should you ever make it to any military team, no matter the level, knowing that you quit when things got tough, there will always be that risk that you are the weak link, the one who cannot be counted on when the team is in desperate mortal danger. Had I the choice, I would not want you on my team, ever.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Fair enough Lefty. Thank you for the feed back.
-Theodore Roosevelt
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Is there a reason you should not be banned for being someone who thinks you are on facebook? Have you talked to a recruiter?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Moose93
Embryo

Post by Moose93 »

Ranger Jim, I do not at all think I am on Facebook, and I certainly do not want to be banned. I truly apologize for the impression I am giving. I'm just trying to stay active on the site, and gain a tiny bit of insight on the 75th culture. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on, and only post responses to questions asked.

I have talked to a recruiter last time I was on leave in the states in January, and I was weighing the options as far as blue to green, or just getting out then going in, which currently is about the same thing. I'm not sure if my rank will carry over, and I asked how available opt 40 contracts are currently. I'm going to bet on the process taking about a year, so I'm looking at a late 2016-early 2017 ship date.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”