Intro Mike

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Intro Mike

Post by Idonttry »

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am a former Air Force analyst. I served 8 years in the Air Force with two deployments, one as Force Protection in Iraq. While homestation I was stationed at McConnell AFB in Wichita, KS. I was part of the 22 MOS (Maintenance Operations Squadron). Currently I live in Cincinnati, OH with my fiance and our two children.

I joined armyranger.com mainly because I am inspired by Rangers and their warrior spirit. I am currently having a mental debate about enlisting in the Army with an option 40 contract. Regardless of whether that happens I still respect what you do and thank you for allowing my family and I to rest under this soft blanket of freedom. I look forward to interacting with some of the worlds finest Soldiers.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: Intro Mike

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Mike. Thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Mike. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within 72 hours. Please tell us more about yourself. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Post by Idonttry »

I will do that Jim but I will be very disappointed with the results. I will be truthful with the PT results but truth be told my 6 years of civilian life have left me soft.

More details about myself; I am 32 and I am currently a delivery driver. I have a daughter that is 2 1/2 and a 6 month old son. Before I left the Air Force I was training to become a PJ. I volunteered to take a group of 9 individuals from McConnell AFB to Iraq for a Force Protection tasking. I think they call it Force Protection to get you pumped about your job but in reality it is a tasking to babysit local nationals and third country nationals while they work on base. After that deployment I became disillusioned with the Air Force and decided it was time to go. If I could do it all again I would have just used B2G as a transition.

My current dilemma with joining is my children. I am not afraid to sacrifice everything for my country and my family but I am scared to leave my children growing up without a father. I don't like the fact that I enjoy freedoms that I feel I haven't earned. I don't like that my children are being afforded freedoms that someone else earns for them. My friends and family tell me that I have done my part but I don't feel that way. Friends ask me why I would want to special operations and I don't know how to answer in a way they understand.

I feel like I may have rambled a little too long but I guess that is a picture of who I am.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I hate to interject where it's not needed, but why do you feel you are enjoying freedoms you didn't earn? I'm not a Ranger, but I'd venture to say you served, you deployed, you offered your life for your country.....you earned them. Not everyone is Infantry, or Rangers, or even combat arms...but they are all required to complete the mission.

Just my $0.02.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Post by Idonttry »

I have asked myself that question as well IEDmagnet. The conclusion I have come to is that it is not what you have given but how much of what you have to offer you given. I have given my country my time and my loyalty. I have spent holidays away from my family and friends. For some that is what they have to offer, that is all they have to offer. I believe deep down that I have more to offer. This country is made up of those that live insides it's freedom, those that support the mission of freedom, and those that provide the freedom. I believe I have more than the capability to support the mission of freedom.

There are two selfish points that I didn't include. I also want to serve next to the best the world has to offer and I want to achieve my maximum potential. I don't want to go to my grave wondering if I could have done more for this world. After 6 years of trying to figure out what the hell i have to offer the world, this is what I have come up with.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Brother, I say go for it if you can. My opinion is it's extra, a welcome extra, but extra. I'm betting no one I know or knew would belittle what you've done already. With that, I slip back into my shadows.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to site, Mike. Thank you for your service.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Mike & Thank you for your service to our country.

excerpt of Idonttry wrote: but in reality it is a tasking to babysit local nationals and third country nationals while they work on base.
I bet those people you say you baby sat - had you there today to protect them from the likes of ISIS/ISIL are now reminiscing on how well you protected them and things were really good [then]- thanks to the likes of you.
Food for thought.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Well first thank you for your service. Now I am not sure what the current rules are for prior enlisted coming back in with Opt 40's and what MOSes you would be eligible for. Which MOS were you looking into? Now for the kids. I joined at the ripe old age of 34 with a wife and 4 kids. And my youngest was about 2 at the time. A lot of it will depend on your wife. I got really lucky and my wife can handle anything that comes her way. She did 2 moves by herself with the kids. I was simply some manual labor for 2 of them. She pretty much took care of the rest. There is a lot to consider but overall at the end of the day the decision as I looked at it is yours and hers. You must be on the same page. If you want to you can PM me with any questions you have.

RLTW!
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Post by Idonttry »

Very good point steadfast. I am pretty hard on myself, probably harder than I should be in this instance.

Thank you for the info Grim. Today I was thinking about everything and I am amazed at men that join with a family. It takes more courage than most will ever understand.
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Post by Idonttry »

Grim666 I apologize for not using your full name. That was just laziness on my part. I meant no disrespect.
Idonttry
USAF Veteran

Post by Idonttry »

PT Test: Initial

Push-ups:34 (proper form)
Sit-ups: 30
2-mile: 17:25
Pull-ups: 2

167/300

I am not happy with that at all. Next month will be in the 200s.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”