INTRO - HPII

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
HPII
Egg

INTRO - HPII

Post by HPII »

Greetings Rangers, Families, Service Members and Colleagues:

I am the proud parent of a 17-year old son currently deep in the recruiting process who is striving to obtain an 11X Option 40 contract. As a rising HS senior he would not be eligible to ship until after graduation next June, but the Recruiter is anxious of course to get him signed up in Future Soldiers/DEP now and my son is eager to get going as well.

We have little military background or experience in our immediate family or friends so much of our information comes from the Recruiter himself (Queensbury, NY station) and the internet, which as you know can be outdated, confusing or downright misleading. This site, which I just found, seems to be the best source for clean, straight-forward information and support on the topic anywhere. Thanks for that. I just wish I had found you sooner.

My wife and I are college educated professionals, sophisticated in many things and smart enough to know when we don't know, and we don't know enough about this process to make us comfortable. Knowledge makes us comfortable, but time is of the essence as the Recruiter has our son scheduled to go to MEPS for testing, signing and oath on Tuesday. I would expect my son to take the initiative to post here himself but he is today meeting with the recruiter to finalize some paperwork and learn if his desired MOS is available at this time.

I'll leave my more urgent questions for the Recruiting thread and look forward to posting further, hopefully as the father of an 11X Option 40 enlistee.

Thank you.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: INTRO - HPII

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. I would suggest that you have your son register here and we can give him our best advice about his possible future journey.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
HPII
Egg

Post by HPII »

I appreciate the welcome Ranger Ron and agree with your suggestion. I will encourage him to do so tonight while handing him a printout of the post about initiative from this site!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, HPII. If your son truly wants to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. We will look forward to your son's introduction. We have an active mentorship program for future soldiers who already have an option 40 contract. In the letters from school thread, you can see the comments of our mentees as they progress.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, HPII.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
HPII
Egg

Post by HPII »

I appreciate the warm welcomes Rangers Jim, ManchuV and CharlieRanger1FFV.

A quick update of Good News/Bad News: Bad News - We learned today my son did not meet the GT score minimum test requirement and thus is not eligible for an Option 40. The Good News is that by learning this now he has something further to work towards and a slot for another better qualified candidate will now be opened for training and The Regiment.

I trust my son will strive to be the best soldier he can be. There's no reason he can't seek excellence and initiative in his career even without a scroll or tab.

Best wishes to you all and thank you for leading the way and setting such fine examples to our children.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”