Intro - Wigs

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
heyitsreid
Embryo

Intro - Wigs

Post by heyitsreid »

Good Afternoon,

My name is Wigs. I am 32 and have been serving with the US Army for the past 5 1/2 years. I am a CPL assigned to the 306th EN CO.

I have always had an appreciation for those in uniform, but there is just something in the way that a Ranger carries himself that speaks to me.

I want to be a Ranger.

I want to do something bigger than myself. I want to do something that will test me emotionally, mentally, and physically. Earning the privilege of US Army Soldier was great and I have worn my uniform with pride, but there is still an itch that has yet to be scratched.

I have a sit down with the retention NCO to re-up next month. As I stipulated with him, the only way I will do so is I can get my way to RASP.

Although I know deep down it is going to be a fight because I am PS - I won't stop until an instructor is yelling my Candidate number during RASP 1.

This has been a long time coming and I should have listened to my Recruiter the first time around. However, the past is the past and we always move forward.

This will happen. Come hell or high water; I will earn that tab and scroll, but even better I will be able to be a part of the greatest fraternity of brothers, heroes, and gentlemen that the world has ever known. That of the 75th.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - Wigs

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Wigs, glad to have you aboard. I took the liberty to move your other entry to the proper thread. Please read all you can find. We here at armyranger.com take great pride in the fine young men who come by here on their life journey. Most questions you may have are addressed by using the search feature. located at the top right of this page. Tell us more, what MOS do you have? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Please begin by memorizing the Ranger creed and start living by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
heyitsreid
Embryo

Post by heyitsreid »

Thank you very much. I have been coming to this website for a while now. Conducting my own recon.

As far as learning the creed - WILCO.

Currently I hold the MOS of 12R however, I am re-classing as a 68W seeing as how the human body is what fascinates me, as we are all the same on the inside, well give or take a few anomalies and abnormalities.

I deep down have always wanted to be a Ranger because Rangers are cut from a different cloth. They are a different breed of Soldier that doesn't understand the words "quit" or "give up". Those words do not belong in their vocabulary. They are the kind of Soldier everyone wants to be, but not everyone can be a Ranger. I am truly believe I can be. Not because of my own qualities, but because I can bring out the best in others. I am a team player but can function on my own if needed.

As a Junior NCO my job is to lead by example and motivate - you're only as strong as your weakest team member. So, as teammates it's our job to collectively get the job done. That's what the Rangers are to me. A team that collectively wants to get the job done. Not for praise. Not for accolade but for each other. The team.

I want to be part of a sacred tradition, The 75th. I want to share that brotherhood, Batt Boys. I want to serve to the best of my abilities, Sua Sponte.

I want to serve with the best.

In my eyes the 75th is the BEST.
heyitsreid
Embryo

Post by heyitsreid »

Thank you very much.
Doc_Dino
Tadpole

Post by Doc_Dino »

So are you going to re-enlist to reclass to 68W? If so volunteer for RASP at AIT if its still an option getting to RASP after that is a bit of a pain.
4th Infantry 2011-present
heyitsreid
Embryo

Post by heyitsreid »

Doc_Dino wrote:So are you going to re-enlist to reclass to 68W? If so volunteer for RASP at AIT if its still an option getting to RASP after that is a bit of a pain.
Yes. That's the plan. I know it's going to be tough but the drive, dedication, and motivation I have in pursuing this is unrelenting. It's time to go for broke, you know?

I appreciate the tips. I am going to venture down every avenue of approach and see what turns up.

Thanks again.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Doc_Dino wrote:So are you going to re-enlist to reclass to 68W? If so volunteer for RASP at AIT if its still an option getting to RASP after that is a bit of a pain.
Please refrain from dispensing advice on a path you have yet to complete.

To the OP, welcome. There are many here that have done the 68W route, you're in the right place. Read much and PT your ass off in the meantime. Those 68W's will be along to assist if they see fit.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

When will you be reclassing?? 68W is a tough track. I do agree if you can get RASP at AIT great. The other things is whether or not they will give you that opportunity when you reclass. I do not know, I have never needed to do that but perhaps some one on here is a bit more knowledgeable in that area. The other option would be to try and get airborne in your reclass. Let me know if you get your reclass.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Wigs.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Doc_Dino
Tadpole

Post by Doc_Dino »

cams wrote:
Please refrain from dispensing advice on a path you have yet to complete.

To the OP, welcome. There are many here that have done the 68W route, you're in the right place. Read much and PT your ass off in the meantime. Those 68W's will be along to assist if they see fit.
Roger Ranger Cams I should have added a little more clarity to my post. My intent was not to refer to RASP as I do not have knowledge of this yet. I do know that once a soldier makes it to their duty station they will have to spend at least a year there and then receive Approval from the chain of command to volunteer( in the form of letters of recommendation and a signed DA 4187), If the OP goes to a unit that is deploying or understaffed like I did then it can be difficult at that point. I can say this from experience because I have been attempting to volunteer for RASP for quite some time and have been denied for deployment and staffing reasons on 2 different occasions prior to my recent Application submission which was also a pain to produce. Looking back on it all I truly wish that I had not listened to other people and just volunteered in AIT. I just don't want to see the OP make the same mistakes I did is all.

Again sorry for the Confusion
Doc_Dino
4th Infantry 2011-present
heyitsreid
Embryo

Post by heyitsreid »

Grim666 wrote:When will you be reclassing?? 68W is a tough track. I do agree if you can get RASP at AIT great. The other things is whether or not they will give you that opportunity when you reclass. I do not know, I have never needed to do that but perhaps some one on here is a bit more knowledgeable in that area. The other option would be to try and get airborne in your reclass. Let me know if you get your reclass.
Well, I am trying to reclass ASAP. I know its going to be tough but again, its my passion/obsession with anatomy & physiology coupled with my equally intense desire to learn has me firing on all cylinders. Its 0410 and I am getting ready for some PT. I know that I will have to explore every option to get my ass there but I won't stop. I'll harass if I need to. Maybe my desire will be beneficial? I appreciate the advice.

I'll keep you posted throughout.

I have a feeling I'll be picking your brain if that's OK with you.

Thanks again.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”